PDA

View Full Version : TPS on factory throttle spool, design and fabrication

AdmiralSenn
10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Hey guys. I am going to be working out a TPS solution for the factory throttle spool soon since I need one for my car. Don't get too excited, right now it's a pile of miscellaneous automotive parts and an idea, but once I get my cylinder heads back on I will start designing and exploring.

It will require disassembling the original spool and what should be a single, easy weld. Advantages include a SUPER common TPS with a standard Bosch D type shaft drive, readily available from parts houses, junkyards, and ebay (I've spotted new Bosch ones for as low as $16). It is also a three-wire unit that is known to work with MS.

Assuming (big assumption!) that it works and there's interest I am going to approach a local fabricator I trust to see if I can have what we need made in a limited quantity so that there's no welding involved, just parts swapping.

This space reserved for actual content. Figure at least two to three weeks before I update, but I'd like to gauge interest and see if I'm the only nut who thinks this would be useful.

jangell
10-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Assuming I can fix the hole in my motor and it's a simple weld (re: I use this as an excuse to learn to weld), I'm interested in this as well. While I was going to start off with MAP, I had been thinking of using a TPS for my EFI conversion, although I was probably going to try to mount it on the peddle and see how that worked.

-- Joe

DARCOM
10-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Here's a few shots of the one i made. Its not perfect but its been working flawless for over five years now. Its just a curved peace of aluminum that hold the TPS. Then the arm just fits into a small slot i cut into the throttle spring. Maybe this can help give you some ideas.

AdmiralSenn
10-31-2013, 11:17 AM
My current setup actually is almost identical to yours, the difference being that I dropped mine lower and suspended it from a bracket over the sensor.

The mechanical bits work okay, but I've burned through FOUR TPS units, and that's with me almost never driving due to repeated downtime and failures.

This should be a little more reliable and cost less to get a good quality unit. Bracket will be really similar to yours, though, unless I can simplify it more.