PDA

View Full Version : 2930 - Need some muscle this Saturday or Sunday

nullset
07-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi all,

Is anyone free this weekend to help me get the engine and transmission back into 2930? I'll hopefully have them mated by then.

Should it be done with the car on jack stands, or on the wheels? Either can be arranged…..

--buddy

sean
07-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Is anyone free this weekend to help me get the engine and transmission back into 2930? I'll hopefully have them mated by then.…..

Got me a weekend full of birthday parties and girl scout trip to the aquarium :ehh:

Should it be done with the car on jack stands, or on the wheels? Either can be arranged
Probably best to do it with the wheels on so you have better stability since you'll be jarring things around.

sphiend
07-21-2011, 11:00 PM
I can donate a few hours Saturday. Would have to take off by 2:30.

Dangermouse
07-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Sorry, buddy, my weekend is full

nullset
07-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Need for muscle is postponed until I get the bolts I'm waiting on :)

Anyone that wants to come hang out or help out, I'll be at freeside every day and night for the next few weeks. There's plenty to do :)

--buddy

sean
07-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Need for muscle is postponed until I get the bolts I'm waiting on :)

Anyone that wants to come hang out or help out, I'll be at freeside every day and night for the next few weeks. There's plenty to do :)

--buddy

This is a good time for you to drop the transmission pan and clean the filter. I'm also assuming you have the transmission on a stand.

nullset
07-22-2011, 03:38 PM
This is a good time for you to drop the transmission pan and clean the filter. I'm also assuming you have the transmission on a stand.

Not currently, but I can probably put it on the engine stand. It's on a cart right now that's not very great but sort of works.

I could go ahead and disassemble it. The gaskets are coming along with the new bolts….

I'm sure I can find things to do…..like finish replacing the clips, and mount the radiator / fuel tank. I assume I should wait until the engine is back in to reinstall the intake manifold…..

--buddy

sean
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
. I assume I should wait until the engine is back in to reinstall the intake manifold…..

--buddy

no reason to wait at all really. I've never pulled/installed a D engine with the manifold off. Not saying you can't or should but I've just never done it. So, by all means, slap that manifold on, go for the exhaust manifolds too.

nullset
07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
I removed the transmission filter. The PO loves using orange silicone RTV in place of the correct gasket material…..

The filter actually looks fairly clean. Is this the proper method for cleaning it?

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/autotransfilter.html

--buddy

sean
07-22-2011, 06:06 PM
The filter actually looks fairly clean. Is this the proper method for cleaning it?

http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/autotransfilter.html

--buddy

That's a method I've known about but never done. I've had plenty of success with flushing the filter with carb cleaner.

sean
07-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Any updates?

You and Doug meet up?

nullset
07-23-2011, 09:29 PM
I didn't go to Freeside today….. I wasn't feeling well.

Back at it tomorrow….I'm waiting on the bolts before I put the engine/transmission back together. I'll finish putting in the fuel system tomorrow, and finish up the brakes I hope.

Should I preemptively buy a new fuel accumulator, or is there some slight chance that the one there is not bad? Is there a test I can do?

--buddy

sean
07-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Should I preemptively buy a new fuel accumulator, or is there some slight chance that the one there is not bad? Is there a test I can do?

--buddy

I hate to say it but "you might as well" replace it.it's already out.

nullset
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM
That's a method I've known about but never done. I've had plenty of success with flushing the filter with carb cleaner.

How do you flush it? Just soak it or spray it?

--buddy

sean
07-27-2011, 10:56 PM
How do you flush it? Just soak it or spray it?

Yes. :umm: if you have access to a vat of carb cleaner, napa will sell you a 5-gallon bucket of it, you can dips and soak. Done this with CV joints too, makes for an easy clean. Mostly though I just use about a good quarter to half a can of carb cleaner to flush I out.

nullset
07-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Yes. :umm: if you have access to a vat of carb cleaner, napa will sell you a 5-gallon bucket of it, you can dips and soak. Done this with CV joints too, makes for an easy clean. Mostly though I just use about a good quarter to half a can of carb cleaner to flush I out.

Okay, it's been thoroughly cleaned. I got my new gasket as well. Engine and Transmission will be mated tomorrow, then I'll reinstall the filter and drain plugs, and fill them both up with oil.

After that, it's time to put the engine and transmission back in the frame.

Finally, some progress! ;)

--buddy

sean
07-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Finally, some progress! ;)

--buddy

nice! Buddy's working hard!