PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body rear arm rest

lindbergh
01-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Is there a trick to taking out the armrest, not the part on the door, the part that is static just behind the door?

Thanks.

DMC5180
01-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Is there a trick to taking out the armrest, not the part on the door, the part that is static just behind the door?

A separate question: Does the seat belt frame bolt have a nut on the other end or does it screw right into the frame? I want to uncross the lap belt but am wondering if it's going to turn into a 4 hr job having to remove exterior molding if it has a bolt on the other end that will come off.

Thanks.

That part is technically called the Arm Rest Extension. It is integrated into the rear side panel.

If you plan on removing the panel entirely follow these steps.

Remove 1 screw up by the headliner back corner
Remove Upper Seatbelt shoulder harness attachment (pop cover off to expose the bolt head) No nut to worry about.
Remove Lower Seatbelt attachment bolt (outer). No nut hear either.
Remove Inner Door Seal (along the panel edge mainly).
Remove Metal Toothed clips ( IF ANY) as required to release panel material wrapped under the door seal.
The fun Part, use a hair drier to warm the plastic Panel material wrapped around the edge.
Careful lift (unwrap) the material from the edge. Take your time as this stuff is fragile. work your way from bottom to top of the panel.
At this point the panel is largely released and can be removed.
Pop the seat belt (slot filler) from the panel and feed the belt through the panel.

To be more specific.

Inner seat belt Anchor bolt attaches through the Underbody and goes into a captured NUT on the FRAME.
Outer Seat belt Anchor bolts thread onto an Aluminum attach Points bonded into the UNDERBODY Structure.

lindbergh
01-12-2014, 06:17 PM
That part is technically called the Arm Rest Extension. It is integrated into the rear side panel.

If you plan on removing the panel entirely follow these steps.

Remove 1 screw up by the headliner back corner
Remove Upper Seatbelt shoulder harness attachment (pop cover off to expose the bolt head) No nut to worry about.
Remove Lower Seatbelt attachment bolt (outer). No nut hear either.
Remove Inner Door Seal (along the panel edge mainly).
Remove Metal Toothed clips ( IF ANY) as required to release panel material wrapped under the door seal.
The fun Part, use a hair drier to warm the plastic Panel material wrapped around the edge.
Careful lift (unwrap) the material from the edge. Take your time as this stuff is fragile. work your way from bottom to top of the panel.
At this point the panel is largely released and can be removed.
Pop the seat belt (slot filler) from the panel and feed the belt through the panel.

To be more specific.

Inner seat belt Anchor bolt attaches through the Underbody and goes into a captured NUT on the FRAME.
Outer Seat belt Anchor bolts thread onto an Aluminum attach Points bonded into the UNDERBODY Structure.

^Thanks!

OK, just so I understand. You have to remove the side panel and once removed will let you remove the arm rest extension? My intent is to get the arm rest extension recovered. Thanks.

Rich
01-12-2014, 06:40 PM
... You have to remove the side panel and once removed will let you remove the arm rest extension? My intent is to get the arm rest extension recovered. Thanks.

That's right. I think the arm rest extension is blind riveted from the back of the side panel. In any case you do have to take that panel off. This is why you haven't found any fasteners that allow you to get the extension off yet.

As it happens the arm rest extension isn't officially a separate part....it's integrated such that "Trim Panel and Armrest" is the part name, an example being P/N 110170.

You can get it off the trim panel, but the armrest wasn't made to be removed as you will see...