PDA

View Full Version : xm satellite radio questions.....

GS450-Junkie
07-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I really thought I could find an XM radio setup that I could use in multiple vehicles. In my perosnal daily driver, the DeLorean, and my work truck. I thought it would be pretty easy just to find an xm radio that plugs into the cigarette lighter and all I'd have to do is plug in the AUX cable, or in my DD's case....use the FM transmitter since there is no AUX input (yeah it's a 2004). But....the guy at BestBuy seems to indicate otherwise. He said an XM radio requires a magnetic antenna mounted on the outside of each vehicle, so I would either have to pull that and install it when I switch vehicles (which would be daily), or.... buy 3 seperate antennas and leave them on each of the vehicles. He also said my daily driver wouldn't be ideal because the FM transmitter really doesn't work the best so an AUX input would be ideal.

Anyone on here have satellite radio and can chime in with some info, knowledge or ideas ? I really have no interest in a new radio with XM capabilities...I still like the idea of taking it from vehicle to vehicle, etc. I just didn't want to buy 3 antennas, and 3 docking stations, etc.

Thanks !

kajcienski
07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I really thought I could find an XM radio setup that I could use in multiple vehicles. In my perosnal daily driver, the DeLorean, and my work truck. I thought it would be pretty easy just to find an xm radio that plugs into the cigarette lighter and all I'd have to do is plug in the AUX cable, or in my DD's case....use the FM transmitter since there is no AUX input (yeah it's a 2004). But....the guy at BestBuy seems to indicate otherwise. He said an XM radio requires a magnetic antenna mounted on the outside of each vehicle, so I would either have to pull that and install it when I switch vehicles (which would be daily), or.... buy 3 seperate antennas and leave them on each of the vehicles. He also said my daily driver wouldn't be ideal because the FM transmitter really doesn't work the best so an AUX input would be ideal.

Anyone on here have satellite radio and can chime in with some info, knowledge or ideas ? I really have no interest in a new radio with XM capabilities...I still like the idea of taking it from vehicle to vehicle, etc. I just didn't want to buy 3 antennas, and 3 docking stations, etc.

Thanks !

Hi! Although this setup (link below) cannot be taken from car to car, I wanted to share what I have in my D to show how you can completely integrate XM if you have an older CD/Radio unit (before XM was more standard) and don't want to switch that out or spend a lot of money. The unit happened to fit perfectly into the ash tray by chance (hot glued to an added plastic frame to be able to just drop it in the existing hole - I can give more detail if anyone goes this route). Looks really sweet in my opinion and I get a lot of positive feedback from owners about it (now to replace the back speakers - ugh!). I was never a fan of the ash tray so this really fit the bill. For the XM antenna, the wire was simply run up the console and up through the hood release. The antenna is mounted at the bottom middle of the windshield out of view. The unit is powered by a splice into the cigarette wiring I believe. This was installed by the previous owner and this model is still available online for about $100 last time I checked. Quick plug: Bought my D from Dave at DMCMW. I flew out to look at this specific car - He picked me up at the airport and was a VERY gracious host for the day at the shop! He and Julee are truly amazing people and helped tremendously making sure things were in order and a great purchase was had through the consigner.

I had a video and spliced it quickly to show the unit:
http://www.kajcienski.com/XM-Radio.mov

GS450-Junkie
07-16-2011, 04:09 PM
so it is connected to the stereo, or does it use an FM transmitter ?

kajcienski
07-16-2011, 04:19 PM
so it is connected to the stereo, or does it use an FM transmitter ?

Uses FM transmitter. It also has an input I believe and could possibly be used with an iPod - but don't quote me on that. Is on my list to check into.

GS450-Junkie
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
how does your fm transmitter seem to work ? Are you happy with it ? Does it cut in and out a lot, or is it pretty good ? ETC

ydjk58
07-16-2011, 05:49 PM
Get the xmp3i radio. I'm not sure yet if you will need to mount an antenna for it with the car kit or not (haven't tested that yet since I am still awaiting my D back) but it is a full portable XM radio that you can wear like an ipod, and even record to it.

kajcienski
07-16-2011, 05:58 PM
how does your fm transmitter seem to work ? Are you happy with it ? Does it cut in and out a lot, or is it pretty good ? ETC

I have not used it all that much, but works great when I have - no issues. This sounds silly, but I kinda like it more for the looks of it and conversation. I have had people ask what it is and if it came originally with the car ;) If you truly want portable, this is obviously not what you want. But is a fun addition and better than the cigarette tray. I am sure there are some very small/handy units that would work for what you want.

Notifier
07-16-2011, 08:54 PM
I have Sirius, basically the same principal as XM. But from my personal experience, the FM transmitters aren’t worth the money. If you live in a highly populated area, you will be fighting to find a “clean” frequency to tune it to. Let’s say you use 88.3mhz because nobody transmits on that frequency. 88.1 and 88.5 cannot have ANY signal on them or you will receive static when listening to XM. If you’re lucky to find a frequency that doesn’t have any signal on it (and nothing adjacent), you can bet everyone else uses it to transmit. Plus to work “good”, they need to be really close to the vehicle antenna. If your antenna is in the rear and the transmitter is up front, forget about it! Your best bet (if no aux input is available) is to get a FM Direct Adapter which connects to the FM Out on your satellite radio then connects in-line with your car antenna wire. You still tune to a frequency (like 88.3) but then it disconnects all outside interference. Your other option is a Universal Audio Input Adapter (I’ve had good luck with a Scosche FM-MOD02). Connects and works the same way, but gives you a true Aux input you can also use with a MP3 player.

As far as the Satellite Antenna, don’t believe everything the guy at Best Buy tells you! In my Saab, I have the antenna inside the vehicle, tucked under the rear dash carpet, and it works fine. In fact, it works parked in my Garage with the door closed! For my wife’s Firebird, I have the satellite antenna sitting on the cardboard/wood cover that covers up the truck, looking out the back window. It’s not anywhere near a metal surface. My work truck I hot glued it to the dash. Obviously the BEST place to mount it is outside the vehicle on a metallic surface, but will work just fine inside the vehicle. You may find going through a thick forest you lose signal. But your best bet is to buy one for each vehicle and just leave them there. Antennas are cheap, so are basic mounts and power cords. The companies have finally made things rather universal between their different receivers so the power cord that works one works the others. It will cost you around $50 to outfit every vehicle (other than the first one because the radio will come with the parts) but well worth not having to move antennas, power cords, etc. all the time. I also installed a separate cigarette lighter plug switched to the ignition on all my units – this way they turn off with the vehicle off.

A good source for installation parts (and radios) is a company called TSS-Radio. Quick google search will find them. Have no affiliation, just used them to get parts for the installation of my radios, plus they have parts for old radios. Always had good luck with them.

GS450-Junkie
07-16-2011, 10:45 PM
Yeah...I was kind of wondering if I could get away with just leaving the antenna coiled up and placing it on the dash connected to the unit in each vehicle that I'm in. The website says absolutely not, but I'm sure it would work. Sure would be a hell of a lot easier then running it through to the outside. Then moving it from vehicle to vehicle would be easy peasy.

Notifier
07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah...I was kind of wondering if I could get away with just leaving the antenna coiled up and placing it on the dash connected to the unit in each vehicle that I'm in. The website says absolutely not, but I'm sure it would work. Sure would be a hell of a lot easier then running it through to the outside. Then moving it from vehicle to vehicle would be easy peasy.

Let's put it this way, your not going to hurt anything - you won't burn up the receiver or anything. I think the idea behind mounting it to a metal surface is that it acts as a way to help collect the signal. Either you are going to get a signal or not.

Rhsxo
07-17-2011, 12:42 PM
As a frequent user of Sirius XM Radio I do have a way that you can take it between cars without any issues. If you have the stock Craig Radio, then you could use a cassette adapter, plug that into your iPhone and stream Sirius XM over there app.

This way, all you would be using is your data and wouldn't have to install any antennas. I've never had any trouble with doing it this way and think it's a better alternative than what the guy from Best Buy recommended.

stevedmc
07-17-2011, 03:07 PM
As a frequent user of Sirius XM Radio I do have a way that you can take it between cars without any issues. If you have the stock Craig Radio, then you could use a cassette adapter, plug that into your iPhone and stream Sirius XM over there app.

This way, all you would be using is your data and wouldn't have to install any antennas. I've never had any trouble with doing it this way and think it's a better alternative than what the guy from Best Buy recommended.

Wouldn't the sound quality suck running through a 30 year old tape deck?

Rhsxo
07-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Wouldn't the sound quality suck running through a 30 year old tape deck?

It depends on what you listen to. In the morning I only listen to Howard Stern and the audio quality is really good. When your listening to music it's not that bad. Not CD quality, but pretty dam good.

My only suggestion is to buy a good cassette adapter. I got a really nice one on eBay for under $10 so overall, it's a fairly cheap solution.