PDA

View Full Version : Auxillary Power Outlet Wiring

Ralph
07-17-2011, 04:38 PM
I'd like to install two axillary power outlets for accessories. I want them to only have power when the car is running. (Not like the Cigarette lighter.) How should I connect the wiring? Should I just splice it from the power lines for the radio (seems easiest) or do something else? Thanks.

Ralph
07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Nothing? Splicing into the radio power cable it is.

Ryan King
07-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Nothing? Splicing into the radio power cable it is.

Im not sure, but I think the Glove box light is always live. I could be wrong though

sdg3205
07-22-2011, 10:01 PM
There should be another thread about this kicking around from when I did my AUX install if you're interested.

I ended up grabbing power right from the cigar lighter and routing it through a dummy switch. You can install a nice OEM looking switch right next to the window switch, that way you can turn on power to your devices without needing keys.

Epic Win.

TTait
07-23-2011, 04:09 AM
There should be another thread about this kicking around from when I did my AUX install if you're interested.

I ended up grabbing power right from the cigar lighter and routing it through a dummy switch. You can install a nice OEM looking switch right next to the window switch, that way you can turn on power to your devices without needing keys.

Epic Win.

Do we know how many amps those aux switches are rated for?

Bitsyncmaster
07-23-2011, 09:05 AM
I wired mine to the radio power since I wanted it to turn off with the key. I just use it for my GPS anyway so not much current is required.

sdg3205
07-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Do we know how many amps those aux switches are rated for?

No clue. I just power an FM transmitter for my iPod. I can run a test with my voltmeter across it. I'll get the iPod and GPS going and see what I get.