PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Spring Clips (Inner Door Seals)

DrJeff
11-05-2013, 12:00 AM
I wanted to find a better solution to the edge clips (see #22 here (http://store.delorean.com/c-308-8-4-0-doorsstrutsseals.aspx)). My clips were all rusted, broken, and leaving tear marks into the vinyl. I also wanted something in stainless steel so that I could use it all around the door edge, including at the headliner (never too happy with the edge trim holding the headliner in place).

I found these clips, called SupaClips (http://www.amazon.com/Rapesco-Supaclip-Dispenser-Clips-Stainless/dp/B000J65E4M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383627409&sr=8-3&keywords=supaclip) by Rapesco, and they come in stainless steel. They are exactly the right edge width (size 60 (http://www.amazon.com/RAPESCO-SUPACLIP-CLIPS-STEEL-PK100/dp/B000J6BOW8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1383627409&sr=8-9&keywords=supaclip)) for securing vinyl and headliner to the door frame edge. About the only downside is that they are a little deeper that the standard door edge trim. Dispenser was $8 and a box of 100 clips was $16 (vs $1 per clip for the stock piece).

This is a picture of the dispenser (which fits over the vinyl/headliner/door edge trim and puts the clip in place.

This photo shows the supaclip right beside one of the original edge clips.

In this photo you can just see the edge of the supaclip protruding from under the door edge seal.

I have a couple of tasks before I'm ready to redo the inner and outer door trims, but I think I'm going to be very happy with my new edge clips.

Ryan S.
11-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Excellent review. I think I will try it. Thanks

ALEXAKOS
11-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Looks like a great replacement.
Only worries me if it will hold in time as those are manufactured to hold paper together.
The DMC clips have pointy edges (like teeth) that grasp he vinyl. I remember how hard it was to remove them... Torn some vinyl bits as well. They really bite hem selves into the position.

DrJeff
11-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Looks like a great replacement.
Only worries me if it will hold in time as those are manufactured to hold paper together.
The DMC clips have pointy edges (like teeth) that grasp he vinyl. I remember how hard it was to remove them... Torn some vinyl bits as well. They really bite hem selves into the position.

The clips grip very tightly, with the width of the vinyl and door edge they are at the limit of how far they can open. This means they are applying maximum force on the edge components. Another advantage (to the grip) is that the vinyl and headliner have a bit of give.

DrJeff
12-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Update... I've been experimenting with door edge trim for the inner seals. I used the outer door seal from the crossover parts list successfully (McMaster-Carr) however the inner door seals from the same list were a fail. The EPDM bulb on top of the trim edge is too wide and tends to bind as the door is closed, either on the door metal or on the headliner (especially for doors like mine that are not well centered). My original inner door seal was flattened in most places and torn at the binding sites.

My latest trial is to put plain edging on the inner edge (Trimlok 5/16 edge, 21/32 deep) and the put the EPDM bulb on the door itself. Once the edge is on the opening (over fiberglass, headliner, vinyl, and springclips ...) then you can close the door and measure the gap between the edging and door metal all the way around. Then select EPDM edge bulb that will perfectly close the gap. Some 3M 8008 will be needed to marry up EPDM bulbs of different sizes if the gap varies (which may be likely).

The idea is to get the door closing nicely and positioned well and then edge the door such that the trim just closes the air gap but doesn't impinge on the door adjustments.

When I get this trial done I'll post some photos.

DrJeff
12-11-2013, 12:17 AM
I made a video this evening of my latest progress with alternative inner door seals. In this video I look at the stock trim, the crossover list trim, and some alternatives that I've tried.

link to YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJM5v66Wpew&feature=youtu.be)

The latest design is to split the inner door seal into two parts 1) the edge trim and 2) the weather seal. The edge trim is attached to the door opening whereas the weather seal is now attached to the door itself.

The purpose of experimenting with alternative door inner seals was to solve door closing and adjustment problems caused by the stock inner door seal and doors that may never have been perfect. When I got the car the doors were catching on the inner door trim and took lots of force to close. The original seals had become mis-shapened in places and were impeding the door movement. This latest design trial cleans up the look of the trim edge, acts as an improved trim edge, and moves the weather seal bulb to the door where its impact on the door opening/closing is minimized.

I'm not 100% done yet (still experimenting with the weather seal sizes) but the doors are already 100% better than before.

djdogbone
12-11-2013, 09:53 AM
Very informative! When you get the right combination, pleAse post a final parts list. That clean edge is a really nice alternative.

-djd

Rich_NYS
02-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Are the clips still working well?

DrJeff
02-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Are the clips still working well?

They have been working really well. But... they need to be complemented with the replacement edge trim (no bulb) that I described in another post (I can't remember the details on the top of my head). I'm in the process of transferring the bulb to the door (seal mechanism is now split between the opening edge seal and the bulb on the door). I started out with auto shop door seal on the door - but it was a fail. I've since got a new EPDM self-adhesive bulb from McMaster and it is working much better. The bulb is critical so that it 'crushes' when the door is closed and creates the air seal.

What I like about the mod I've done...
- the seal doesn't become trapped and eventually tear like the stock method (top left/right corners of the windscreen)
- the seal doesn't look so crowded (along the edges of the windscreen)
- the door opening edge looks very clean (with the resized edging)
- stainless steel clip on the inner door seal instead of metal (rusty) clips only along the bottom edge
- The doors close much more easily (the edge trim doesn't rub parts of the door before it gets to near 100% closed)

Of course I've got to write this all up properly, but I did post a video with a bunch of the details.

TTait
03-19-2014, 02:53 PM
So tell us more! Any updates?

DrJeff
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM
No update right now. I've been waiting to take the car out of the garage to test the air seal achieved. The car is undergoing a major refit - EFI, A/C, cooling everything, suspension, steering, brakes, painted surfaces, electrical, sound barrier... All fun apart from not being able to drive the car.

mburshtain
05-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Hey guys,
I have a question regarding the inner door seal replacement.
Today I replaced the inner door seal which I believe it was the original seal of the car...there was no glue used so taking it off was very easy.
After I installed the new seal I noticed the car door needs a big push to shutdown...
Is it expected as the seal are new or should I perform any other inspections to look for pressure areas? 2708927090