PDA

View Full Version : Note to self, don't take your Delorean to S.D. comic con

yellowmxwheels23
07-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I've mentioned before that I know someone on the board of directors for S.D.comic con and get all access passes from him. I never use use them as it is too crowded down by the convention center during con. I decided to go yesterday because Geek time ( A show on Howard 101 (sirius sat radio)) was broadcasting in hall H. This was something I wanted to check out. Anyways My friends dad gives me a special parking area pass not for the general pub and I figure I might as well drive the D.
The parking area is near a major walkway so as soon as I park the D I get a big group of Avatars, storm troopers, Sean of the dead look a likes,Dark helmet, Barf, sportos,dickheads and dweebies. They all adore me because I'm a fuckin righteous dude. I probably spent a good 40 minutes in the parking lot trying to close the door so I could go in and check out the broadcast that I nearly missed. When I got back to my car the windshield was litered in "Marty" signs or other bttf related quotes. I should have left a pile of certificate of originality papers on the hood.
For future reference, if you go to con, leave your D at home.

DeLorean03
07-23-2011, 02:58 PM
*Disclaimer - this reply is a lot of ribbing and a little bit of "WTF weren't you thinking" - I'm just giving you a hard time. I'm not trying to genuinely piss you off or insult you. Just read it with a grain of salt <3*

-____________- .... Dude really? ComiCon is like - the MECCA - for all things nerdy and geeky.

Most of the DeLorean's owners, audience, and admirers are known for being either "nerdy and geeky" or as the "MacGvyers" of car owners - finding a way to use a half gallon milk jug, a coffee stirring straw, 2 napkins, and a toothpick to somehow limp the car home before we call a towtruck.

People who will spend $100 on a ed hardy/affliction shirt at the mall and are "cooler than you" will totally show their "withdrawn and nerdy" side by shouting your choice of bttf lines: 88mph, back to the future, doc, marty, to the future, roads - where we're going we don't need roads, libyans, etc anytime we drive by as we're going to Publix for a gallon of milk.

Now take the fact that pretty much the biggest comic event of the year was happening. People take weeks planning the event out, getting their costume JUST right, pushing some of the rules to the limits to make their costumes and props as realistic as possible, and "road-mapping" the event floor just to see everything they want and pay up to $100 just to get their picture taken with some of the "stars" there. This show is probably 10x bigger to these comic book/tv show/movie lovers as DCS is to us.

And you thought driving one of the most iconic cars to ever grace the sci-fi/fantasty/time-travel genre and one of the biggest 80's icons imaginable as well as probably one of the top three famous movie cars (to the general audience) - you honestly and truly thought you wouldn't get swamped? Dude, you practically BEGGED for it. You driving a DeLorean to ComiCon is as if William Shatner or Patrick Stewart went to a Star Trek convention and being shocked everyone wants to talk to them.

Honestly, I hope you had fun and enjoyed it. Those people prolly would have bought you lunch if you asked just so they could talk to you and ask all sorts of questions.

yellowmxwheels23
07-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Lol, I get what your saying, I knew it would happen but I didn't think it would be like that. I mean it was waves of people. I think I got shutter cramp in my finger from all of the pics I took. I did get some pics of the BTTF3 car last week before it got to the convention center.
It really didn't bug me because I am used to it. Overall it was fun but when your in a hurry your in a hurry and I didn't want to be a dick to the people.

DeLorean03
07-23-2011, 03:19 PM
I hear ya bud (: . That is something I've been working on and getting better about it too. Good job on having fun with them. You made their day - I guarantee it.

Kenny_Z
07-23-2011, 10:17 PM
As I was wishing that I could go to ComicCon one day (I doubt I could do the crowds, I have a bit of crowd phobia) I began thinking what would happen if a D showed up. Now I have my answer and it was exactly what I expected to hear.

I'm glad to hear that you indulged those people. There are going to be tons of pictures of your car online with people posing in front of it. Just be glad those people are generally respectful of other's property and of what that car means to the world. It is a part of our history and a collectible. Geeks and nerds understand collectibles ;)

Now I see why one of my coworkers has been begging me to drive to Dragoncon with him in the D. Hmm...hordes of geek girls...fawning over Red and by proxy, me...it is tempting...

dvonk
07-23-2011, 11:41 PM
http://smashermedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/nerdy-girls.jpg

Farrar
07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
They all adore me because I'm a fuckin righteous dude.

I didn't want to be a dick to the people.

Wow. Modesty really is a lost art.

Farrar

Michael
07-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Driving a Delorean to the SDCC is like wearing a steak necklace to Ethiopia

yellowmxwheels23
07-24-2011, 03:39 AM
Originally Posted by yellowmxwheels23
They all adore me because I'm a fuckin righteous dude.
Originally Posted by yellowmxwheels23
I didn't want to be a dick to the people.

Farrar

Farrar

I thought when I said "The dweebies, dickheads, etc." and followed it up with the righteous dude line people would have got it.

DL4567
07-24-2011, 05:13 AM
Apparently Farrar needs to watch Ferris Bueller.

sean
07-24-2011, 07:30 AM

That or he is remembering that epic ego thread Yellow created about D owners on .com.

jmettee
07-24-2011, 08:12 AM
That or he is remembering that epic ego thread Yellow created about D owners on .com.

LOL...that's what I was thinking when I read it! :frantic:

Jonathan
07-24-2011, 10:23 AM

+1 You beat me to it Sean. If there was one good thing about losing all our .com threads, it was that that one was erased (from existance!) Let's not recreate it here. Everyone got over the ugliness so we're all good. Heck, maybe SuperMatty and Kathryn are up for some chit chat? ;)

sean
07-24-2011, 10:59 AM
SuperMatty and Kathryn are up for some chit chat? ;)

I think Martty is to busy running errands for his 20 figure supermodel sugarmomma.

DL4567
07-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Oh ok. Guess I never saw that.

Apparently I need to watch "that ego thread."

DeLorean03
07-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Oh ok. Guess I never saw that.

Apparently I need to watch "that ego thread."

I seem to remmeber this thread in question...something about him having a super-hot woman and he made plenty of $$ or something...Typical wanker behavior.

A successful man doesn't have to boast his status. Accomplishments - yes. Status and his "toys" for all to see - no.

nullset
07-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Now I see why one of my coworkers has been begging me to drive to Dragoncon with him in the D. Hmm...hordes of geek girls...fawning over Red and by proxy, me...it is tempting...

I drove my car around last year. It was fun :)

This year, I'll be driving the time machine car (2930), assuming I finish putting it together in time…..

I might drive one around thursday night, then park it, and then drive the other in the parade. Maybe I can really confuse the crowd…..

--buddy
PS: Anyone bringing a D to dragoncon is welcome to park in my condo, less than a mile from the con. It's not gated, but it's a generally safe neighbrohood.

Ashyukun
07-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Half the reason I drove mine out East for this business trip was that I'm going to Otakon in the middle of it (this weekend) and I know my friends there will get a big kick out of it.

And I imagine if I can get permission to park it front of the BCC for a while I'll shortly have a TON of great pictures of the cosplayers and the car... However it helps being staff and probably being able to snag some security staffers to help out and keep things in line... :thumbup2:

tyb323
07-25-2011, 11:12 PM

Farrar needs to get back from 1756 first.

Farrar
07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Farrar needs to get back from 1756 first.

Ah, so you've been listening to my radio show?

Farrar