PDA

View Full Version : Engine Special T hose slips right off Solenoid Valve?

virtualchuck
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM
I recently installed a Special T vacuum kit. Just wondering if anyone else had an issue with the hose from the Thermal Control Valve to the Solenoid Valve (10?) It seems to slip right off the Solenoid Valve. I was going to clamp it, but now I am second guessing my installation? I have triple checked that it comes from the left (bottom) spigot on the Thermal Control Valve.

Chuck

Josh
11-12-2013, 12:47 PM
This is a common problem from what I have heard. You will have to use hose clamps or buy some proper hoses.

virtualchuck
11-12-2013, 01:38 PM
This is a common problem from what I have heard. You will have to use hose clamps or buy some proper hoses.

I thought I did buy "proper hoses" lol I've learned so much thanks to this forum!

Chuck

Josh
11-12-2013, 01:44 PM
That was me politely commenting on Special T's part quality, lol.

jmettee
11-12-2013, 02:18 PM
I bought my set of blue silicone hoses about 3-4 years ago & mine has always fit fine without a clamp. Perhaps this is a different lot of hoses or the solenoid control valves are perhaps different.

DMCMW Dave
11-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Solenoid valves are all the same. They have an especially small fitting, so the correct hose will fit the solenoid OK but will be a VERY tight fit on the other end.

virtualchuck
11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Solenoid valves are all the same. They have an especially small fitting, so the correct hose will fit the solenoid OK but will be a VERY tight fit on the other end.

It is sort of the other way around here, okay fit on the other end, but slips right off the Solenoid (The output hose to the spark advance is fine)...Maybe he sent the wrong hose? I should have swapped it with a replacement before I put everything back together. I guess I'll clamp it (Or make an insert?) and swap it out next time I'm in the VOD...Hopefully A LONG TIME from now!

Thanks again guys!

Chuck

jawn101
11-12-2013, 04:45 PM
I got the silicone kit from Hervey way back too and everything fits amazingly well. Hose is hose, he doesn't "make" it... but if he sent you the wrong ID for one application, that's definitely on him....

Edit: Are you sure you put every hose where it belongs? As I recall, some of his hoses had diameter reducing spacers installed in them, and there were a variety of ID/OD combos for each connection. Is it possible you crammed the wrong hose on a fitting somewhere (it would have seemed a little too tight,) and now you have the larger hose left over which isn't staying put?

virtualchuck
11-13-2013, 09:34 AM
I got the silicone kit from Hervey way back too and everything fits amazingly well. Hose is hose, he doesn't "make" it... but if he sent you the wrong ID for one application, that's definitely on him....

Edit: Are you sure you put every hose where it belongs? As I recall, some of his hoses had diameter reducing spacers installed in them, and there were a variety of ID/OD combos for each connection. Is it possible you crammed the wrong hose on a fitting somewhere (it would have seemed a little too tight,) and now you have the larger hose left over which isn't staying put?

I actually had one that didn't have a number and others with numbers coming loose or barely attached. It's quite possible something got mixed up along the way. I suppose I should revisit that using some of the photos that others have posted.

Chuck

TTait
11-13-2013, 02:12 PM
I have been running hervey blue silicon hoses for many years. IIRC one of the hoses had a small insert in it that sized the ID down just a bit. Wouldn't swear to it, but it sounds like an easy thing to forget to install. Anyone else have this?

I suppose you could try wrapping the male fitting with a little teflon tape before installing it? If it works for 5 minutes it should work for many years.

jawn101
11-13-2013, 09:03 PM
I have been running hervey blue silicon hoses for many years. IIRC one of the hoses had a small insert in it that sized the ID down just a bit. Wouldn't swear to it, but it sounds like an easy thing to forget to install. Anyone else have this?

I suppose you could try wrapping the male fitting with a little teflon tape before installing it? If it works for 5 minutes it should work for many years.

Yes, I had that same insert. That's why I suggested double-checking that all the hoses are in the right spots :)