PDA

View Full Version : Leather Dye - what's best?

sdg3205
09-18-2013, 02:46 AM
I'd like to re-dye my seat covers. I've got some NOS seat bottoms that were once dyed a more bluish grey by accident. At any rate I'd do all the covers at once for a better match.

Any leather dyes stand above the rest? I've had mixed results with Leatherique's product line.

Cheers!

sdg3205
10-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Bump.

rdarlington
10-22-2013, 10:11 PM
I'd like to know, as well. My knee cushion on the passenger side has some brown areas across the top that detract from the rest of the car. I gave hydrogen peroxide cream a try, but it did nothing at all. Turns out that stuff turns yellow/brown ABS plastic back to looking brand new (aka, retr0brite)

-Bob

sdg3205
10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Bob,

You're in luck. You only need the SEM vinyl dye for the knee pad. You can find cans of it most auto stores!

fnzen
10-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Dave
Im researching some leather dyes for my new ride, Ill give you an update, most likely it involves airbrushing the dye...

sdg3205
10-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Dave
Im researching some leather dyes for my new ride, Ill give you an update, most likely it involves airbrushing the dye...

Thanks!

Leatherique's still my first choice but Rob is hard as hell I get in touch with. I've already got a few of the products for the job from them, and their dyes can be applied without air.

The problem is he doesn't have the Delorean colour on file and I don't have a leather swatch to send at the moment. I've asked if he can match it to the SEM dye though. It's pretty close.

rdarlington
10-23-2013, 02:17 AM
Bob,

You're in luck. You only need the SEM vinyl dye for the knee pad. You can find cans of it most auto stores!

Any idea what color? My local stores do not carry SEM products. Looking through eBay and Amazon, I see about 20 different shades.

Thanks,
Bob

sdg3205
10-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Any idea what color? My local stores do not carry SEM products. Looking through eBay and Amazon, I see about 20 different shades.

Thanks,
Bob

IIRC, its the Acura Charcoal 17333... assuming you need grey, not black.

tommyrich
10-23-2013, 07:16 AM

I use SEM Landau Black for my black interior. Good stuff!

Tom

rdarlington
10-24-2013, 12:14 AM

Thanks! Just ordered a can from Amazon and will see how it goes.

-Bob

rdarlington
11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Dave, without a doubt it is Acura Charcoal 17333. Mine came in today. I sprayed some on a piece of card stock and it didn't look right at first, but looked really close when dry. I gave it a chance and sprayed my passenger knee pad where it was stained brown on top. It erased the brown and blends in perfectly with the rest of the knee pad. I can't tell where the paint ends and the vinyl starts -it's that good.

This is the exact stuff I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Sem-Products-17333-Acura-Charcoal/dp/B000H6PUO

sdg3205
11-04-2013, 09:56 PM
That's great news! I used it in my dash, binnacle and knee pads. Now I just have to get a leather dye matched that well.

Toby sent up a swatch that I'm passing on to the dye maker at Leatherique.

Rich_NYS
03-09-2016, 08:18 AM
That's great news! I used it in my dash, binnacle and knee pads. Now I just have to get a leather dye matched that well.

Toby sent up a swatch that I'm passing on to the dye maker at Leatherique.

Dave,

Did you get the dye you wanted, and did you dye your seats? I've been using the Leatherique dye; I've done one seat so far, and used it on the vinyl parts as well as the leather. So far, I really like it.

I used SEM on the interior of my last car, but I'm planning to use Leatherique dye on the interior of 4728. In addition to what could be a better result, the vinyl & leather can be dyed without coloring the stitching. I'll probably do a knee pad & give it a "quasi stress test" for comparison against how well SEM bonded.

Reading this thread, it appears Leatherique didn't previously have DeLorean Grey until Toby sent a swatch....thanks for helping to make that happen! :cheers:

Pics for comparison (lighting is fluorescent...I'll soon bring the pieces out into natural light to see how they look.)

sdg3205
03-09-2016, 10:00 AM
Yes the dye worked out very well. I'm very happy with it!

I actually ended up sending a swatch with SEM though because I wanted everything to match since I was doing the vinyl with the SEM anyway. Also, the grey leather used in our cars seemed to have a lot of variance.