PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Warped bottom of bumper

Silkie
09-19-2013, 07:53 PM
My Delorean's bumper was this way when i bought it,
Which was in August.
It broke loose from one it's bolts where it mounts.
So i figured after that heat caused it to warp.
Is there any way i can fix it?
Or is this a body shop repair?
Or a brand new back end?

Michael
09-19-2013, 08:19 PM
I have seen a few rear fascias like that. I can only assume that heat causes this, or age, or a combination of the two. If it were me, I would remove the fascia and work out the warped areas with a heat gun...but I have done a LOT of bumpers this way so be warned, if you have little experience with this technique you can easily melt your paint, and possibly ruin the fascia all together.

After the warp is worked out, a epoxied metal brace might be in order much like the eyebrow fix for the front.

Silkie
09-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I have seen a few rear fascias like that. I can only assume that heat causes this, or age, or a combination of the two. If it were me, I would remove the fascia and work out the warped areas with a heat gun...but I have done a LOT of bumpers this way so be warned, if you have little experience with this technique you can easily melt your paint, and possibly ruin the fascia all together.

After the warp is worked out, a epoxied metal brace might be in order much like the eyebrow fix for the front.

It sounds like something i can handle.
Thanks for the idea of a metal brace!
I actually never thought of that.

Jimmyvonviggle
09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
If I am to mistaken on my car there is apiece of metal between the muffler and the lower part of the rear fascia.

LordFly
09-19-2013, 09:24 PM
If I am to mistaken on my car there is apiece of metal between the muffler and the lower part of the rear fascia.

Are you referring to the muffler shield? #41 here store.delorean.com/c-271-1-5-0-exhaust-systemmufflerheatshields.aspx

Jonathan
09-19-2013, 09:33 PM
Silkie, your car and mine seem to have led similar lives :eek5:

If you look up and under the rear of that lower plastic edge on the bumper, do you see this metal edging strip (or what is left of it)?

http://store.delorean.com/p-6483-lwr-support-bracket-rear-fascia.aspx

It would normally be bolted to the frame by 5 welded on bolts attached to the bracket, and then on the lower side, it will have 7 holes which correspond to 7 bolts epoxied into the backside of the bumper plastic.

Mine was wildly crooked when I got the car and I think I was down to about 2 of the 7 bolts along the bottom still attached. It seems they are easy to rust away and then when it is not being held tightly in place, the heat from the muffler starts to make things go all crooked.

Here's my new and old on the workshop bench mid-project.

Your frame holes are likely okay, but if the studs have snapped off, you can buy replacement SS ones which have a square end designed to be secured/epoxied back into that spot on the plastic and all carefully lined up to let you put the bolt through the 7 holes in the bracket. Plus doing the heat gun trick to take the warps out of the plastic. Fun fun.

Jimmyvonviggle
09-20-2013, 12:06 AM
Are you referring to the muffler shield? #41 here store.delorean.com/c-271-1-5-0-exhaust-systemmufflerheatshields.aspx

No, #46 as Jonathan has said.

WelmoedJ
09-20-2013, 04:15 AM

Instead of epoxied material, it may be easier to use stainless, no need to paint.

john 05141
09-20-2013, 04:24 AM
Not sure heat caused this.
Underbodies could be seriously different in size, up to an inch in length.
If it is a narrower underbody, and the holes in the facia are not adjusted it can warp this over time.
I have heard this could cause the eyebrows too, the plastic will warp in its weakes spot.

So I would not only fic the warping but make sure the holes have some play too.

Jan