PDA

View Full Version : Not so pleasant surprise

Rich_NYS
01-27-2014, 11:25 PM
Hey...none of you guys warned me about THIS kinda thing...WTH! -lol! :coffee:

Jimmyvonviggle
01-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Yummy! There is something about DeLoreans that attract rodents, must be their exotic nature.

Michael
01-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Holy cow! You better watch your back...those rats may come looking for the guy who stole their home!

NightFlyer
01-28-2014, 12:51 AM
In dealing with rodents, I prefer the Dale Gribble method - release a mongoose!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplqogwFzzA

ALEXAKOS
01-28-2014, 02:04 AM
Looks like a Dangermouse!:histerical1:
Living behind a Sub. Oh boy.
Well consider your self REAL LUCKY he hasn't chewed on any wiring.

JohnZ
01-28-2014, 04:00 AM
You gotta play something from the "Stray cats" thru those speakers, you'll see how they run!

:histerical1:

LordFly
01-28-2014, 07:45 AM
I've never had issues like this in my garage. Probably because it's attached, but not heated. It's warm enough that you'd have a hard time keeping your popsicles frozen, but you wouldn't want to build your rat home there either since everything on the other side of the wall is heated.

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 08:22 AM
Living behind a Sub. Oh boy.
Well consider your self REAL LUCKY he hasn't chewed on any wiring.

I found some chewed wires under the console and I'm actually hopeful that there are more.....maybe the passenger window & headlight problems will just be some chewed wires.

The car was in storage for 11 years and so far this appears to be the worst of it. On the bright side, it appears he started and ran it on a regular basis.

Dangermouse
01-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Hey now !

Jonathan
01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Have a look in the jack/tools space up front. Take your jack bag out and then lean in with a flashlight and look towards the corners of the car (behind the headlights more or less). The mice seem to like that spot on the passenger side as well! Behind the front grill is popular too. What did you find under the relay bracket on the passenger side?

Jimmyvonviggle
01-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Don't forget that panel right behind the drivers side on the parcel shelf, and in the ducts and vents in the dash.

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Have a look in the jack/tools space up front. Take your jack bag out and then lean in with a flashlight and look towards the corners of the car (behind the headlights more or less). The mice seem to like that spot on the passenger side as well! Behind the front grill is popular too.

Good call, I took out the jack & stuff last week:

24879 24880

Last night I saw some rodent evidence behind the grill, but no time to do any cleaning.

What did you find under the relay bracket on the passenger side?

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about the area where the fuses & relays are?

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Don't forget that panel right behind the drivers side on the parcel shelf, and in the ducts and vents in the dash.

Above the cubby box? Is there a panel that lifts out like the fuse area on the passenger side?

Ducts & vents, you gotta good point there....this might not be over yet! :ninja:

Thanks!

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 09:50 AM
BTW, When I was cleaning out the cubby box, I saw something in there that says "Jetronic" on it....what is that?

Spittybug
01-28-2014, 10:03 AM
BTW, When I was cleaning out the cubby box, I saw something in there that says "Jetronic" on it....what is that?

Um..... the brains for the fuel system. Totally optional as us EFI guys will tell you. Make sure your mouse friend didn't snack on it, or worse yet, piss all over it.

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 10:15 AM
Um..... the brains for the fuel system. Totally optional as us EFI guys will tell you. Make sure your mouse friend didn't snack on it, or worse yet, piss all over it.

Thanks....I realized that was probably a dumbass question, but I'm learning as I go. I'm usually a pretty quick study so I'll get there. :thumbup:

DMCMW Dave
01-28-2014, 10:20 AM
We had a new one yesterday - the window squirter didn't work but you could hear the motor run. With a bit more troubleshooting the tech noticed the sound of water hitting the front floor mat. Mickey had chewed through the washer hose just above lambda box. . . . Argh. .

Jimmyvonviggle
01-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Above the cubby box? Is there a panel that lifts out like the fuse area on the passenger side?

Ducts & vents, you gotta good point there....this might not be over yet! :ninja:

Thanks!

Yes

Jonathan
01-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Rich,

That picture of the passenger front corner looking through the jack/tools door... you can see a nest in there. Same spot I had one. One of those grabby, extension prong thingys will come in handy for pulling it out if you can't reach.

Yea, I meant the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat. I thought at one point you posted a picture of that area and could see a little bit of insulation/mouse nest material tucked in there under the fuse box or lower relay bracket?

The driver's side has a similar/mirrored wooden board cover as the passenger side. Under it are the ECU, Lambda boxes and a similar bracket to the passenger side. Not nearly as much stuff on that side, but just as important. One of the control boxes can be seen from the cubby hole, which is what you probably saw that said Jetronic. It mounts vertical as opposed to the others which lie horizontal. Open it up and have a look!

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Rich,

That picture of the passenger front corner looking through the jack/tools door... you can see a nest in there. Same spot I had one. One of those grabby, extension prong thingys will come in handy for pulling it out if you can't reach.

I got it with a shop vac, I just need to use some disinfectant on the remaining [stuck] dropppings.

Yea, I meant the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat. I thought at one point you posted a picture of that area and could see a little bit of insulation/mouse nest material tucked in there under the fuse box or lower relay bracket?

You have a good memory, there was some nest material in there. It wasn't too bad, I cleaned it out this past weekend.

The driver's side has a similar/mirrored wooden board cover as the passenger side. Under it are the ECU, Lambda boxes and a similar bracket to the passenger side. Not nearly as much stuff on that side, but just as important. One of the control boxes can be seen from the cubby hole, which is what you probably saw that said Jetronic. It mounts vertical as opposed to the others which lie horizontal. Open it up and have a look!

I'm glad you guys pointed that out, it'll be my mission tonite after work...

DMCMW Dave
01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
I got it with a shop vac, I just need to use some disinfectant on the remaining [stuck] droppings.

You have a good memory, there was some nest material in there. It wasn't too bad, I cleaned it out this past weekend.

I'm glad you guys pointed that out, it'll be my mission tonite after work...

Pull the upper grill between the headlights.

Eventually you'll find the ones that are living on top of the engine too.

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Eventually you'll find the ones that are living on top of the engine too.

Good stuff, thanks Dave.

When I get home tonite, I'm goin' in! :gunfire:

DMCMW Dave
01-28-2014, 11:27 AM
Good stuff, thanks Dave.

When I get home tonite, I'm goin' in! :gunfire:

I've seen the upper grille area completely stuff with mouse bedding, typically insulation (from the garage the car is parked in) or carpet padding.

We once found an engine valley (I wish I could locate the photo) that was very colorful, the mice had found a box of kids winter hats and gloves as a source.

Jonathan
01-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Oh yea, wasp's/hornet's nests... up front or in the vents as was mentioned. Have a look at the two openings at the rear. Passenger side is the air intake going to the filter housing on the top of the engine and the driver's side one is empty. Sort of. If you have a power antenna, it will be in there along with the charcoal canister further down. I had my car for longer than I would care to admit until one day in a parking lot a kid says to me "I think there is a bee's nest in there." Sure enough, I get home and clean it all out :) It's easy enough to access if you go at it by removing the cover on the engine bay side.

ALEXAKOS
01-28-2014, 01:51 PM
My mouse nests:
Behind the front turn signal housing and the front grill:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00006_zpscea3209d.jpg

Inside the air intake:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00015_zps74604336.jpg

and yes.. The VOD:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz135/alex-akos/delo%20resto/DSC00045_zps67889f23.jpg

DMCMW Dave
01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
I had my car for longer than I would care to admit until one day in a parking lot a kid says to me "I think there is a bee's nest in there." Sure enough, I get home and clean it all out :) It's easy enough to access if you go at it by removing the cover on the engine bay side.

Were those Canadian hornets or transplanted Missouri hornets??

Jonathan
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Were those Canadian hornets or transplanted Missouri hornets??

Haha, all my unwelcome guests were transported with the car from St. Louis. I don't remember them being indicated on the customs paperwork though!!

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 10:28 PM

24915 24916

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 10:30 PM
My mouse nests:
Behind the front turn signal housing and the front grill:

Yeow!

Rich_NYS
01-28-2014, 10:34 PM

Not sure about behind the headlights, but so far not too much:

OverlandMan
01-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Not trying to be captain obvious but looks like someone's hacked your wiring to some degree

Mark D
01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Don't forget to check below the fuel fill pipe too...

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24924&d=1391011140