PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Favor

Dangermouse
10-18-2013, 08:49 AM
Guys, a serious post from me for once. One of our own needs a little favor (some of you may have already seen this via FB)

A fellow owner, Rob van der Veer who I talk to mostly on the Eurotec forum, but who is also a long time member (http://dmctalk.org/member.php?305-robvanderveer)on this forum, has been unwell for almost two years. You wouldn’t have particularly known it from his postings but he has mentioned it in passing a couple of times, but not in any depth. He has always been a charming guy with a great sense of humor. I think he is in his 20s perhaps, and lives in The Netherlands but has made the trip to DeLorean events in the UK over the years. He’s a great guy.

Anyway he posted this on the Eurotec forum this morning (http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3973&p=52908#p52908) as a brief expose on what’s been going on in his life recently as well as a small request at the end.

Calling all DeLorean owners /enthousiasts.

After almost two years of hard struggle and pain, yesterday i regained consciousness after a fourth and final operation in my face. For those that do not know, on februari 2012 a huge tumor was found in my left sinus, and things went downhill from there on. After a devastating chemotherapy from march till may i underwent a major 10 hour surgery that wore me out even more. I had lost 25 kg by then, but at least the tumor was out. During surgery they used my left Fibula to reconstruct my upper jaw. It didn't hold so 14 days later the bone was removed, leaving a huge gap in my face. On top of that the donorsite on my leg got infected. I found out that that infection (and not the tumor) would keep me bedridden for the next 12 months or so. I was given a small recovery window after that surgery, but in july 2012 i started radiotherapy to kill the last bits of cancer. It took three months of daily treatment and finished early october of that year. Needless to say this took away the remaining 5% of my energy. On top of this, my jaw muscles have been severely damaged and i have not chewed on anything since march last year which means i'm on fluid foods now 20 odd months.

Fast forward: i've been doing fysical therapy for 3 months now (since the infected leg was closed) so i could walk again, and prepare for the last operation. And finally yesterday the hole in my face has been closed with some skin and flesh taken from my right arm. Now i need to stay in hospital for 10 more days for observation.

But i am not yet done. I need to recover once again. And get back to work, and social life. And drive my DeLorean again. FaceBook has helped me enormously in the last two years. Especially all my DeLorean friends i made the last years. What would be my good wish, is to receive a postcard from people that know me or just want to wish me well. I hate to plead, but please send me a get well card to my parents address:

Rob van der Veer
J. van Heemskerckstraat 1
3351 SP Papendrecht ZH
The Netherlands

So, if you are out somewhere this weekend that sells post cards, (perhaps you are visiting the newly reopened national parks, perhaps you are in Canada, or Australia. ), please send him one.

(I hope he doesn’t mind my cross posting this)

Farrar
10-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Dermot. Rob posted this on his Facebook page, too, but I didn't see it.

dvonk
10-18-2013, 10:02 AM
damn, i had no idea... :(

Rob, if youre reading this, get well soon!

ALEXAKOS
10-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Good initiative mouse!:wink:

DeLorean03
10-18-2013, 02:21 PM
I will get one in the mail once my workweek is over. Wow.

DMCVegas
10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
That is damn rough man. I'm really sorry to hear this.

Get well soon, and know that a card is on it's way!

thirdmanj
10-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Will do! It'd be a pleasure!

That's The Nether"lands" not The Nether"regions" right? ;)

Domi
10-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I didn't know he was in such a bad shape.
I really feel sorry for him and hope he'll be able to recover his health pretty soon.

Dangermouse
10-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Shameless bump in case folks missed it.

sdg3205
10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Nothing shameless about it. Thank you for the reminder.

DMCVegas
10-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Card all filled out, and will be in the post tomorrow morning!

Dangermouse
10-25-2013, 08:36 AM
It would be nice if he got one from every state :aniclap:

He posted this photo yesterday of his hospital room wall:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=4592

ALEXAKOS
10-25-2013, 10:23 AM
My two classic cards are underway. One of he acropolis and one of he Greek islands. Enough "get well" already :clown:

Citizen
10-26-2013, 10:00 AM
Card from Texas on the way.

refugeefromcalif
10-26-2013, 05:31 PM
I have an envelope with a Get Well card ready to send. I just can't find/figure out what the postage should be.?
Anybody have a clue how many, (out of date), stamps I need?

George

Dangermouse
10-26-2013, 05:55 PM
It's normally $1:10 for a letter or a basic card to Europe

Either put the exact amount on or go crazy and use 3 Forever stamps

refugeefromcalif
10-26-2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks Dermot!
I have Lots of Forever stamps but, I'll also use some Old ones.
I'd rather over do it, then come up short.

George

thirdmanj
10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Card from Norfolk on the way!

john 05141
10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Belgium on its way too!

ALEXAKOS
10-31-2013, 11:45 AM
Good news is hat Rob no longer is at he hospital, and is now healing at home.

PS Keep sending hose cards! The address listed above is his home address.:wiggle:

robvanderveer
02-01-2014, 03:38 PM
I would like to take the opportunity to thank you all for you cards, your best wishes, your comforting words and funny jokes!

In total i received well over 300 cards! (About 327 i believe) i never had so many cards from outside the Netherlands before! I really helped me through. The entire season holidays they've above my bed at home.

I wasn't able to respond earlier because my main mail account had expired during my hospital visit, and frankly i did not have the energy to fix that.

I am feeling much better than i was back in october, but still not recovered well enough for driving, work or doing work on the car. I did manage to pick up a little electronics hobby perhaps it helps to make a useful product later on. For example, i made a prototype for a replacement dashboard clock with trip counter and temperature readout.

http://youtu.be/QJJclgxl1vU
http://youtu.be/QJJclgxl1vU

With many thanks,
Rob van der Veer
VIN 3965

Ps. I'm turning 42 march 15th. Thanks for thinking i was in my 20’s!

skill
02-01-2014, 09:42 PM
robvanderveer,

I'm sorry to hear about what you experienced and your battle with cancer. I recently became a member of DMCTalk last Nov. I just noticed our car VINs are not to far apart, my car is #3037. I hope you are doing better and have recovered. Awesome video! Id like to learn how to do that with my DeLorean! Keep in touch!

From San Diego, California

Brian
"sKill"

robvanderveer
02-02-2014, 06:00 AM
Thanks brian,

I'll write up a proper article on that clock if i get the time and energy. There are some small posts on the progress on this thread on deloreaneurotec (http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3943).

john 05141
02-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Hi Rob,

Very nice to hear from you again!
We hope to read more from you on this forum. Very noce work on the clock and superb idea to use the dimmer as a setting button
Get well soon
jan

robvanderveer
02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
Thanks, John. It's a long road but i'll get there. Who said 'where we're going, we don't need roads' can come by for tea so he can help me out!

cyberflexx
02-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Rob,

I am new to the forum and just read the thread. I am sorry for all the trauma that you had to experience and I really hope you are recovering well. Before you know it, you will be back on your feet and enjoying regular daily activities.

Here is you a belated e-postcard from West Virginia USA.

robvanderveer
02-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Thank you cyberflexx. I printed the card and put it up on my wall with the others!

MYTait
02-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Hope you are doing better now, Rob.
BTTF the Ride greetings from USH are on their way. :-)

Mei & Tom Tait

robvanderveer
03-15-2014, 07:59 AM
I wanted to let you all know that last week i received results from a final MRI scan. No scary stuff good riddens. Anyway it's yet another birthday in recovery mode, but this time i found the strength to make a special birthday cake, DeLorean style:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/15/ybuvyzar.jpg

Ps. Those bttf memorabilia are awesome! Thanks

Rob

Dangermouse
03-15-2014, 09:15 AM
The answer is always 42.

Congrats Rob on the good news

ALEXAKOS
03-15-2014, 02:18 PM
HELL YEAH ROB!!!!
So happy about your good news and happy birthday!
I wish you never hear of any bad news again buddy!

Domi
03-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Happy Birthday ;)

robvanderveer
03-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Thanks!

Rob

robvanderveer
05-11-2014, 06:28 AM
I think the best way to thank each and everyone of you, is to show that i'm getting back to working on the car. Without further words, here are some images of what I was able to do in the past months.

Domi
05-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Good work ;)