PDA

View Full Version : The Bucking Delorean opening in San Diego Friday 3/14

yellowmxwheels23
03-09-2014, 01:45 AM
I hadn't brought this up before just in case he changed the name but my Girlfriends Brother is opening a restaurant and calling it "The Bucking Delorean".
It's in Lakeside which is in the east county of San Diego.
It's across the street from the rodeo and he loves Deloreans. I told him it's not a good name but it his restaurant. He had some pretty cool custom made pieces made up for the bar. (rear fascia beer tap, rear fascia in wall with smoke machine hooked up to exhaust pipes)
He asked me to bring my car for the ribbon cutting. He said if anyone wants to bring their cars you will eat and drink for free. (no cap)
PM if you are interested in attending and I will give you the details.
5pm Friday 3/14

yellowmxwheels23
03-10-2014, 11:19 PM
http://buckingdelorian.com
He didn't use the traditional spelling because he didn't want any legal trouble.

yellowmxwheels23
03-11-2014, 01:37 AM
Here's the facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bucking-Delorian/547645712009363

Dangermouse
03-11-2014, 08:35 AM
http://buckingdelorian.com
He didn't use the traditional spelling because he didn't want any legal trouble.

Well that's just great! Now he will expand into a mega successful international chain of restaurants and soon people will be telling me that the name on my car is spelt wrong. :tongue_stick:

Seriously, I would have though, using the name would have been OK. If DPI can use it in a directly competing business, then surely a non-competing restaurant would be fine.

David T
03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Well that's just great! Now he will expand into a mega successful international chain of restaurants and soon people will be telling me that the name on my car is spelt wrong. :tongue_stick:

Seriously, I would have though, using the name would have been OK. If DPI can use it in a directly competing business, then surely a non-competing restaurant would be fine.

I don't know about that. Sally Delorean may want a piece of the action if they used the name without her permission!

Timebender
03-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a fun place.

yellowmxwheels23
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM

I told him the same but he has this attorney that scared the s^!t out of him about using the name.

Kane
03-11-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree. He should have looked into legally using the name. It irritates me more that it should.

Jimmyvonviggle
03-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Nice logo design for the restaurant.

thirdmanj
03-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Two things to remember:
1.) Go in and order a Pepsi.
2.) If your server is guy named Griff just say NO!

NightFlyer
03-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Food looks delicious and very reasonably priced! Wish I had one near me :thumbup:

dmcerik
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
The name is frustrating. Isn't there a band by the name of Delorean? And DPI has Delorean in it. Just seems like he should have either used the name "Delorean" or called is something else. Call it the Bucking Gullwing. "Delorian" just looks like someone misspelled "Delorean".

Timebender
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Or he could have named it after the saloon in BTTF3.. Though I don't think that had a name.

And "Bucking Delorian" sounds like something you'd say when your car breaks down - "BUCKING Delorean!!!" Or what happens when you get a misfire, or let the clutch out too fast...

Mark D
03-11-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah that restaurant name is kind of a fail. I don't think anyone can claim copywright to a last name anyway... It would be like if my last name was Smith and some other dude sued me for opening "Smith's Pub". As long as he didn't call it The Bucking DeLorean Motor Company Ltd. or use any trademarks or logos that are currently active I think he'd be ok.

Kane
03-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Yeah that restaurant name is kind of a fail. I don't think anyone can claim copywright to a last name anyway... It would be like if my last name was Smith and some other dude sued me for opening "Smith's Pub". As long as he didn't call it The Bucking DeLorean Motor Company Ltd. or use any trademarks or logos that are currently active I think he'd be ok.

Just because it is a last name doesn't mean it's fair game for all references. The estate could demonstrate that the name was chosen because of John DeLorean, therefore it directly impacts the estate. They could argue that it was profiting of John DeLorean's name and so they should get a percentage of the profits.

The US Legal system has many cases as precedence on how names of public figures can be used. Just try to open a strip club called "George's Bush" and see how fast the lawyers show up.

That being said, I think it would have been worth it to clear the use of the name with the appropriate parties.

Spittybug
03-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Just try to open a strip club called "George's Bush" and see how fast the lawyers show up.

I'd prefer "Georgias Bush"...............

yellowmxwheels23
03-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Couple pics I took today while going over plans. I'm trying to score a Family guy pinball machine out of the deal too. They don't plan on using it in the bar and it's been put out back by the mechanical bull.