PDA

View Full Version : hopefully pulling a delorean back from the brink of death...

Tatsu
07-20-2011, 09:00 PM
so, if all the cards play out right, my friend has a delorean hes gonna trade me for my mud truck..

all i know is its a 1981, stick, and its stat for 8 years, maybe 9...this is my dream come true..finding an old delorean and restoring it to running condition.

again, its not 100% since its in his grandpa's garage and might be sold..but IF its still there, its gonna be MINE!!! and i shall own a car, of which iv only seen one near me. crossing the bridge to Marco Island. iv hunted for something like this for about 5 years, and im only 21 haha

nullset
07-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Do NOT try to start it!

:)

--buddy

Tatsu
07-21-2011, 03:07 PM
hah why not?? i was gonna change all the fluids (and gas) and see if it still lives

sean
07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Do NOT try to start it!

:)

--buddy

Yup, open up that fuel tank and inspect. Plus change filters.

DMCMW Dave
07-21-2011, 03:23 PM
hah why not?? i was gonna change all the fluids (and gas) and see if it still lives

Because you'll plug up a bunch or expensive fuel system parts with crud from the bottom of the tank.

uhhair
07-21-2011, 05:05 PM

I think you should do a search on the forum for some topics related to this. For a D that's been sitting that long, even attempting to start it before you do some serious work on it is going to increase the cost and time of your restoration significantly.

Morpheus
07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Congrats on the find!

I'm going to echo everyone else's sentiment here and suggest a complete flushing of the fuel system and replacement of the vital components (fuel filter, pickup screen, rubber fuel lines, accumulator, etc.).

Be prepared to also replace any rubber coolant hoses and flush out your cooling system as well.

Most importantly, it's smart to concentrate on the mechanics of the car and get it running reliably, THEN worry about the cosmetics.

Welcome to the forum!

You're lucky that you live so close to DMCFL, you can save a lot on shipping for parts if you pick them up there....

DeLorean
07-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Nice find, Clean out the tank, change the fuel filter and see if it will run!

Tatsu
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
ill certainly get a lot of pictures, i sent DMCFL a email asking about parts. iv yet to get a reply tho >_>

what are the motors in deloreans?? iv heard they are old ford mustang motors..if so i can get slammin deals on motor parts..but i highly doubt that'll be true haha

i went up to DMCFL a few days ago, and they had a S13 on the Dyno, and 2 D's outback. everyone down here through they closed since they moved from the main road, to about 1 mile off the main road behind a dog track lol

DeLorean03
07-22-2011, 05:05 AM
what are the motors in deloreans?? iv heard they are old ford mustang motors..if so i can get slammin deals on motor parts..but i highly doubt that'll be true haha

2 thoughts come to mind at 4am, so please forgive me if this seems harsh:

1. It's a PRV-V6 (Peugot, Renault, Volvo)
2. Whoever told you THAT either:
a. Doesn't own a DeLorean
b. Doesn't know what the heck they're talking about
c. You probably shouldn't listen to anything else they tell you

or my personal favorite...

d. all of the above

Tatsu
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
that's a weird combo, explains the trans axle tho. I been searching online, and found a lot more stuff then I thought I would for these cars. was very nice haha, tho, still no reply from DMCFL :(

PlutonimicX
07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
Give them a call, I've always had good luck that way.

239-495-8550

Tatsu
07-22-2011, 02:37 PM
yeah..i probably outta call them haha