PDA

View Full Version : Who has Max Jax?

jmettee
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.maxjaxusa.com/index.html

On the old site, someone installed on of these about 1-2 years ago. Hopefully whoever it was can speak up here & post on how happy they are with it & also if there are any problems with it.

dvonk
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
it was Spittybug if i recall correctly.

opethmike
07-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Yep, Owen (spittybug) has one.

Canon20DFan
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh that looks soooo cool...now I want one. I wonder if standard garage floors can handle it or if you need a thicker one. I liked the removeable feature - just leave the pitons in place and wheel the lift arms away...

Spittybug
07-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, I've been vacationing in the hot and sticky Northeast for a couple of weeks. Felt like being in Houston!

I do indeed have a MaxJax and love it. The hardest thing was drilling the holes in the floor. You have to use a rotary hammer drill (got mine at Harbor Freight). Key is to drill one hole at a time and mark/drill the next one. If you try to do all at once you'll be lucky to get all holes to line up with floor plate holes since drilling into concrete isn't a precise task..... The ability to move the posts is great. 5 minutes to roll each post onto the hole pattern on the floor and tighten the 5 bolts. Arms go on in 30 seconds, hydraulics are quick connects. It won't lift a car high enough to stand under, but the two predrilled stops (holes into which you insert bars to hold load) are fine for creeper (actually could stand to be a little lower!) and seated stool or crouching level. The limiting factor other than your ceiling height will be the open garage door height. If I had a really high and big garage I would go for a full blown two post lift, but that will need to be the next house. I highly recommend the MaxJax for its ease of use, cost, portability and construction. It is SOLID. I have zero concerns when using it. I've lifted all of my cars, including the mini van to change the rear shocks. I got to know one of the guys at Danmar pretty well, so if you have any other questions, I can get him to contact you. If in Houston, you're welcome to see it. I recommend the videos online that show you it in operation too. Good bang for buck.

Canon20DFan
07-24-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't have any of that heavy equipment to install a jack such as that, nor would I want to purchase it for a one-time use. Who would you contract with to install something like a Max Jax? How do you know if your garage floor concrete is thick enough or the proper PSI?

jmettee
07-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the input, Owen. We're soon starting an addition that will include a 2-car garage with 12' ceilings. I am planning to go full-lift (2-post), but they are so damn wide I am considering the Max Jax since I can remove it as needed & make room. Obviously I would not be impacted by a limited lift height, but am concerned about being not high enough. Pretty sure I'm going full-lift with this (http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/admiral-9000.asp).

So Owen: you're pretty much saying that the MaxJax is good, but if you had the option or built a new garage, you would definitely go full lift, right?

Farrar
07-26-2011, 12:25 PM
I believe MaxJax recommends a minimum concrete thickness of four inches.

Farrar

Spittybug
07-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the input, Owen. We're soon starting an addition that will include a 2-car garage with 12' ceilings. I am planning to go full-lift (2-post), but they are so damn wide I am considering the Max Jax since I can remove it as needed & make room. Obviously I would not be impacted by a limited lift height, but am concerned about being not high enough. Pretty sure I'm going full-lift with this (http://www.dannmar.com/dannmar-products/two-post-lifts/admiral-9000.asp).

So Owen: you're pretty much saying that the MaxJax is good, but if you had the option or built a new garage, you would definitely go full lift, right?

Right. It is a very good lift for the money and for the circumstance, but I would want a higher one if my garage permitted.

I don't have any of that heavy equipment to install a jack such as that, nor would I want to purchase it for a one-time use. Who would you contract with to install something like a Max Jax? How do you know if your garage floor concrete is thick enough or the proper PSI?

The rotary hammer drill isn't heavy equipment: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html

I can't help you with the thickness or PSI issue. If your garage was built in the last 30 years though, I would presume it to be fine. Drill a hole and measure! In my case I had to cross my fingers that I didn't hit one of my tension cables that they use down here. I got lucky. Knowing how hard I had to slam the receivers into the concrete, and with the epoxy I used to flush the surface, I have ZERO concerns with them coming out.

Dangermouse
08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Just saw the MaxJax listed in the Costco Connection (a mag Costco mail out to their members) for $1899 delivered. Presumably plus tax.

How does that compare to what others paid?