PDA

View Full Version : Complete, Full Color Wiring Diagram

DMCH James
11-19-2013, 08:13 PM
Corrected and updated, including fusebox/relay compartment, instrument cluster connections, engine harness connector pinouts and an updated and corrected legend - all in a full color, giant 24" x 36" poster-sized printed piece. Shipped rolled in a protective cardboard box.

http://store.delorean.com/p-9202-wiring-diagram-lg.aspx

http://www.delorean.net/wiringdiagram_dmctalk.jpg

http://store.delorean.com/p-9202-wiring-diagram-lg.aspx

Ozzie
11-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Fantastic. A great amount of detail all consolidated on one sheet.
:thumbup:

What paper stock is this printed on, like a sheet of loose leaf paper thick, or poster board thick?
..and are these only available through online order, or do/will the local franchises sell these?

DeLorean03
11-19-2013, 10:51 PM
That's a pretty good deal!

Josh
11-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Even the bulkhead connectors! Wow, this is very comprehensive.

NSC_DMC
11-19-2013, 11:55 PM
Love it. Great work!

DMCH James
11-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Fantastic. A great amount of detail all consolidated on one sheet.
:thumbup:

What paper stock is this printed on, like a sheet of loose leaf paper thick, or poster board thick?
..and are these only available through online order, or do/will the local franchises sell these?

In printer jargon, it's called 100lb gloss book. Regular copy paper is generally 20lb or 24lb. A good approximation that would serve as a reference is to say about the same thickness as a higher quality magazine cover - like we used on "deloreans" magazine, for example.

One of the features, for me, is the 24"x36" size. This is a standard poster frame size that can be purchased locally at any Wal-Mart, Target or similar store for typically less than $20.

James

Delorean Industries
11-20-2013, 09:36 AM
In printer jargon, it's called 100lb gloss book. Regular copy paper is generally 20lb or 24lb. A good approximation that would serve as a reference is to say about the same thickness as a higher quality magazine cover - like we used on "deloreans" magazine, for example.

One of the features, for me, is the 24"x36" size. This is a standard poster frame size that can be purchased locally at any Wal-Mart, Target or similar store for typically less than $20.

James

Looks great James.

DMCMW Dave
11-20-2013, 10:01 AM
We've had a few versions of proofread copies here for the past few months, and everyone I've ever showed it to was ready to buy one on the spot.

BTW - it's amazing how many mistakes / ( and running changes to the car) there were on the original diagram.

Jonathan
11-20-2013, 11:45 AM
That looks really nice.

Is there any intention of releasing a full resolution downloadable version?

I ask because I more often than not do much of my research or troubleshooting or job planning on the computer looking at my screen, rather than out in the garage looking at the paper copies.

I realize it would be challenging to prevent it from getting out there for anyone to download, much like many other technical documents. The Owners Manual for a while had a version that was locked for printing, for example.

I don't know what the solution would be to let someone who may purchase the paper version to also receive a digital copy, yet somehow control who gains access to it. We all know people don't stand by their word anymore, so any honesty policy isn't going to work (not for an entire Internet community, individual exceptions of course may still hold). Software products like MS Office have a key code which you enter to register them, but this seems way too unnecessary for a drawing. Any ideas? Would love to hear your thoughts...

TTait
11-20-2013, 12:44 PM
If you buy one, you can shoot a high res digital photo of it yourself that would probably suit your needs. In this case 15 megapixels would be about 300dpi. That would serve for a lot of digital reference, but you'd still have the high quality printout if something wasn't quite readable. I suspect a 36" by 48" would sell well too - there are a lot of owners who could benefit from slightly larger type.

It doesn't make good business sense to distribute the digital master - a lot of time and effort went into making this and no one wants to leave a sour taste in Houstons mouth for making this for us.

It's clear that James, Dave, et al have a personal passion for what they do - and they want to help owners and the marquee. They all have mortgages to pay too. It's safe to say none of the vendors would ever come to my office and steal anything, we owe them the same respect. The price is more than fair.

Imagine how much you would pay if Delorean One had published this? ("Wiring Diagram? Why would you need that?") Worse yet, imagine how accurate it would be if it was being printed in the suburbs of Dallas, or how long you would have to wait for it to ship out?

Rich W
11-20-2013, 12:50 PM
We've had a few versions of proofread copies here for the past few months, and everyone I've ever showed it to was ready to buy one on the spot.

BTW - it's amazing how many mistakes / ( and running changes to the car) there were on the original diagram.

Thanks Dave.

I know this has been a "pet project" of yours for over a decade, since the first corrections you made to the Zilla wiring diagram, when it came out.

I know Dave has spent countless hours on verifying and correcting the DMC wiring diagram, especially since he "went pro" shortly after DCS 2006.

I know there is a significant effort that Dave Swingle has contributed to this project, so again, thanks Dave and to everyone else who helped.

DMCMW Dave
11-20-2013, 02:22 PM
Believe me, James and Sarah have way more time in this than I do.....

Sent from my phone

Rich W
11-20-2013, 02:35 PM

My reference was to the Technical Content (specific changes/corrections in the wiring diagram), not the final product image.

While I agree the final product image looks good, other attempts have looked good too, but the content has been incorrect.

Nice to have it all in one package this time.

DeLorean03
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Sent from my phone

Oh please. I see you on FB at 2300 nearly nightly. Prolly on DMCTalk answering posts here too :P. Stop being so helpful!

DMCH James
11-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh please. I see you on FB at 2300 nearly nightly. Prolly on DMCTalk answering posts here too :P. Stop being so helpful!

Stephane Hirschi in France contributed the base diagram, which then several people (Dave, Stephen, Dave's Techs, our techs) pored over looking for things to correct/clarify.

Dave Swingle provided the instrument cluster diagram and good insight into how to account for the various differences throughout production.

We also clarified and alphabetized the legend, making it match the captions on the diagrammed components themselves. Sarah and everyone already mentioned proofed it multiple times - the final printed version is Rev 5A3. And the one thing we all agreed on is that no matter how much we look at it, shortly after it gets in someone's hands, they will find a mistake. :eek5:

Jonathan
11-20-2013, 11:30 PM
...It doesn't make good business sense to distribute the digital master - a lot of time and effort went into making this and no one wants to leave a sour taste in Houstons mouth for making this for us.

It's clear that James, Dave, et al have a personal passion for what they do - and they want to help owners and the marquee. They all have mortgages to pay too. It's safe to say none of the vendors would ever come to my office and steal anything, we owe them the same respect. The price is more than fair....

Just to clarify, I definitely agree that James, and Dave, and many others at DMC put a ton of work into this and many other products over a long period of time. I also was not calling into question that many also make their living by selling and servicing these cars and the products that go with them.

I only asked if there was any intent on making this drawing available in a download. I personally like to use digitized versions of such drawings or documents rather than the paper copy. If I could spend $20 on the large paper one and have an option to pay an additional $20 (or some number TBD) for a downloaded copy, I would do that.

I do not know how one would offer this, considering the fear of losing control over its use, or seeing your hardwork on creating the document not translate into some sort of reward, financially or otherwise. There doesn't seem to be an easy or obvious answer, THAT IS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION.

Tillsy
11-21-2013, 02:16 AM
I entirely agree - I bought the (old) printed one and have never used it. I instead use the VECTOR version on my iPad (when in the garage) and MacBook Pro (when inside) to zoom around and analyse.

Scanning the new one in ourselves is not the answer - no matter how high a res it is scanned at it will still be a massive rasterised bucket of crap.

However, offering a PDF of this new one is recipe for mass-distribution.

My suggestion would be an app - an iOS app (which is a Mac app anyway so piss easy to make a Mac AppStore version too) with it embedded in would be an ideal way to sell and control an electronic version. That just leaves the android, Windows Phone, and Windows desktop to deal with...

Please consider it, as I have no use/intention to buy another printed copy I won't use but would be first in line to buy an electronic one.

DMC5180
11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Fantastic piece.

The best part here is the Standardized frame size. Poster frames are are about $20 - $30 at most department stores ( Target, Walmart, K-mart, etc.) This will look good in any Home Office or on your Garage Wall. Looks Like I'll be getting a new office poster soon. :biggrin:

I have a couple different color versions, created over the years, of the Original (uncorrected) Schematic in 11 x 17 format that are Heavy Mil laminated. I keep one in the car at all times under the rear shelf carpet. NO folding necessary that way.

Bitsyncmaster
11-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Fantastic piece.

The best part here is the Standardized frame size. Poster frames are are about $20 - $30 at most department stores ( Target, Walmart, K-mart, etc.) This will look good in any Home Office or on your Garage Wall. Looks Like I'll be getting a new office poster soon. :biggrin:

I have a couple different color versions, created over the years, of the Original (uncorrected) Schematic in 11 x 17 format that are Heavy Mil laminated. I keep one in the car at all times under the rear shelf carpet. NO folding necessary that way.

Never though of keeping the schematic under the rear carpet. Good idea.

I also keep many 11 x 17 schematics, computer, workshop and garage. I like that size because it's easy to handle but I could use the corrected schematic when looking at those corrected areas.

DMC5180
11-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Never though of keeping the schematic under the rear carpet. Good idea.

I also keep many 11 x 17 schematics, computer, workshop and garage. I like that size because it's easy to handle but I could use the corrected schematic when looking at those corrected areas.

I lay it on the center foam pad. fits nicely there without being in the way of the access covers.

Spittybug
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
I won't be buying this.....not because it isn't good, but because it isn't applicable to my car. I can remove about 1/4 of it by having gone with Megasquirt. I've modified my own :bootyshake:

Bitsyncmaster
11-26-2013, 07:41 PM
I won't be buying this.....not because it isn't good, but because it isn't applicable to my car. I can remove about 1/4 of it by having gone with Megasquirt. I've modified my own :bootyshake:

Would be nice to have the file you can edit and then print.:goatee:

DMCH James
11-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Thank goodness for the other 99% of the other DeLorean owners, or this would have been a total waste of time. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm considering laminating one and putting it under the trunk carpet - that way it will always be with the car.

James

DMCMW Dave
11-26-2013, 08:20 PM
I won't be buying this.....not because it isn't good, but because it isn't applicable to my car. I can remove about 1/4 of it by having gone with Megasquirt. :

In my experience 90% of the problems we end up troubleshooting are in the part of the wiring that you didn't remove yet.

DrJeff
11-27-2013, 07:52 AM

I need to take the stock diagram some day and revise it with all the changes I've already made. Other that engine (just not there yet) there are very few runs I haven't modified already.

Spittybug
11-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Thank goodness for the other 99% of the other DeLorean owners, or this would have been a total waste of time. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'm considering laminating one and putting it under the trunk carpet - that way it will always be with the car.

James

Didn't mean to imply it wasn't good or isn't a valuable asset..... just in my case I would have to do a lot of whiting out!