PDA

View Full Version : Plutonium canister

Bruce Johnson
02-21-2014, 09:03 PM
My son and I are in the process of building a Doc Brown from one of those Gemmy Halloween life-size animated figures for car shows and such. We're using a Dr. Shivers. Doc Brown will by no means be screen accurate but will be a compilation of Doc from different scenes in the movie. We'll be using a bit of latex and some paint for his facial features to try to get a close resemblance. We know it won't be perfect, but we're sure folks will get the idea. His head and mouth will move and he will speak key phrases from the movie, as soon as we figure out a way to repair his broken moving jaw. Because he's a compilation he won't be dressed in his radiation suit, but will be in his Twin Pines Mall coveralls. What we're looking for is a replica plutonium canister that he can hold. It will lite up with LED's when he speaks. If anyone can point us in the right direction where we could purchase one we'd appreciate it.

Here's a teaser:

25612 25613

Thanks,
Bruce and Kyle

hylnder777
02-21-2014, 11:44 PM
My son and I are in the process of building a Doc Brown from one of those Gemmy Halloween life-size animated figures for car shows and such. We're using a Dr. Shivers. Doc Brown will by no means be screen accurate but will be a compilation of Doc from different scenes in the movie. We'll be using a bit of latex and some paint for his facial features to try to get a close resemblance. We know it won't be perfect, but we're sure folks will get the idea. His head and mouth will move and he will speak key phrases from the movie, as soon as we figure out a way to repair his broken moving jaw. Because he's a compilation he won't be dressed in his radiation suit, but will be in his Twin Pines Mall coveralls. What we're looking for is a replica plutonium canister that he can hold. It will lite up with LED's when he speaks. If anyone can point us in the right direction where we could purchase one we'd appreciate it.

Here's a teaser:

25612 25613

Thanks,
Bruce and Kyle
I Love it!!!

Bruce Johnson
05-27-2014, 04:56 PM
I apologize for the crudity of this model but.....he's nearly done, just need to do the latex mask, darken the eyes and a few other odds and ends. He'll say about 10 phrases. The gear noise will be muffled by the mask and foam. Still looking for a plutonium canister or of some guidance as to a source.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGKdedb_tnE

Mark D
05-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Try contacting the A-Car Time Machine Restoration facebook page. I know of several people in that group that have created screen accurate plutonium canisters (with measurements taken from a screen used canister) and also screen accurate ANVIL cases built from correct screen accurate/vintage parts.

Bruce Johnson
05-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the direction.

Bruce

Kane
05-28-2014, 07:28 PM
I hear Libya is a good source for something like that. :)

Mark D
05-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Joe is the guy you want to touch base with on the TMR page.

Bruce Johnson
06-30-2014, 06:42 PM
So, I tried a few paint applications (the head that I used was way too dark) and finally found that some leftover regular 'ol latex house paint did the trick. My wife and I tinted the paint to find a close match in color with acrylic. I still have to work the bugs out to clear up the gear noise in the neck, and to do some light highlighting of the wrinkles ("Look at me, I'm an old man") and a few other things. I'll give the face a light spray of satin clear-coat to tone down the sheen. Still looking for a reasonably priced plutonium canister. If not, I guess I can use a RC unit. Now I know he doesn't look much like Doc Brown....but who does, except Doc Brown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpswzAGDQmM

Bruce Johnson
06-30-2014, 06:44 PM
Doc works via remote control so when at car shows he can surprise viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjEBiWMW14

NightFlyer
07-01-2014, 02:10 AM
That's CRAZY :thumbup:

You're like Conal Cochran (Dan O'Herlihy) from Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) :biggrin:

Coulombe
07-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Bruce Johnson, Great idea! Keep up the nice work. If you have problems cleaning up the electric motor noise, you might try pneumatic's. It will give you a smoother and quite movement. I look forward to seeing your end results.

Bruce Johnson
07-04-2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Bruce, I'm afraid in my case here it's the Disney Imagineers meet The Little Rascals!

Timebender
07-05-2014, 12:23 AM
Maybe you can reach out to these guys and see if you can buy one of their Christopher Lloyd life masks http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRISTOPHER-LLOYD-Life-Mask-BACK-TO-FUTURE-Life-Cast-in-Light-Weight-White-Resin-/251280245004
The one one ebay went for $48 bucks. You could take that, make a resin negative, pour in some latex and make a nice mask for your guy. As far as changing out the motors, you could replace them with small servos that have some padding around them to deaden the sound. There's some great arduino sketches too for sound activation, and random back and forth (for head turning and eyes) too.

Bruce Johnson
07-05-2014, 10:30 PM
That aint me guys. This was just one of those "Hey let's see if we can make one of those things into a Doc Brown" sort of project. Spent some great time with my son. That's what this was all about. He played, I played. We figured stuff out and he made more and more electronic improvements. I gathered materials and my wife did the makeup. When finished Doc will be compacted to a mini-me, buckled in the passenger seat of my D, hauled to car shows, plugged into the cigarette lighter and hopefully wow the crowds.

Bruce Johnson
09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
The countdown is on...just 13 more days to Doc's debut, the 50th anniversary of the Watsonville Fly-in and Car Show. I'm putting on the final touches but his hands are still empty save for a crude copy of his Flux Capacitor drawing. I'm still looking for a plutonium canister.....anyone?

Bruce

Bruce Johnson
10-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Even empty handed Doc was still a big hit with the Delorean and the Back To The Future fans yesterday at the Watsonville Air and Car Show. Was a good trial debut but still need to work out a few of the mechanical kinks and some of the creep factor.