PDA

View Full Version : Regular Car Reviews Delorean

Josh
02-10-2014, 11:10 AM
I was waiting for this day for a while... haha. Enjoy!
Also, for people not familiar with the RCR style... These are not regular reviews!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhAlWTyviKA

Ozzie
02-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Quirky review, but overall it's nice to see our cars get some good press.
Getting some good comments also:

"This is why I love RCR. Watch any other review of the DMC-12 and they'll spend the entirety of the review talking about how its handling and acceleration don't deliver the supercar promise that its RR layout makes. Instead Mr. Regular spends 8 minutes talking about the idiosyncrasies of the car like how the doors close or the green indicator for low beams or the horn button being in a weird place or the people at car shows that want to molest the DeLorean and only the DeLorean. These are things I would never know about the DMC-12 unless I bought one."

"I agree, this review was fantastic.

And Im sick of how every review of this car says its awful. It's a sports car car from 1981. Every car made that year had awful performance. Compare it against a 1981 corvette or 911 and it wont be too far off."

bladerunner
02-10-2014, 12:50 PM
RCR is always a hoot, albeit mildly disturbing.

Whose car was that anyway?

tyb323
02-10-2014, 02:01 PM
Mine.

Timebender
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
I loved that review. Nothing but unadulterated respect and joy from this guy.

sdg3205
02-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Best. Review. Ever.

rdarlington
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
A buddy of mine just shot this over to me. Very cool. Fun vid. I almost posted it but figured somebody here would beat me to it, and sure enough that was the case. I'm always last to get the memo!

Domi
02-10-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks for sharing the video.
The two guys at the beginning remind me the movie Wayne's World :hihi2:

ccurzio
02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
I like the little Galaxy Class Starship hanging from the rearview.

OverlandMan
02-10-2014, 03:59 PM
Guess I never looked at the seat-belt clip that closely...

tyb323
02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Gotta say I was enjoying reading the comments up until this point...

David Davidson-
Matt Farah, is that your DMC?

TheSmokingTire-
no, mine is nice. This one is pretty shanty. 

I think it's extremely rude, childish, and flat out stupid on the part of someone who portrays himself as a car guy to take a jab at another person's car, let alone in the same tiny community. I don't have the cash for a 60 grand stage 2 "new build" with everything off the shelves. My shanty little car gets me wherever I need to go, has been a part of me for roughly a third of my life now, and means a lot to me. Just because I didn't get all the bells and whistles on mine (that I restored it to a better state than it was when I got it) doesn't mean it's shanty. Frankly it's in pretty good shape.

Vent over, just really irked me.

Rich_NYS
02-10-2014, 05:41 PM

David Davidson-

TheSmokingTire-

I think your car looks good bro....best review ever. Those guys must've been a blast to work with.

Seems like a primadonna comment for TST to make....

Michael
02-10-2014, 06:21 PM

David Davidson-

TheSmokingTire-

I think it's extremely rude, childish, and flat out stupid on the part of someone who portrays himself as a car guy to take a jab at another person's car, let alone in the same tiny community. I don't have the cash for a 60 grand stage 2 "new build" with everything off the shelves. My shanty little car gets me wherever I need to go, has been a part of me for roughly a third of my life now, and means a lot to me. Just because I didn't get all the bells and whistles on mine (that I restored it to a better state than it was when I got it) doesn't mean it's shanty. Frankly it's in pretty good shape.

Yeah that was uncalled for. Well he is fat and bald.....so there.

Am I the only one who caught the 4 speed automatic error?

NightFlyer
02-10-2014, 06:30 PM

David Davidson-

TheSmokingTire-

Agreed - there was no reason for Farah to take a cheap shot at your car - especially seeing as how your car is not "shanty" at all. What a shlep rock Matt Farah just proved he is, not that I was ever a fan to begin with. Makes you wonder if the guy ever really turned any of his own wrenches, or if he was only ever good at writing checks and acting like a buffoon in front of a camera/microphone. I know that some here were wanting Farah to join the forums, but after that, I'm not sure that I'd be very welcoming of him anyway.

Self absorb pretentious pricks piss me off.

sdg3205
02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Tyler. You're car is a very nice example.

Also - what Michael said.

tyb323
02-10-2014, 08:23 PM
Well thank all of you! I appreciate the support. I know my car has some dings, a little mess under the hood and all, but she's my stupid loveable car. But I guess reliable could-be daily driver isn't good enough for the LA/NYC jetset type...

DeLorean
02-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Well thank all of you! I appreciate the support. I know my car has some dings, a little mess under the hood and all, but she's my stupid loveable car. But I guess reliable could-be daily driver isn't good enough for the LA/NYC jetset type...

Looked nice to me! It's a 30+ year old Irish car that you actually drive once in a while. It's not going to be perfect, mine isn't. But it's a DeLorean!

Timebender
02-10-2014, 10:35 PM
Where did Farah make the comment? Also as a guy who doesn't even own a D (yet!), I know the difference between an 81 and a last build throw it together we need to sell what's left that we can 83...
And your D is very nice Tyler. That seemed like a very fun shoot.

Michael
02-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Where did Farah make the comment? Also as a guy who doesn't even own a D (yet!), I know the difference between an 81 and a last build throw it together we need to sell what's left that we can 83...

Actually the 83's were reported to be the best original DeLoreans built.

Timebender
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Oh. That's interesting to know. I had always been under the impression those were basically put together as quickly as possible with leftover parts to cover costs, etc.

Btw, love your model of the Falcon... amazing work.

Farrar
02-11-2014, 01:29 PM
I like the little Galaxy Class Starship hanging from the rearview.

Don't forget the TOS communicator on the keyring. :)

Am I the only one who caught the 4 speed automatic error?

No, I always wish mine had a fourth gear, especially on the highway when the engine is turning at 3,500 RPM.

Reported by whom? Not questioning your experience, just curious where this comes from.

Josh
02-11-2014, 01:46 PM
Reported by whom? Not questioning your experience, just curious where this comes from.

Im sure Micheal can elaborate but it was all a learning curve with a highly inexperienced workforce. many of the triple digit vins (very first cars) had to be re-assembled when they got to the US as they were improperly assembled in Ireland. As time went on the quality went up. The last cars are considered to be the best as the plant had laid off most workers and operated under a skeleton staff consisting om managers. This essentially meant the most knowledgeable employees in each area were physically assembling the cars.

cyberflexx
02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Good review although the guy was kinda strange..

That's a good looking car. I hate to hear what the guy from smoking tire said about it. What a jerk. I stopped watching his videos because of that comment.

louielouie2000
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM

It's interesting, when I first started hanging out in the community about 15 years ago, it was common accepted knowledge that the '83s were the best build quality of the lot. Sometime in the past few years, this seems to have flip flopped in the online world. I'm not sure what brought on the sudden change, or if there's any truth behind it at all. I have to wonder if this is just some sort of viral "knowledge"- the DeLorean community is great at regurgitating unfounded dogma, even once it's been empirically disproven. I think suggesting the workers no longer cared about their jobs at the end or the product they were making is an insult to anyone who was a part of the DeLorean project. Nick Sutton & others will tell you otherwise. To those who worked at the factory, this job was the opportunity of a lifetime.

I can say from my first hand experience that the later builds do seem to be more solid than the early cars. My '82 was vastly tighter & quieter than my '81, despite my '81 being in a state of better preservation. The doors on the '83s seem to operate vastly better than earlier cars, and the panels gaps seem better for the most part. Obviously the '83s benefit from the various production upgrades: front end strengthening recall, door guides, repositioned door straps (helped ensure both striker pins latched), improved antenna location, higher output alternator, 1-piece armrest extension/b-pillar interior trim panel, and dozens of other little fixes I'm forgetting. Plus by the 1983 model year the factory workers had over a year and several thousand cars build experience, thus build quality should be greatly improved.

Farrar
02-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Maybe it's just the ads on eBay and Craig's List saying that the best time for DeLorean build quality was August-October 1981, and the car for sale just happens to be a September '81 build... ;)

Michael
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Actually if you want black and white records...it was in the Car Crash documentary and it was a high ranking employee at the time...don't remember his name. Start at 51:40 to about 53:00

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMUXZaROJKM

Farrar
02-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Actually if you want black and white records...

I'm just glad to know it's more than just DeLorean lore. :) Thanks!

Michael
02-11-2014, 02:58 PM
I'm just glad to know it's more than just DeLorean lore. :) Thanks!

I have actually read this about the last cars too but I I can't remember where...probably here somewhere. One thing I have surmised is that the employees of DMC were not the stereotypical employee of today. They didn't have a "F#&$ it" attitude. They genuinely wanted their company to succeed. I use the word "their" intentionally as I believe they really felt like they were part of something special and they belonged to it. If they fail here who knows when another job lime this will come along? Maybe they were not the best plant workers but what they lacked in skill and experience they made up for in drive and passion. The last cars were not a "let's just get this done and go home" type of thing. It was a "Let's show them what we are made of. If we can just do that then maybe we will still have a job". I personally think it was a desperate (and valiant) attempt to keep the company alive.

Farrar
02-11-2014, 03:00 PM
Michael, that certainly seems to have been the overall attitude of the workers - that's the feeling I got from reading Nick Sutton's book, anyway.

Starglider
02-12-2014, 07:32 AM
The condition of the car is fine; the show is about 'regular cars' not tuned or concours vehicles. Many of the other cars he's done were in much worse shape, heavily rusted etc. Was expecting a positive outlook following the MR-2 episode but hadn't guessed he was such a big fan of the DMC-12.

NightFlyer
02-12-2014, 10:54 AM
I think that the notion that some of the early built cars had great build quality comes from the fact that many of them were completely taken apart and rebuilt here in the US by the POGs. Even though my car isn't a super early build, it was used by the Troy, MI QAC as a parts car, and as such was largely rebuilt here in the US by parts POG Chris Duvall himself. My car has been extremely reliable under my ownership, and everything is fully operable on it.