PDA

View Full Version : Tech Day

ccurzio
01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Just curious if the local metro Atlanta DeLorean owners have managed to make any plans for a tech day in the coming months. There was talk about trying to get Josh at DPI to come down and help us with our cars. Has anything ever come of that?

I'd really like to get my DPI exhaust installed, and he's the man to do it. (I'm assuming I will manage to have my brakes fixed by the time this happens.)

Soundkillr
01-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I thought about trying to plan something, but decided to head everyone off at the pass, and go ahead and cancel it. :)
I'm in for something if anyone wants to try to get together. Ill sort of echo what you wrote: Anyone have word on what happened with dpi?

DL4567
01-01-2014, 03:34 PM
I'll take the blame for the November-ish event not happening with DPI. Stuff gets so busy at that time of year that even my own enthusiasm dwindled and I figured it would be hard for us to nail something down so quickly that would work for everyone who wants Josh to work on their car, also it seems like Josh wants to plan ahead at least a couple of months. Last time we exchanged email he was interested and agreeable, we just need to decide on a time and give him a specific list of work to be done.
Should we plan this for spring? Or are you guys really itching....

Soundkillr
01-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Oh I'm not knocking you! We all knew this was a maybe thing. That said, I'm good with a spring day if josh can sure enough make it down. Has he expressed interest for the 14 year? The only thing I really have on my list is the fuel pump, which I can knock out in a hour or two, which would leave me available to help others with their projects. I *would be* interested in a regrain if he offers that service, price permitting. So we should enquire about that. I know several who would be interested in this....
I may also be up for a clutch (just because) if he has time/resources.

I'll take the blame for the November-ish event not happening with DPI. Stuff gets so busy at that time of year that even my own enthusiasm dwindled and I figured it would be hard for us to nail something down so quickly that would work for everyone who wants Josh to work on their car, also it seems like Josh wants to plan ahead at least a couple of months. Last time we exchanged email he was interested and agreeable, we just need to decide on a time and give him a specific list of work to be done.
Should we plan this for spring? Or are you guys really itching....

DL4567
01-01-2014, 03:55 PM
No worries, no offense taken at all. :) I think we were all kinda maybe-ish on it, which furthered me putting it off 'til after the busy holiday season. I'm just glad you guys are still interested in having this happen.

Delorean Industries
01-01-2014, 07:38 PM
Interested

RammJaeger
01-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Josh, what kinds of things could you do while you are here in the time that you would have?

ccurzio
01-12-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm obviously interested in getting my exhaust fitted, as well as some poking around my engine to make sure everything looks good.

I honestly don't know if replacing my 2nd gear roll pin is within the scope of a tech day (I SERIOUSLY doubt it), but if it is that's something I need doing as well.

Bikercmbc
01-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Chris, If its a day that I can make it down there, I can help you put your exhaust system on. Ive done a few already. second gear roll pin won't be happening in a day. transmission has to be out of the car and case split open.

ccurzio
01-16-2014, 09:47 AM
second gear roll pin won't be happening in a day. transmission has to be out of the car and case split open.

Yeah, I figured as much.

So guys, maybe we should try and pin down a date. Let's shoot for the middle of May?

Bikercmbc
01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
yeah, that would be good. maybe even beginning of may. we can do an inspection on everyones cars before they drive up to DCS14. that way there will still be time to fix something before the drive up.

Mark C
01-16-2014, 03:01 PM
I'm up for Tech Day with Josh on whatever date is good for everyone, now that the busy holiday season is over.

DL4567
01-16-2014, 10:30 PM
May sounds perfect to me. I just sent Josh an email so we can get this ball rolling again.

Jagreen
02-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I'm in. I may not have any work that needs to be done, but you never know, regardless I'll attend and help where I can.

Bikercmbc
03-04-2014, 04:24 PM
Anything planned further?? Just going to throw this date out there: MAY 31. only cause ill be in ATL that fri night and all weekend. If we cant get Josh to come down I can bring my tools down if i know what jobs need to be worked.

Delorean Industries
03-04-2014, 04:26 PM
If we do it that close to DCS I will need to fly in and out. I can manage that if we hit a firm date with attendance figures and work/parts needed.

Soundkillr
03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Josh would still love to know if full graining services could be offered, price and time needed to do so?
Also I believe we have access to a lift if its a Derek's, so not sure if you could do a clutch, but would like a price on that as well.....

Delorean Industries
03-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Josh would still love to know if full graining services could be offered, price and time needed to do so?
Also I believe we have access to a lift if its a Derek's, so not sure if you could do a clutch, but would like a price on that as well.....

Biggest thing is a lift and the proper equipment handy. I"m will to tackle a good number of things on site if we are properly equipped.

ccurzio
03-05-2014, 09:55 AM
At this point I'm just looking to get my DPI exhaust installed! I'm tired of my car having the stock exhaust AND sounding like chattering teeth. I also have more than enough in the way of power tools to lend to this effort, and I'd be happy to bring whatever I can fit into the DeLorean.

Oh, and someone please remind me to reinstall my door struts.

Bikercmbc
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Biggest thing is a lift and the proper equipment handy. I"m will to tackle a good number of things on site if we are properly equipped.

Dereks lift is dual piston in ground lift if i remember correctly, I have all the tools to do a clutch but just dont know how we would get a transmission stand/lift down there. plus if we would have the time to do it. takes me around 4 to do a clutch going all the way to rear main reseal, Josh B. could probably do it in less time. with amount of people there we might could have 3-4 just hold the transmission up and remove and install that way.

Delorean Industries
03-05-2014, 04:55 PM
My biggest thing is safety. I basically draw the line with safety in mind. If we rent a transmission jack I will be more than willing to R&R one. I definitely need as much details on the car as possible. IE shift cable condition, slave condition, clutch line stainless etc. As long as I have everything with me that can keep us out of trouble I"m good with it.

Grain work would be difficult without equipment which I can't easily transport. But this depends on the severity of it.

Start sending me emails on who wants what completed and I can start working a schedule to keep us out of trouble. I WILL NOT leave anyone out that is scheduled regardless of how many hours I need to work. Any extra time can go to anything else we can get done!

refugeefromcalif
03-05-2014, 06:36 PM
For the moment I don't have any major work needed but, I'd love to meet up with other, (sort of local), owners and learn more on diagnosing problems that I Can Expect to happen down the road.

George

DL4567
03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
The weekends of May 24 and 31 would work well for me. June is open too, but I'm guessing no one wants to get closer to DCS than May 31. If somehow getting a transmission jack is a possibility, please add me to the worthwhile-ness of doing that. I'm looking to get my TABs and shift cable replaced (auto trans).

RammJaeger
03-09-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm in if we can pick a date.

ccurzio
03-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I say we plan for the 24th. That should give everyone plenty of breathing room before DCS.

Delorean Industries
03-12-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm waiting on confirmation on one other prior commitment. Then this can be hammered out.

ccurzio
03-17-2014, 03:59 PM
I'd like to add replacement of my tie rod ends and steering rack boots to the list of Shit My Car Needs(tm).

RammJaeger
03-17-2014, 08:50 PM
If there is time for it I have a drivers side window motor that needs installing. I have the motor, just need to put it in.

ccurzio
03-17-2014, 09:09 PM
If there is time for it I have a drivers side window motor that needs installing. I have the motor, just need to put it in.

I can help with that.

Bikercmbc
03-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Has DPI josh gotten back with a date that will work with him? I can definately make the 31st weekend and possibly could make the 24th if thats when everyone else wants it.

DL4567
03-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Nope. Still waiting....

Bikercmbc
03-20-2014, 01:56 PM
ok, well either weekend should be ok with me, I have a concert to go to on fri may 31st, and if we have the tech session on the 24th there are two other concert I will go to that sat night. guess we just need to decide when we want to have it...

DL4567
03-21-2014, 08:11 PM
If only we knew which of the two dates will have the best weather. That would make it easy to decide. :)

Roman Legion
03-30-2014, 03:39 AM
If I'm back on the east coast by then, you can count me in, just let me know the date.

Roman Legion
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
What date is the tech day? I'm most definitely going to come, I can always use a good reason to take the motorcycle out on a long ride.

DL4567
04-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I didn’t want to have to write something like this, but it looks like there’s no choice….

DPI Josh, are you still interested in being a part of our tech day/weekend?

5 weeks ago in this thread you said you were waiting to confirm the date of another commitment, and we haven’t heard anything from you since. We’re just 5-6 weeks away now from the two proposed dates of May 24 and 31, and no one knows what’s going on. I’ve emailed you a total of 5 times on this subject since last August, and you’ve only responded to my very first email. The last one was 4 days ago, simply asking if you’ve figured out what date you can make it here in May, and you haven’t responded to that either, yet you made many posts here on the forum just last night in other threads.

Have people emailed you the work they want done like you requested? Have you made a schedule of that work and have some idea of how long it’s going to take? Are we looking at doing everything in a single Saturday, or does the event need to be longer? All these things would be nice to know, along with the actual date so people can plan to be here and order the parts they need.

I can appreciate you being busy with your business, but if you indicate you want to come to this and many people are willing to pay you to work on their cars, we need MUCH better communication from you.

Bikercmbc
04-19-2014, 01:44 PM
Well since DPI doesnt even have the time to reply to a thread or emails, he apparently doesnt have time to come to ATL either... well I can try to bring as many of my tools down and work on as many cars that we can. either weekend is ok with me but would rather only drive to atl once so sat may 31st is best for me.

Soundkillr
04-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Agreed, let's just assume he won't be coming down. I'm open both days. Let's set a date and move on....

ccurzio
04-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Ugh. Will anyone else be able to help me install my DPI exhaust?

DL4567
04-19-2014, 02:23 PM
I know there was some concern about the 31st being too close to DCS (1.5 weeks), but given Kyle (bikercmbc) would be a big part of this and he'll be in ATL on the 31st, I'm inclined to pick that date. Either one works for me.

Soundkillr
04-19-2014, 03:02 PM
I can help on exhaust....

refugeefromcalif
04-19-2014, 05:48 PM
If this meet comes together, (with or without DPI), roughly where in Georgia would it take place?
I'd be traveling a FEW miles depending where it's at.

I'd love to meet up with other owners, (help if I can), and learn more about this Weird car that I've acquired.

George

Dangermouse
04-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Derek is in Buford, George, to give you an idea.

Roman Legion
04-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I was hoping it'd be closer in North Carolina again.. :(

Bikercmbc
04-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Either weekend is ok, it would be easier for me to just drive to atl once, but if everyone want the weekend before I will come down.

I have rpl the exhaust systems and only suggestion would be to start soaking the exhaust studs and nuts with pb blaster so it can hopefully not break studs.

Let me know what we are think for repairs and I'll try to bring the necessary tools

Bikercmbc
04-22-2014, 01:54 PM
actually i can only come down the weekend of the 31st. I just got my work schedule and requested the 24th off but did not get it.

DL4567
04-22-2014, 02:24 PM
actually i can only come down the weekend of the 31st. I just got my work schedule and requested the 24th off but did not get it.

No problem. I'm about the post a new thread with the date and details, and have decided on the 31st. In addition to your attendance being a big factor, the 24th is Memorial Day weekend, and that might keep people away if they have family plans and such.