PDA

View Full Version : How To: Gas Flap Fix --- leading edge sticks up above the hood a bit.

nkemp
09-16-2013, 10:07 PM
My gas flap leading edge used to sit proud of the hood. In other words, the front of it stuck up a bit, about 1/4". And ... every time I opened it it was noisy and not smooth operating. I thought it was just that way. When I looked at it I thought it would take adjusting the hinge to get it to fit flush with the hood.

Here are some pictures trying to show the flap as it used to fit. The first picture was extracted from another photo and the front of the car was in focus ... not the gas cap.:2197721978

The other day I decided to take it off ( 2 small (7mm?) bolts) and take a closer look. The gas flap is two metal parts glued together. In my case, the front end glue had come undone and the decorative side (out side) was sprung up a bit from the base side. I removed the old glue at least as much as I could. I then inserted some polyurethane windshield adhesive between the two sheets of metal and clamped it (use waxpaper to keep the polyurethane from getting on your tools). This glued it back together just like it was from the factory.

I then reinstalled it and it looks perfect. The gas flap is now in the same plane as the hood. When I open the flap it works smooth and quiet.

Here is what the glued portion looks like. Not real pretty but few ever see it: 21979

I wish I had done this sooner. I also wish I had taken some photos to help explain. Maybe someone else can take some pictures when they reglue theirs.

The thing I did notice since it is fixed and reinstalled is that the windshield end of the flap vibrates/jiggles as you drive... a bit distracting.