PDA

View Full Version : United We Stand...the 9/11 Tribute DeLorean (photo archive...November 2001)

Rich W
07-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Coming up on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, I thought I would pull these photos
out of my archive and post them in DMCTalk.org, as we all remember 9/11/01.

Toby Peterson applied this "custom finish" to his DeLorean, Winged1, way before
"car wraps" were widely available. These are all custom cut and fit pieces.

I will let Toby comment on the details of his work, if he has some free time.
I cannot recall how long it took, but I know it was a really, really long time.

Attaching a few of Toby's photos below, from November 2001:

Later,
Rich W.

Soundkillr
07-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I really like this! Man it looks good!!

dvonk
07-16-2011, 10:58 PM
what is the VIN on this D?

sdg3205
07-17-2011, 12:49 AM
what is the VIN on this D?

It was not permanent. I saw Toby's car a month back in it's stainless glory.

DSNW Toby
01-18-2012, 01:08 AM
Coming up on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11, I thought I would pull these photos
out of my archive and post them in DMCTalk.org, as we all remember 9/11/01.

Toby Peterson applied this "custom finish" to his DeLorean, Winged1, way before
"car wraps" were widely available. These are all custom cut and fit pieces.

I will let Toby comment on the details of his work, if he has some free time.
I cannot recall how long it took, but I know it was a really, really long time.

Attaching a few of Toby's photos below, from November 2001:

Later,
Rich W.

I was stirring around in DMCTalk looking for something else, and ran across this thread. I apologize for not responding in a timely manner ... we were quite involved this past summer and I didn't get onto the forums much.

This "wrap" was made from rolls of colored vinyl contact paper (self adhesive stuff used for lining shelves, etc). The proportions of the flag were correct - width of the stripes, size of the blue field, size of the stars, etc. The stars were individually hand cut - all 50 of them. Looking from directly above, the stripes were all perfectly straight. The only parts that were made "professionally" were the gold lettering. The local FastSigns store did the lettering decals at cost in support of the project. The really challenging part in this was getting that cheap vinyl to stretch over the curves and contours of the body without wrinkling and tearing. I used a heat gun to gently warm and soften the vinyl as required. Avoiding bubbles was a huge issue. The project took me about 24 hours to apply, spread over a few days. While I was doing this to Winged1, Misty was making us the costumes to go with it. I dressed up as Uncle Sam, and Misty was the Statue of Liberty (with a functional torch, by the way). This all was done in response to the 9/11 tragedy, and also for an upcoming PNDC club rally called the Blarney Ball Rally (now in its 21st year).

I was able to leave these decorations on the car for about 7 months before it started to look a bit tattered. We were asked to be in a huge Veteran's Day parade that year, along with numerous car shows. Talk about causing issues on the road. DeLoreans tend to attract attention anyway, but this nearly caused many accidents as people took second and third looks at the car as I drove by. It was all great fun, and a heartfelt response to a monumental event that has shaped America since then.

Winged1 is VIN 2248 for the person asking about that. The car was peeled back to stock during the summer of 2002 and has been more-or-less "normal" since then. I say "normal" but we have decorated the car in many ways for the Blarney Ball Rally held each year. You can jump onto the PNDC website (www.pndc.org) and look through the photo gallery over the years to see for your selves.