PDA

View Full Version : A/C cycling

FLYBOY
11-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Simple question here does the A/C cycling on and off (every 5 mins or so) just mean
It's low on R-12 and I have a small leak or something bigger.
Same thing happened three years ago
So I'm wondering ???

Ron
11-15-2013, 11:08 AM
If you mean it is off for 5 minutes then cuts on and then off within a few seconds, it is probably charged wrong (5 min seems like a long time tho...). Otherwise, it all depends on the ambient temperature and engine coolant/efficiency, etc., as it will vary greatly.

You can use the chart at N:09:01, or, especially in the case of a 3 year leak, simply reclaim it and recharge, to get it right.

Throw a gauge set on it!

cdrusn
02-04-2014, 07:54 PM
If it's staying on (clutch engaged) for 5 minutes and then disengaging and then engaging, it sounds normal. When it gets low enough to constantly engage/disengage every minute or so then you will need to change over to R134 by buying the larger low pressure nozzle, place over the R12 nozzle and put in some R134. I do this once a year in the summer and my a/c works fine. :bash:

Rich
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Simple question here does the A/C cycling on and off (every 5 mins or so) just mean
It's low on R-12 and I have a small leak or something bigger.. Same thing happened three years ago ....

One reason it might cycle like that is it's so cold where you are at this time of year that the freeze-protect function is engaging.

Was the car real cold when you noticed this?

Was it also cold there 3 years ago when it acted like this?

FLYBOY
02-07-2014, 09:49 PM
If it's staying on (clutch engaged) for 5 minutes and then disengaging and then engaging, it sounds normal. When it gets low enough to constantly engage/disengage every minute or so then you will need to change over to R134 by buying the larger low pressure nozzle, place over the R12 nozzle and put in some R134. I do this once a year in the summer and my a/c works fine. :bash:

I would never change over to R134a I did that once and it SUCKED never again
Always running R-12 I'll pay the $$$ R134a is worthless in my car
R-12 gets down to 28 F

FLYBOY
02-07-2014, 09:54 PM
One reason it might cycle like that is it's so cold where you are at this time of year that the freeze-protect function is engaging.

Was the car real cold when you noticed this?

Was it also cold there 3 years ago when it acted like this?

Yeah it was cold out in Asheville although last time it was warm
When I lived in So. Florida but that time it was a leak.
So I guess I'll will wait till it warms up in the spring to see.
Thanks all of those are good advice.
Is definitely cycles constantly when on last time but I'll see?