PDA

View Full Version : Saab Kyle review of a 1982 Delorean.

Chris Burns
02-03-2014, 10:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfnSQQhYojw

Domi
02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Thanks for sharing ;)

JohnZ
02-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Not bad! But is that a black tinted glass?

louielouie2000
02-03-2014, 07:45 PM
That same dealer (RK Motors of Charlotte) had another DeLorean for sale 4-5 years ago and was an equally nice example. Weird that their website doesn't reflect a DeLorean in their current or incoming inventory, nor does their sold inventory reflect any DeLoreans.

Edit: I see they added the car to their incoming inventory. They want $70k for it!! :dead:

Rich
02-03-2014, 09:44 PM
Yes, thanks for sharing.

To start with, this video is a decent reference for interested buyers since it has lots of details and is fairly accurate and non-judgmental. Good rundown of the DMC-12's history, design, operation, benefits and quirks.

As for that particular specimen it's a very clean 3-sp example with 1,400 (or 101,400?) miles showing on the odo.

Upsides:
- Fairly original (audio system, flux capacitor and dummy switches notwithstanding), even down to the plastic coolant bottle and ignition warning buzzer
- Nice panel fit and fascias
- Engine runs well, idles smoothly
- Decent suspension setup
- A very happy voltmeter (ours does not run that high)

Interesting to see what the car looks like with 225/60R15's on the back (Falkens)

A few glitches:
- Could almost use new door struts
- The left brake lights were out
- Kyle says it runs on "premium unleaded" - which it will not refuse but does not need - regular unleaded is specified

There are a few other very minor hiccups. The quality of the shots and the audio commentary more than make up for them. Some D owners themselves don't have as many facts straight as Kyle does.

With over 14,000 hits on the same day this video published it's nice to anticipate there could be this much good information going out so broadly.

pezzonovante88
02-03-2014, 10:16 PM
That's a very nice DeLorean, though I'm not sure about the undercoating. Too bad it has that ugly flux capacitor in there, too.
Regarding the review itself; pretty well done with only a few bits of misinformation. This guy is always very thorough and this would be quite a good video to watch for novice the DeLorean enthusiast.

Also, am I ever glad my door buzzer is disconnected!

Thanks for posting, Chris.

Chris Burns
02-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Darren Decker knows the owner of this Delorean quite well.

The car was restored by Richard Petty Motors in Charlotte and the King himself even gave it the once over.:aniclap:

The original stereo and NCT Radials are included with the sale.

The stripe is a reproduction (but it's a nice one!!).

cyberflexx
02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Thank you for sharing!.. that video answered some questions for me.

eagle-co94
02-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Overall it was a great video.
My biggest concern with the car is the knocking sound every time he hit the gas peddle. Any idea what that noise is?

It was interesting to see that it wore the same Falken tires I put on my first D back in 2008 when I couldn't find matching F/R sets anymore. I don't like the undercoating and how it was also sprayed on the oil pan which I think defeats the purpose of having an exposed and finned oil pan. It would have been much better to mount the switch panel inside the ashtray instead of into the NLA armrest pad...especially on such a clean and original looking car.

louielouie2000
02-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Upsides:
- Fairly original (audio system, flux capacitor and dummy switches notwithstanding), even down to the plastic coolant bottle and ignition warning buzzer
- Nice panel fit and fascias
- Engine runs well, idles smoothly
- Decent suspension setup
- A very happy voltmeter (ours does not run that high)

Interesting to see what the car looks like with 225/60R15's on the back (Falkens)

A few glitches:
- Could almost use new door struts
- The left brake lights were out
- Kyle says it runs on "premium unleaded" - which it will not refuse but does not need - regular unleaded is specified

I was impressed with the ease of start up and quickly settling into a very smooth (for a DeLorean) idle. Usually the plastic coolant bottle is a sign of a DeLorean being seriously mechanically neglected, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. The interior was gorgeous- no browning or cracking, everything was perfectly clean.

However, there were some things about the car that irked me.

1) The ass-on-the-ground suspension is a pet peeve of mine. I know this is the way some cars turn out when the Eibach springs are installed. However, it seems the DeLorean vendors are finally beginning to compensate for that, and are adjusting the rear ride heights when they install Eibach kits.

2) The toggle switches for the flux capacitor annoy me to no end. They could have removed one of the dummy switches on the console & installed one of those new blank repro switches for the flux capacitor instead.

Darren Decker knows the owner of this Delorean quite well.

The car was restored by Richard Petty Motors in Charlotte and the King himself even gave it the once over.:aniclap:

The original stereo and NCT Radials are included with the sale.

The stripe is a reproduction (but it's a nice one!!).

See? I disagree about the stripe. It's too shiny- doesn't have the proper "pebble" texture or matte finish. The DMC letters aren't printed in the proper stylized DMC logo like the originals, nor are they cut out to reveal the stainless like most repros. Don't get me wrong... I love wide stripes on DeLoreans. They seem to be going extinct on these cars very quickly. But I just wish they'd either gotten at least the logo or the texture right on this set.

I realize I seem nitpicky, but if they're wanting $70k for this car, it should exceed perfection.

Dangermouse
02-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Is "Saab Kyle" some sort of personality?

Or just a guy called Kyle who owns/likes Saabs?

louielouie2000
02-04-2014, 01:24 PM

Or just a guy called Kyle who owns/likes Saabs?

He seems to be a youtube car reviewer- I watched one of his videos on the Fiat 500 Abarth last week. So I guess he doesn't just review Saabs or even just new cars. *shrug*

Farrar
02-04-2014, 02:28 PM

"Personality" is a fairly generous word to use, IMHO...

Dangermouse
02-11-2014, 03:33 PM
ebay'd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Other-/171238110165?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27de9633d5&item=171238110165&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&sspagename=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101

and it is an 83
(http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Other-/171238110165?forcerrptr=true&hash=item27de9633d5&item=171238110165&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&sspagename=RSS:B:SHOP:US:101)

Hokie
02-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Buy it now: $69,900. Wow. Same price as on their website. I wonder what the highest sales price of a D has been in, say, the last 5 years?

Iznodmad
02-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Around April 2009, one sold for $40,000. Forum member Ozzie, whom has information regarding LED upgrades also has data collected regarding eBay sales of DeLoreans. Cool info.