PDA

View Full Version : Frame & Body Large shiny spot on my SS

Rich_NYS
02-11-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm cleaning the SS on my car and noticed a large shiny spot on the lower side of the passenger door, extending a bit onto the lower part of the rear quarter panel. It looks to me like the PO might've went at it with a buffer, then stopped when he saw the effect.

The lower part of the passenger fender also looks odd, almost like it's "over-grained." Maybe it was buffered as well, and an attempt was made to "fix it."

I'm thinking I'll need to use sandpaper to normalize it, then use pads. I have 80 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and coarse & medium grit pads. Does this sound like a good approach?

25175 25176 25177

David T
02-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm cleaning the SS on my car and noticed a large shiny spot on the lower side of the passenger door, extending a bit onto the lower part of the rear quarter panel. It looks to me like the PO might've went at it with a buffer, then stopped when he saw the effect.

The lower part of the passenger fender also looks odd, almost like it's "over-grained." Maybe it was buffered as well, and an attempt was made to "fix it."

I'm thinking I'll need to use sandpaper to normalize it, then use pads. I have 80 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper and coarse & medium grit pads. Does this sound like a good approach?

25175 25176 25177

I never had much success doing "spot" repairs. Figure on doing all of the panels to get them to all look the same.

Rich_NYS
02-11-2014, 11:44 AM
I never had much success doing "spot" repairs. Figure on doing all of the panels to get them to all look the same.

I am working on all the panels, but clearly I really need to treat this spot more aggressivley than the rest of the car. Sandpaper, then blending pads sound right?

Curious as to what caused it....does it look like a buffer attack to you too?

Thanks.

Kenny_Z
02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I had a few of those spots too after the paint removal.

You can see one in this photo on the rear quarter.
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/paint58.jpg

Here it is after some work.
http://uploads.m-cgi.com/kennyz/Delorean/Projects/paint75.jpg

I went over it with 120 to blend the edges into the rest of the stainless and then 80 to remove the shine. Finally I used a blending pad over most of the panel. I went well beyond the spot with the 80 grit so it would blend properly.

Rich_NYS
02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I had a few of those spots too after the paint removal.

I went over it with 120 to blend the edges into the rest of the stainless and then 80 to remove the shine. Finally I used a blending pad over most of the panel. I went well beyond the spot with the 80 grit so it would blend properly.

Good tips...thanks!

NightFlyer
02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
While you may need to be more aggressive, I've often found that using a heavy duty Scotch Brite with varying degrees of pressure will often take care of most issues. I'd personally try that before breaking out the sand paper. If you have a stainless sink (or know someone who does), you can practice in the basin and see how varying degrees of pressure using just a Scotch Brite affects the stainless. I personally always use the Scotch Brite pad wet, as opposed to dry. As David T said though, plan on going over the whole car.

Best of luck and have fun! :thumbup:

Rich_NYS
02-11-2014, 01:27 PM
I personally always use the Scotch Brite pad wet, as opposed to dry. As David T said though, plan on going over the whole car.

Best of luck and have fun! :thumbup:

Silly question: wet w/water, right? I've seen it mentioned to use SS cleaner with the pad.

Thanks!

NightFlyer
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Silly question: wet w/water, right? I've seen it mentioned to use SS cleaner with the pad.

Thanks!

Yeah, I just use water when going over the car with the Scotch Brite.

SS cleaner will fill the grain and cause a smoother finish, so unless you're desiring that kind of an effect, I'd stick with using water as a lubricant. Save the SS cleaner to use as you'd use a polish/wax on a painted car.

David T
02-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I just use water when going over the car with the Scotch Brite.

SS cleaner will fill the grain and cause a smoother finish, so unless you're desiring that kind of an effect, I'd stick with using water as a lubricant. Save the SS cleaner to use as you'd use a polish/wax on a painted car.

I do it dry. Yes, you can take out most things with *just* the blending pad but it can take a while. If it is a lot I like using #80 sandpaper and then going over it with the finer blending pad.