PDA

View Full Version : Tomcio LED Door Lights

NightFlyer
11-05-2013, 05:33 AM
For those you unfamiliar with the product, Tom N. (aka Tomcio), the same man who brought us the convex extended view side mirrors, has recently designed, fabricated, assembled, and is currently selling a set of custom fit LED lights for our doors. Each light, 2 x Red and 4 x Amber, contain 4 high quality 5050 SMD LEDs each and are fully regulated and sealed to protect them against power fluctuation/corrosion/moisture/etc. Tom's lights are of the HIGHEST QUALITY, period, right down to the packaging! While I've been wanting to put LEDs in the doors for quite some time, I was never satisfied with the market offerings until I saw Tom's lights. They are simple plug and play and require no modifications. This is a truly EXCELLENT product that every owner should be wanting to add to their car. I know I'm very happy with this product, would definitely buy it again (if only I had multiple DeLoreans), and strongly recommend this product to other owners.

And now, the pics from my install...

Michael Babb
11-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I have been remiss in waiting for so long to add my official review as well. I ordered a set of these LED's as well and think that they are absolutely wonderful. So much better than the off-the-shelf LED's that I had in there. I love that the lights are more spread out, and with the lenses that Tom provided make that more uniform . . though I do like the look with the OEM lenses as well.

I have purchased LEDs, side mirrors, an chromed shifter knob and relay modules from Tom in the past. All have been of absolutely the highest quality (at the time, the DMC-Texas mirrors appeared to be hand shaped with a grinder while Tom's were perfectly and professionally manufactured . . .and had a heater). I loved the mirrors so much I purchased them again when I got my new DeLorean last year.

He is a perfectionist and a stickler for details - both of which I greatly appreciate. I would highly recommend any of his products, and cannot wait to see what he comes up with next!

NightFlyer
11-06-2013, 04:57 PM
In regards the 'criticisms' (mostly concerning their price) leveled against Tomcio's LED door lights:

1) I absolutely HATE crap made in China. Only if an alternative doesn't exist will I actually purchase a good made there, as doing so supports exploited labor, horrid to non-existent environmental standards, and a wholly unfair competitor that mocks free market principles while participating in the system. Not to mention that Chinese crap is usually cheap for a reason - it sucks and is of an inferior quality. Personally, I'd rather spend more, obtain less, procure quality products that actually stand for something, and maintain my principle. If there weren't people like me out there, we'd have virtually no manufacturing left in our own country today.

Tomcio's LEDS are made and assembled in Poland, using primarily Polish sourced components.

2) Yes, they're expensive, but no more so than the CREE sourced LEDs (made primarily in Racine, WI, USA) that I previously purchased for the tail-light assembly (turn signal, brake lights, running lights, and backup lights). For reference purposes, DeLorean03 previously posted a video comparing my CREE LEDs to a cheap Chinese alternative. People can decide for themselves.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?73...l=1#post111816

3) Because the SMD's of Tomcio's LEDs are spaced out in the shape of the lens, and the high quality of the 5050 chips used, they accomplish a light fill equivalent to that of higher element hemispherical (diode) or tower style Chinese LEDs - which of course equates to super low power consumption. Typical 9 SMD element Chinese LED has a power draw of 1.5 Watts or greater. A 12 SMD element will draw 2 Watts or greater. Tomcio's LED draw just .675 Watts each.

Total power consumption of 9 element Chinese LEDs / 12 element Chinese LEDs VS Tomcio's LEDs:

9 Watts / 12 Watts VS 4.05 Watts

Chinese LEDs are also often not power regulated, and thus suffer a short life span - one could conceivable end up spending the same amount or more over a life-time of having to replace inferior Chinese LEDs vs just purchasing a Tomcio set today.

4) Tomcio's LEDs are a limited run custom made-to-application product. Comparing them to a generic universal LED is like comparing apples to oranges IMHO...

5) Tomcio is known for investing his own money in bringing unique ultra high quality products to the very small/limited DeLorean market - just like Bill R and Dave M. Supporting him today allows him to continue to develop even more great products for our cars in the future.

6) As others have pointed out in the development thread, Tomcio also sells an optional laser cut frosted lens kit that compliments the LED set. They can be used either with or without the stock lenses to provide a uniform lens light dispersal. Others have also had success using the plastic from generic milk/water jugs to accomplish a similar effect (something I plan on trying in the future). You can also paint the interior of the housing silver or line it with aluminum foil to direct even more light out the lenses (again, something I plan on trying in the future).

So, there's my two cents worth...

Bill6298
11-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't have Tom's LEDs but I did buy his DeLorean before he left Florida for Poland over 10 years ago. It was a very easy transaction and he accurately depicted the condition of his car in a very detailed way. He's a stand up guy.

djdogbone
11-06-2013, 11:59 PM
How do we go about purchasing them?

NightFlyer
11-07-2013, 12:39 AM
How do we go about purchasing them?

You can order direct through Tom's website: http://www.deloreana.com/

outatym2001
04-09-2014, 02:58 AM
I too am a proud owner of Tom’s LED Door Lights Kit. I also purchased the Custom Lens Kit 2 – double lens installation which is frosted plastic that diffuses the bright LEDs and the frosted plastic is hidden behind your original amber or red lenses. I am patiently waiting for his other LED kits to be manufactured. By then I will have the money saved up to buy them.

Riley88
11-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I just bought a delorean, actually through the forums here thanks to ssaleen! ANyway i really want to do the led conversion, Toms website deloreana.com seems to be out of stock, does anyone know anywhere else i can get these led's? Or some of similiar quality i don't want to buy some chinese garbage.

DMC-81
11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Congratulations on your purchase! As for the LED's, just search LED on this forum. Here are a couple of examples:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?8885-1157-LED-bulbs-(front-amber-blinkers)-issue/page3

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?7302-LED-Tailight-kit/page2

I have switched the door and dome lights so far on my car, and I got the kit at DMC. http://store.delorean.com/p-10222-led-light-kit-doors-and-domelights.aspx

Have fun with the car!

Riley88
11-09-2014, 07:20 PM
This is what i am looking for, Thank you so much!