PDA

View Full Version : Engine Injector Condition

Bill6298
01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
I've read in the archive that the exterior condition of the injectors is largely cosmetic and realize I need to spray test to determine the functional state. I'm still a few steps away from that being possible.

I can't seem to find many pictures in the archive so I've uploaded some.

I only pulled the two easiest injectors so far. Does the black on the outside indicate how bad things look on the inside? Is this fairly typical?

Bitsyncmaster
01-02-2014, 08:19 PM
The looks of the outside mean nothing. It's rust or gummed up fuel inside that makes them bad.

David T
01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
The looks of the outside mean nothing. It's rust or gummed up fuel inside that makes them bad.

You can tell from the looks of them it has been a LONG time since they were removed. Typically if they are actually rusty on the outside they are usually very bad and in some cases cannot be cleaned. The seals look to be hard. Difficult to tell from a picture but they (the seals at least) probably need to be replaced. The only way I know of to clean them (inside) is to use a cleaner/tester.

OverlandMan
01-02-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my fuel system. Because I'm slightly OCD, I cleaned the outside of the injectors with a very fine emory cloth. But as others have said, it's the inside of the injector that is important. A flow test will verify the flow. In addition, I've read that the spray pattern is also moderately important for optimal ignition.

I would also echo that replacing the rubber boots (injector seals) is important. Mine were most likely original and were literally baked on to the injector. I had to tear them off the injectors in brittle pieces, whereas the new ones just slid on and fit into the groove with minimal effort.

You can see mine here: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/2013/12/fuel-system-rebuild-phase-1-cont.html

Good luck!

Bill6298
01-02-2014, 09:43 PM

I am worried about the gummed up fuel.

You can tell from the looks of them it has been a LONG time since they were removed. Typically if they are actually rusty on the outside they are usually very bad and in some cases cannot be cleaned. The seals look to be hard. Difficult to tell from a picture but they (the seals at least) probably need to be replaced. The only way I know of to clean them (inside) is to use a cleaner/tester.

I presume they were pulled in 1998 during the last overhaul but not sure. I will look into cleaning them assuming the flow test is not good. I see John does it for $90. Thanks guys.

Bill6298
01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my fuel system. Because I'm slightly OCD, I cleaned the outside of the injectors with a very fine emory cloth. But as others have said, it's the inside of the injector that is important. A flow test will verify the flow. In addition, I've read that the spray pattern is also moderately important for optimal ignition.

I would also echo that replacing the rubber boots (injector seals) is important. Mine were most likely original and were literally baked on to the injector. I had to tear them off the injectors in brittle pieces, whereas the new ones just slid on and fit into the groove with minimal effort.

You can see mine here: http://dmctx.blogspot.com/2013/12/fuel-system-rebuild-phase-1-cont.html

Good luck!

Thanks Jeff. Great blog post. Exactly what I was looking for. Yep, I will leave the inside alone until I do the flow test. I might get lucky.

chris williams
01-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Mine were fine after having been sat for 14 years in a damp UK environment, they looked rubbish on the outside but they worked as new when I fired the car up, perhaps I was just lucky. As it's the last part of the fuel system I did not worry about them to much.
Chris

Bill6298
01-04-2014, 08:09 PM
I finished pulling the injectors and also disconnected the FV because a hose needs to be replaced. I found smelly ~7 year old gasoline and powdery rust in some of the injector bolts and the FV. It doesn't appear I can take apart the FV to clean it internally. I'm worried there's more rust or bad fuel elsewhere that will contaminate everything that has been cleaned.

Is there anything else I can do? Can I flush the FV, WUR, CSV? Anything I can do for the fuel distributor? I've read I do not want to open it up for fear of not being able to seal it.

Putting the injectors in jars seems easy but I have no idea how to keep other K-Jet items from contaminating the FD or the FD from contaminating the fuel tank via the return lines.

So far, I am clean from the fuel pump through the engine compartments supply and return lines.