PDA

View Full Version : How To: Mazda Miata Engine Cover Latch

sdg3205
02-27-2014, 02:17 AM
If you've tried to locate and lower engine cover latch for your Delorean by now you've realized their made of unobtabium (nla).

After a tip that an NA style miata trunk latch would work, I tried it out. Sure enough, it fits. With a little modifications it works perfectly.

Here's what I did.

1. Obtain a used NA miata trunk latch. I paid $25.

2. Have nuts, bolts, lock washers and 8 spacer washers ready. These are used to mount and adjust the fore-aft location of the latch. This latch will sit closer to the closing panel by default.

3. A small spring and 3-4" metal bracket. The miata latch doesn't have sufficient spring power to retract the cable and lever to rest position, so you'll need to fabricate another spring.

4. Picture hanging wire. Use this to lengthen your OEM cable to the miata latch it need be. It's very strong and wraps well and snugly.

5. An m5 nut bolt and washer to affix to the miata latch. The Delorean cable will not fit directly on the latch, so use this in conjunction with the picture wire to engage the latch by the cable.

6. With the latch in hand and the cable out the LH tail light hole, put the m5 nut through the hole in the latch lever from the inside facing out. You may want to use a dremel to grind off the bolt if it's too long.

7. Wrap picture wire around the bolt and attach one end of the spring to the bolt such that the spring is parallel to the ground pointing to the RH side. Place the washer over top, affix the nut and tighten well.

8. Wrap the other end of the picture wire to the OEM cable end, leaving some play.

9. Set aside.

10. The latch will sit lower than the stock Delorean unit. Drill or dremel the mounting holes in the closing panel so they are now 1/2" lower. 1/4" may be sufficient.

11. Bend your 4" metal bracket slightly in an "s" or in such a way that it will tilt to the rear of the car when it's mounted off the RH side of the latch.

12. Drill 2 holes in the bracket: 1 to fit on the RH mounting bolt for the latch, the 2nd to mount the free side of the spring on.

13. Attach the free side of the spring to the bracket hole you drilled and crimp it so it stays in place.

14. Move the entire assembly into the bumper and line up the holes.

15. Place 1 large washer on the outside, 2 large washer in between the fibreglass and the latch, plus one more washer and lock washer just before the nut. The spacer washers are critical because your new spring will need clearance from the fibreglass.

16. The RH bolt will also mount your spring bracket.

17. The cable adjustment sheath may or may not fit in the original location. You may need to move it left to where the metal plate rests. You will definitely need to move it as low as possible.

18. Perform adjustment procedures to remove free play and ensure the latch it catching the engine cover properly.

19. You'll notice the miata latch has a mount for the miata type cable. This can catch and interfere with the Delorean system. I just bent it out of the way with vice grips.

20. Test open, closing and release. You may need to rely more on the height of the engine cover via the left and right bump stops to get the cover to pop up.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/ne5udydy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/7uha7ujy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/27/y6a4avuz.jpg

Jeff K
02-27-2014, 12:55 PM
unobtabium - that's funny!

Interesting, as I was taking off my rear bumper, I though the latch looked like my Miata's hood latch for a sec.

Great write up, thanks!
Jeff