PDA

View Full Version : Portable Canopy for shows

Lenny
02-19-2014, 10:19 AM
I'm planning on going to Celebration in a couple of months. The last couple have been really hot and to make my wife happy I'm thinking about getting a Portable Canopy for us to sit under. Do any of you guys have one or have any recommendations?

I usually drive so I'd like it to fit behind the seat or in the trunk when folded.

Something like this?

Ikeaboy1
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
No specific recommendation, but please be careful with how you secure whichever portable unit you select. A few years ago I witnessed a freak wind gust cause a pop-up canopy to go airborne and cause several thousand dollars of damage to a beautiful pair of vintage Pontiac GTO's.

Michael
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
+1 on the anchoring. I use one a lot during the summer and you would be surprised what just a small breeze can do with one of these.
I have had a few of these canopies, but the one that I use now is the one I would recommend. Get a Coleman canopy...These have a adjustable vent in the top to allow wind movement which helps with the anchors to keep it stable and allows heat to escape. It's extremely well made, much more so than the Ez-up brand or Magnum canopies. Also it's avaliable at Walmart. Mine is a 12x12 size but you may not need something that big. In fact if you plan to pack it into a Delorean, I'm not sure that even an 8x8 would fit. Walmart does have several to choose from so you could pull measurements of the bag right in the store.

wrkey
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
I think it would be cool to find an original DMC car cover and make a support frame work to support it that is in the general shape of the car.

Now to just find a cover!

Rich
02-19-2014, 02:48 PM
No specific recommendation, but please be careful with how you secure whichever portable unit you select. A few years ago I witnessed a freak wind gust cause a pop-up canopy to go airborne...

+1

Before shopping and packing check with the show organizer. Some of them invoke limits on shading devices for safety and/or aesthetic reasons. The policy can change year to year.

Even if the organizers don't have limits your neighbors on show-day may ask you not to deploy. Or they may wish to be invited in to share your shade!