PDA

View Full Version : DMC MW Floor Mats

OverlandMan
12-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Just got these in tonight! They look great. Very durable and seemingly high quality. I really like the way the black looks against my grey interior.

Michael
12-20-2013, 11:35 PM
I have always thought the DMC mats were nice. Mine are 6 years old now and have 20k miles and still look nice. The only thing I do is put a cheap universal rear (small rectangle) mat over the DS mat to protect from the heels of my shoes from digging into them. Yup, a floor mat to protect the floor mat, which protects the floor carpet.

SoCalDMC12
12-21-2013, 03:48 AM
I have always thought the DMC mats were nice. Mine are 6 years old now and have 20k miles and still look nice. The only thing I do is put a cheap universal rear (small rectangle) mat over the DS mat to protect from the heels of my shoes from digging into them. Yup, a floor mat to protect the floor mat, which protects the floor carpet.

I thought I was the only one that did this!

Jonathan
12-21-2013, 08:55 AM
They fit perfect too. I don't use the word perfect on many things when describing DeLoreans, but these mats fit extremely well. A really good product and I'm super happy with them in my car. The light/dark contrast looks good Jeff!

DMC5180
12-21-2013, 11:03 PM
The best part is they don't bunch up under your heels like the OEM jute backed ones did along with several other Aftermarket versions made over the years. These mats are Top notch.

OverlandMan
12-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Hey that's a good idea! I might have to do that. Thanks for the tip.

They fit perfect too. I don't use the word perfect on many things when describing DeLoreans, but these mats fit extremely well. A really good product and I'm super happy with them in my car. The light/dark contrast looks good Jeff!

Thanks Jonathan. I like the contrast too. And they do fit really well. They seem to be very high quality.

The best part is they don't bunch up under your heels like the OEM jute backed ones did along with several other Aftermarket versions made over the years. These mats are Top notch.

I have a set of original grey floor mats. They are in poor shape, thus the reason I bought the new ones.

SoCalDMC12
12-24-2013, 12:31 PM
I have a set of original grey floor mats. They are in poor shape, thus the reason I bought the new ones.

I didn't know that they came in gray from the factory.

DMC5180
12-24-2013, 01:04 PM
I don't believe Grey Floor Mats were an Official Dealer Option. The Aftermarket Vendors of the Early 80's such as Delorean One and others created them as natural option very quickly though. They Have been around for almost as long the car itself. It's Easy to make that mistake.

I'm sure Dave S will chime in if this is not the case.

I would imagine James has Historical documentation supporting how many sets of NOS floor carpets were Ordered by the factory.

DMCMW Dave
12-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Correct - the "factory authorized" mats were black with white lettering dyed in the material only. We still offer them in grey with black lettering, but I'll bet we sell black ones 10:1 over grey.

There are other variants out there from other sources over the years, with different lettering sizes, some oddball shades of grey, etc. One set I thought was nice had dark red lettering. We have done some custom mats from time to time, it is not all that expensive but can take a while. Our mats are made in the USA.

rdarlington
12-24-2013, 02:48 PM
<snip> ....but I'll bet we sell black ones 10:1 over grey. <snip>

Oh, maybe you should drop the price of the grey floor mats to get em to move. This suggestion has NOTHING to do with my plan to buy a set.

-Bob

DMC5180
12-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Oh, maybe you should drop the price of the grey floor mats to get em to move. This suggestion has NOTHING to do with my plan to buy a set.

-Bob

Because they are a low demand item, I'm sure Dave does not have a Large stock pile lying around in need of moving. Nice try though.

Grey on Grey carpeting is bit bland, Thats why I like the contrast of Black floor mats in Grey Interior. I suppose the same could be said for Black on Black. Grey mats would help lighten up things a bit.

Tillsy
12-24-2013, 06:19 PM
I'm not a fan of the DeLorean's grey grey grey grey grey or black black black black black colour schemes either...

As part of a project I've been working on I've made some black additions to my grey interior and sh#t does it make the interior look so damn sweet!

Should finally be posting some pictures within a few days...

JohnZ
12-25-2013, 04:57 AM
I'm with you, I really like the bi-tonal experience! Gray over black or black over gray.... it doesn't matter!

sdg3205
12-25-2013, 09:56 AM
I went pure grey, with the exception of the shift plate, boot and other usual suspects. It went a long way to brighten up the interior. It's a nice!!!! Great success!

SoCalDMC12
12-26-2013, 03:38 AM
I've got gray mats as well. It think they look fine, but my only problem is that they shoe off dirt more than the black ones I originally had.

Rich W
12-26-2013, 10:05 AM

After seeing a safety comment on the "gas pedal stuck" thread, I thought I would include a "ditto" comment here.

A few years ago, I witnessed a low speed parking lot incident with a DeLorean due to "floor mat bunch up" under
the brake pedal, which caused a impact collision with a parking bump stop. This could have been much worse if it
had happened on the street at a stop light or a stop sign. (Expecting full brake pedal travel and not having it)

I recommend using the OEM jute backed mats "just for show" and use the new aftermarket ones while driving.

DMCMW Dave
12-26-2013, 11:32 AM

Why would I order more of something that does not sell well just to put it on sale?

rdarlington
12-26-2013, 11:47 AM
No No Dave. That's not at all what I said or am suggesting.

Once again, meaning is lost on the internet.

refugeefromcalif
12-26-2013, 04:58 PM

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac151/Gonzo1069/maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

DMC5180
12-26-2013, 05:28 PM

Clever placement of one of these might have helped. :rolleyes1: :evilgrin: :tongue::jk: :biggrin:

rdarlington
12-26-2013, 10:00 PM
I still think they screwed the pooch on the original HTML 1.0 spec by not including the sarcasm markup tag. Oh well :-)

Delorean02378
12-27-2013, 08:44 AM
Here's another picture of the DMC floormats. Julee does a great job packing these things.

Domi
12-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Looks really nice :thumbup:

DMCMW Dave
12-27-2013, 07:54 PM
Here are some photos.

Left is the OEM style, Center is a custom larger logo style (aka Sharkey Mats) , and right is the Grey done with black OEM-size lettering. The left and right are normally in stock.

And now for something completely different:

DeLorean03
12-27-2013, 10:27 PM
I have these mats as well. A local owner offered them to me, and I bought them off of him. They are VERY nice. Well worth their money, and I'm actually considering getting another set for when my car comes home just to make the interior "pop" even more!

Iznodmad
12-27-2013, 11:15 PM
I never knew the center custom larger mats were for sale. Or are they? I wish I had picked up a set of the old DOA mats from a few years ago with the custom red "DeLorean" in the correct font on them. They also had a trunk mat and parcel shelf mat. NLA as far as I know.

Michael
12-28-2013, 05:57 AM
The DMCTalk crowd is funny. On the .com site I commented on a thread much like this praising how nice the DMC mats were for the money. I talked about how I had never seen such thick well made mats even in luxury cars.

I got ripped from a lot of the old schoolers(most of whom have either sold their cars or I haven't seen post in awhile) about how overpriced they were and came apart, didn't hold up, blah blah.

Also, the trunk carpet is still available, its just under the normal carpet in the parts listing. AFAIK, the original is NLA, and you order the new carpet which is so stiff that the backer board is not needed.
http://store.delorean.com/p-9951-carpet-luggage-compt.aspx

Now, how much are those pink mats with the dice. Whatever you are asking it's not enough.

sdg3205
12-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Now, how much are those pink mats with the dice. Whatever you are asking it's not enough.

Salmon!

It takes a real man to drive with salmon mats.

DMCMW Dave
12-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Salmon!

I never knew the center custom larger mats were for sale. Or are they? I wish I had picked up a set of the old DOA mats from a few years ago with the custom red "DeLorean" in the correct font on them. They also had a trunk mat and parcel shelf mat. NLA as far as I know.

The large logo black ones are available as a custom order but are sometimes in stock here (they are now). $170. The hot pink ones (the fuzzy dice in the photo was the reference color) were a purely custom order. I don't think I've ever seen salmon fuzzy dice, you probably need to adjust the color on your monitor. Custom color mats are about a $30 upcharge over the normal, but can take a few weeks to get. I'll need a sample.

The trunk mat is the same heavy material as the floor mats, the OEM trunk carpets are long gone. Ken K was reproducing those in the thin material for a while several years ago.

DeLorean03
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
The DMCTalk crowd is funny. On the .com site I commented on a thread much like this praising how nice the DMC mats were for the money. I talked about how I had never seen such thick well made mats even in luxury cars.

I got ripped from a lot of the old schoolers(most of whom have either sold their cars or I haven't seen post in awhile) about how overpriced they were and came apart, didn't hold up, blah blah.

There was a time that the new floor mats were produced, and they were horrible. I think, back in 2005, HillBillyDMC ordered a set of them, and they fell apart very quickly. They were really flimsy, thin, and were more for show than practical use.

Fast-forward to lately, and I got mine from a fellow owner in the Dayton area. I didn't even know they were from DMCMW (Still really don't, but mine are 100% identical looking to the ones pictured in this thread), and I absolutely love them. The "pop" between these mats compared to the grey interior is simply awesome. These are thick mats but not heavy, which was a pleasant surprise, and they clean up quickly (being black and all sure makes them lower maintenance than grey).

DMCMW Dave
12-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I didn't even know they were from DMCMW (Still really don't, but mine are 100% identical looking to the ones pictured in this thread), ).

They could be from any of the DMCH dealers. These are not exclusively DMC-MW mats, although I have not heard of anyone else dealing with getting them customized.

Rich_NYS
12-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Salmon!

A real man doesn't know what color "salmon" is... it sure looks pink to me -lol!

( :jk: , Humor, Funny....etc.)

Patrick C
12-28-2013, 01:31 PM
There was a time that the new floor mats were produced, and they were horrible. I think, back in 2005, HillBillyDMC ordered a set of them, and they fell apart very quickly. They were really flimsy, thin, and were more for show than practical use.

My set from around that time period has a sponge-like back that tore away. Do the new ones have rubber nubs that grip the carpet?

DMCMW Dave
12-28-2013, 02:36 PM
My set from around that time period has a sponge-like back that tore away. Do the new ones have rubber nubs that grip the carpet?

Yes, a relatively stiff solid rubber back with the nubs. No foam.

I've seen others with a sort of canvas back, and the ones you mention with the foam. I don't know the history and sources on those (before my time!) but we see them wadded up under the brake pedal from time to time.