PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this car? Thoughts on this?

cyberflexx
02-16-2014, 01:24 AM
https://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/1981_delorean_dmc-12_186175957_6

Does anyone know this car in New Hampshire? Can you guys help a newb out and give me some advice on this one? Can't see the chassis. I'm not sure what all need to look at.

Thanks

Hokie
02-16-2014, 08:52 AM
I highly recount that you purchase 'The Illustrated Buyers Guide to DeLorean Automobiles' by James Espey from DMCH. Also, when going to look at a DeLorean, try to find a current owner to go with you to help you evaluate the car. I did both these things - I would have been at a total loss without either one. Good luck!

ALEXAKOS
02-16-2014, 09:36 AM
A great looking gray auto version.
I'd ask for some frame photos specifically the front end and behind the rear wheels;)

Chris Burns
02-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Yes + 1 on the Buyers Guide. :hihi:

Frame rust is the number one issue to look out for. If it's just surface rust it can be sorted out usually. Anything worse, WALK AWAY!!

Jonathan
02-16-2014, 05:20 PM
Thoughts?

- A general nervousness or need for caution when dealing with these types of dealers/brokers.

- This car in particular... a better view of the instrument cluster to indicate whether the fuel gauge needle is pointing straight up. Also, investigate why the battery cover is on the parcel shelf in one of the photos. If the battery needed jumping, find out why.

- As others mentioned, get photos of the frame and look for rust on it as well as many of the other brackets and fittings. If it's rusty in one or two places, it'll be rusty in many more.

- If you are there in person, take a D owner with you. If you don't have one of those available to you, at the very least get in the car, drive it, don't let Joe Salesman rush you and try every possible switch, button and feature and determine if they are working as designed. If they aren't, make a list and that'll help you determine how much under the list price you would be willing to pay. Specifically with the automatics, get it out at highway speeds to ensure it's shift computer is working properly. If you are driving easy, you should be comfortably in 3rd by the time you're doing 35 mph. If it's revving the daylights out of itself while puttering around town, you'll need to add a shift computer rebuild to your price list.

- Be patient and don't buy the car on emotion. Sleep on it and if it isn't there for you tomorrow, it wasn't meant to be yours. And have fun!

cyberflexx
02-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the tips.. I wont be able to look at that car or any that are not local. Which ever one I go with, I'll have to rely on pictures and videos. I do not know anyone with a Delorean that is local to me, in Huntington, WV. I really don't want a problem car as I am not really all that mechanically inclined. Whatever car I go with, it will have to be ready to go with no issues as I wont be able to do any major repairs.

I may skip this one, I'll have to think about it for a few days.

Thanks again!..

-Jim

baldwinsusa
02-17-2014, 04:18 AM
Jim, you will have to expect repairs after you own, even if it's a refurb. I'm getting another D when I return to the states and have already found a maintenance shop with a guy who used to work at Russell BMW-DeLorean in 1981. Anyway, best to have realistic expectations on these cars.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

DeLorean03
02-17-2014, 09:13 AM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5614-For-sale-section-rules-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-!!!

LEVY
02-17-2014, 09:24 AM
http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?5614-For-sale-section-rules-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING-!!!

Didn't see any rules being broke.

He posted on the Want to Buy section as he wanted to buy this vehicle.

LEVY

cyberflexx
02-17-2014, 09:35 AM

LEVY

+1

Thank you Levy. i am strongly considering this but needed some advice. That's alot of money to throw at something, sight unseen and not knowing a whole lot about the cars.

OverlandMan
02-17-2014, 09:51 AM

LEVY

Agreed. This is a Want to Buy not a seller's post. Unless I'm reading the rules wrong...

DeLorean03
02-17-2014, 09:59 AM
You guys were right. My fault - I wasn't paying proper attention.

My apologies to the OP.

Iznodmad
02-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Find a car with significant repairs and a paper trail of recent work done. Also a car that has been proven to be daily driver status used. Those are hard to come by b/c those are usually not for sale and are being loved by the current owners. These type cars are not "cheap" either. I know of such a car for sale. Call DPI.

OverlandMan
02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Cyberflexx,

What are your intentions with this car (ie: daily driver, Sunday driver, garage queen, etc.)? I think that will dictate how you proceed in your hunt. I'll agree w/ others that you should read Jame Espy's book and if possible have a local D owner assist you if you're going to inspect a car in person. Also, I'd say regardless of whether its a $15k car or a $50k car, expect repairs and such outside of routine maintenance. You'll save more $ if you learn to do some of the work yourself.

Jonathan
02-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Hey Jim,

As was mentioned, being realistic is important.

You said a car with no issues and that you couldn't do any major repairs yourself. I think you can aim for a car with no major issues right off the bat, but you may need to have a plan for resolving small issues as well as potential new major issues.

Finding a car that is currently driven every weekend for 100 miles and has been for a few years is a nice description. Like mentioned though, they are harder to find as the owners enjoy that car and a buyer will need to put up bigger bucks to get it.

A couple names come to mind of new owners who are no longer owners as they expected it to be a hands-off hobby. The car will have issues in it's future and having a realistic way of handling them is important. Owning these cars is not a good fit for everyone or every kind of person. That's not a sign that you or anyone else is good bad or in between, it's just life.

If you're still learning and unsure, this summer I would look forward to seeking out a local owner somewhere near you and go and spend time with him and see what the cars are really like. Not just meeting him at a car show, but hang out at his garage/house, ask questions and see what he is working on, how complicated it is and how much it is costing. Ask what kinds of previous projects he's done and why. There are always exceptions but you'll start to see some patterns and consistencies.

cyberflexx
02-17-2014, 10:53 AM
My intentions are weekend driver, something to play with and have fun, maybe drive to work once a month or so and maybe take to local car shows. I'd like to have peace of mind that if I drive the car to Cincinatti on one of my trips to BassPro Shops, that the car will get me there and back. Last few summers I have been going to shows and been asking others if any one with a D ever shows up. They all tell me there has never been one at any of the shows they have been to. I know of one D that is in supposed to be in an airplane hanger and probably hasn't been started since 82. The owner is a wealthy elderly man and I do not know him. I can do some smaller work on the car, like oil changes and basic stuff but valve jobs, fuel systems and tune ups would have to be done by someone else. My step father in law owns a garage but he said he really didn't want to work on the car. I think he is afraid of them and keeps calling them junk.:flamed: I should be able to replace belts and relays and maybe brake pads. I also know I am going to have to learn as I go. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to buy one from DMC, that way I know it has been gone over by an expert. I'm really just confusing myself...:thinkin:

Jonathan
02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
My intentions are weekend driver, something to play with and have fun, maybe drive to work once a month or so and maybe take to local car shows. I'd like to have peace of mind that if I drive the car to Cincinatti on one of my trips to BassPro Shops, that the car will get me there and back. Last few summers I have been going to shows and been asking others if any one with a D ever shows up. They all tell me there has never been one at any of the shows they have been to. I know of one D that is in supposed to be in an airplane hanger and probably hasn't been started since 82. The owner is a wealthy elderly man and I do not know him. I can do some smaller work on the car, like oil changes and basic stuff but valve jobs, fuel systems and tune ups would have to be done by someone else. My step father in law owns a garage but he said he really didn't want to work on the car. I think he is afraid of them and keeps calling them junk.:flamed: I should be able to replace belts and relays and maybe brake pads. I also know I am going to have to learn as I go. The more I think about it, the more I am inclined to buy one from DMC, that way I know it has been gone over by an expert. I'm really just confusing myself...:thinkin:

Talking it out or writing it down is a good way to help yourself figure it out. It can be confusing making sense of it all, but you're going in the right direction with what you wrote here.

If you can do the basic stuff like oil changes and perhaps belt replacement, relays and brake pads, you are certainly ahead of a number of current owners right there. Not everyone out there is some technical DIY guru and you don't need to be. If you can handle those things you listed, there are a lot of other little similar things that you'd have fun with. And you said you know you'll have to learn as you go. That's a great thing to realize right there.

Your step father-in-law may just need an education on the cars. It's not that uncommon for people to think that. Maybe take it as an opportunity to go looking for a local owner and bring him with you. Many people seem to have an opinion on something they've no experience with themselves and all it takes is a little time to understand them. At the end of the day, it's just a car. Four wheels and a seat as Neil Page would say :) If you get to a point where you need a door adjustment or stainless repair, then seek out a DMC guy. But most everything else is just brakes, suspension, spark plugs, etc. like every other car.

The old guy and his car that hasn't started since '82 would be a good one to avoid even if it is close. With what you've described, that's not a good fit for you. The mention of the DMC car though might be a much better idea. You know your budget better than anyone and spending it on Day One for a car that you expect has as many issues resolved as reasonable is a better idea than saving some money on the purchase price with a mystery car and keeping that money in your "surprise repairs" jar.

OverlandMan
02-17-2014, 11:46 AM

If you can do the maintenance jobs you described above, you'll be fine.

Your step-father's attitude is one of ignorance. Not that uncommon from folks who don't know anything about the car or worse, those who think they know about the car but really don't. Like Jonathan said, at the end of the day it is just another car.

You should give Josh at DPI a call. He's only about 3.5 hours North of you. The closest DMC location to you is probably DMCMW outside of Chicago. These vendors would likely be able to assist you in finding a nice example of what you're looking for.

You're also not all that far from DCS in Dayton, OH this summer. I'd recommend checking that out as well.

cyberflexx
02-17-2014, 02:28 PM
A couple days ago I sent Josh at DPI a message on this forum here asking if they sell cars or anything and told him I was a prospective new owner but I never received a reply. A couple weeks ago, I called DMCF and talked to a salesperson, then later that evening Toni the president called me at my home and we talked for a good 30 min. and he emailed me some information. I am going to try to go to DCS in Dayton this year. It's about 4 hours away. I did buy one of the raffle tickets as I did last year. What day and time is the actual car show?

Jonathan
02-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Hey Jim,

I definitely don't know your neighborhood as well as you do, but the 2013 version of the Owners Directory I was just looking through shows 5 cars in WV and another 5 in KY. It's not my place to give you their names or numbers so I'll let them contact you. Anyone in the directory could give one of these guys your name and number as someone who wants to learn and chat though. The closest one I see is an hour away in Charleston and a couple more two hours away in either Lexington or Parkersburg. All of these directory entries indicate they are open to coffee, chatting, and some offering technical help and or tools available. None of them are flagged as being "contact in an emergency only." I wouldn't go all creepers on them, but explaining who you are and why you want to learn or see their car and I'd be surprised if you weren't in touch pretty quickly or even standing in their garage.

Rich_NYS
02-17-2014, 03:25 PM
My story was similar to yours, so I'm highly familiar with the thought process from the same perpective.

This past November I decided I would buy a DeLorean this upcoming summer and wasn't at all familiar with the car other than liking it and wanting one. I wanted to learn as much as possible, to make as well-informed decision as possible so I started reading the forums & paying attention. Two weeks later, a friend sent me a pic of one for sale nearby. I wasn't yet educated enough, but I'd get to see one firsthand and continue the learning process.

It ended up being a good opportunity, so I moved forward w/a ton of help from some of the same guys here on this thread, as well as a few others. A few of the guys exchanged messages with me almost daily and I bought the car as a direct result of their generous sharing of time & knowledge.

Moral of the story: If this car hadn't popped up, I would've looked & learned as much as possible and continued to plan for a purchase this summer. It sounds like you're within a few hours drive of seeing some cars firsthand.....that definitely puts you in a position of advantage, I would've jumped at that opportunity if I had it.

Just wanted to throw in my .02 in the spirit of sharing as I so generously received.

rothsean
02-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the tips.. I wont be able to look at that car or any that are not local. Which ever one I go with, I'll have to rely on pictures and videos. I do not know anyone with a Delorean that is local to me, in Huntington, WV. I really don't want a problem car as I am not really all that mechanically inclined. Whatever car I go with, it will have to be ready to go with no issues as I wont be able to do any major repairs.

I may skip this one, I'll have to think about it for a few days.

Thanks again!..

-Jim

Jim,

I will tell you what I tell my friends and my dad when they all told me they want a classic car. You have to have money to pay a good mechanic or the willingness to learn to do the work yourself. If you don't have one of those items then you should stick with a newer car under warranty or just go to car shows as a spectator.

I say this with pure honesty even though this may come across on a typed, computer, web forum as me being a jerk. I don't intend that......

I had a similar idea as you when I got my D in 2012. It had issues but I got it running great and looking very good, with the help of this forum and a local folks for some advice. Now, two years later, I can basically diagnose any issue with any gas car and fix it, on my own.

My point is, just because you think that you are not mechanically inclined does not mean that you are not. I would have said the same thing, which I think I actually did say it.

My desire to learn the hobby and save the money overrode my thought that I could not do it. Learning the hobby actually was my main factor over money, plus I found that I do better work than most of the mechanics that I would take it to simply because I care about what I am doing and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Now I look forward to the days when I can work all day in the garage, it is therapy for me, and lots of fun!

Good luck!

Sean

Jonathan
02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Jim,

I will tell you what I tell my friends and my dad when they all told me they want a classic car. You have to have money to pay a good mechanic or the willingness to learn to do the work yourself. If you don't have one of those items then you should stick with a newer car under warranty or just go to car shows as a spectator.

I say this with pure honesty even though this may come across on a typed, computer, web forum as me being a jerk. I don't intend that......

I had a similar idea as you when I got my D in 2012. It had issues but I got it running great and looking very good, with the help of this forum and a local folks for some advice. Now, two years later, I can basically diagnose any issue with any gas car and fix it, on my own.

My point is, just because you think that you are not mechanically inclined does not mean that you are not. I would have said the same thing, which I think I actually did say it.

My desire to learn the hobby and save the money overrode my thought that I could not do it. Learning the hobby actually was my main factor over money, plus I found that I do better work than most of the mechanics that I would take it to simply because I care about what I am doing and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible.

Now I look forward to the days when I can work all day in the garage, it is therapy for me, and lots of fun!

Good luck!

Sean

Perfect, Sean, and good advice. I wouldn't change a single word of what you wrote there.