PDA

View Full Version : General Video screen

Spittybug
01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
I swear it's a disease...

I just bought a Raspberry Pi computer and will shortly get the touch screen to attach to it. I'm going to tie it up to my Megasquirt so that I have a built in means to tinker rather than using my laptop. I'll also tie in a GPS, wifi, backup monitor and a media source.. I think. I'm tinkering.

So my question is, in a perfect world (don't worry about the current configuration of the car's interior), where would you think a ~8" monitor would work best? Visibility wise, cool wise, usable wise.... In the center console? A/C console? Middle of steering pad? Flip down from overhead? >>>>???<<<<<

Oh yea, I need to start learning about programming a Raspberry Pi...................................:reading:

Michael
01-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Reminds me of my tuner days with my Talon Tsi and a laptop sitting in the passenger race seat with the 5 point harness buckles bouncing off the screen.

If visibility while driving is not top priority, the center console has a lot of real estate available. The inside of the glove box lid comes to mind for a stealth look. 8" is a lot of screen to mount, can you get by with less?

Bitsyncmaster
01-15-2014, 07:54 PM
You can fit a pretty large display just sitting on top of the center console above the AC vents. That's where I put my 4.8" GPS but even larger would be fine. Also can look at it when your driving.

Spittybug
01-15-2014, 09:45 PM
What I do right now is put the netbook right on top of the center column, on top of the air vents as you say Dave. I have a piece of plexi that fits behind the console and creates an anchor point to hold it in place. The glare is positively awful though. I suppose I could build some kind of surround to minimize it. If I could make the thing thin enough, having it hinge down from the ceiling would be kinda neat. Somewhere by the front courtesy light. Most of the time it would be folded up and therefore not blocking the rear view. Likewise, perhaps keeping it on the top of the air vents but flipping it up when wanted..... I was also thinking of directly aft of the gear shift, mounted slightly recessed in a new center console. That would be pretty neat to look at, but not all that practical to use when driving. It's challenging! I have a gooseneck that I could presumably mount somewhere and have the screen on the end of it to make it flexible. That might work...

And Michael, I'm not married to an 8" screen. I haven't bought anything yet.

Tillsy
01-15-2014, 10:04 PM
So my question is, in a perfect world (don't worry about the current configuration of the car's interior), where would you think a ~8" monitor would work best? Visibility wise, cool wise, usable wise.... In the center console?

Since you are asking that way, I'm going to say heads up display on the windshield :)

rdarlington
01-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Since you are asking that way, I'm going to say heads up display on the windshield :)

I used my Nexus 7 as a heads up display in my D as a speedometer. The basic functionality is there but optically it's terrible. Ya need pancake windows (developed by Farrand Optical in the 60s for the Apollo program) to get around the issues with it looking like a tablet computer sitting on a dash 3 feet in front of your eyes. 2 images when focused on the road and all that.

-Bob