PDA

View Full Version : General Cargo net info/pic request

Rich_NYS
03-17-2014, 08:58 PM
I replaced the bungee (shock cord) on my cargo net but wasn't able to first determine exactly where the four "corners" are when properly in place (top edge of hooks or on the side edge...etc.)

The net is connected to the bungee in four places near the corners; I'd like to get it lined up exactly and with the right tension on the bungee before attaching the net to the bungee.

Any pics or info is much appreciated...thanks!

Rich
03-18-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure this answers your question....can you clarify in case it does not?

The "long" net hooks are outboard and the "short" ones are inboard on the trim panel. This results in the same clearance for bungee hanging when you put the net up. The hooks are open upward.

Michael
03-18-2014, 10:19 PM
The corners are a bit tough to find and you have to catch the net weave in just the right place. I personally think the net serves no purpose whatsoever other than it looks nice. If you were to actually use it, then it would stretch itself into a warped deformed mess....so I never put anything back there that would stretch it.

Rich_NYS
03-18-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure this answers your question....can you clarify in case it does not?

The "long" net hooks are outboard and the "short" ones are inboard on the trim panel. This results in the same clearance for bungee hanging when you put the net up. The hooks are open upward.

Thanks Rich,

The pic might help...I'm trying to figure out where exactly the net is attached to the bungee. On mine, it was connected (kinda sewn or "lashed") in the area of the 4 corners. Looking at your pic, I'm not sure if I see it.

Are you able to find the spots where the bungee doesn't pass freely through the net, but is actually attached to it?

I wonder if they aren't all like that, but I do think it's what helps to keep the net neatly "distributed" when on the hooks .... :hmm:

Rich_NYS
03-18-2014, 10:35 PM
The corners are a bit tough to find and you have to catch the net weave in just the right place. I personally think the net serves no purpose whatsoever other than it looks nice. If you were to actually use it, then it would stretch itself into a warped deformed mess....so I never put anything back there that would stretch it.

I think I see what I'm talking about here on the driver's side of the pics. On the "side" of the cargo net by the hook looks like the net is attached to the bungee cord....

Michael
03-18-2014, 10:46 PM
I think I see what I'm talking about here on the driver's side of the pics. On the "side" of the cargo net by the hook looks like the net is attached to the bungee cord....

The net is woven onto the perimeter bungee cord but it "rolls" around the bungee cord right at the corner so you have to get it just right on the hook so it will not look deformed. I saw a thread where a member refreshed his net by replacing the cord so if yours is stretched too much you can look into that.

Rich
03-19-2014, 12:57 AM
I can't speak for what might be on other D's, net-bungee-wise.

Can report that on our early-VIN car the OE bungee is in no way sewn or bonded to the OE net at any corners or anywhere else along its run except at both ends.

There is no sign in our case that the two items were ever intended to be attached to each other.

The bungee is interwoven within the netting and it is free to move side-to-side relative to the net. One grabs the bungee at a convenient gap in the netting and hangs it on a hook. Whatever part of the net seems to be the corner is then "the corner" at that moment. Easy to pick a different gap in the net if it looks goofy after the first try.

It works OK like that.

Rich_NYS
03-19-2014, 08:11 AM

Can report that on our early-VIN car the OE bungee is in no way sewn or bonded to the OE net at any corners or anywhere else along its run except at both ends.

There is no sign in our case that the two items were ever intended to be attached to each other.

The bungee is interwoven within the netting and it is free to move side-to-side relative to the net. One grabs the bungee at a convenient gap in the netting and hangs it on a hook. Whatever part of the net seems to be the corner is then "the corner" at that moment. Easy to pick a different gap in the net if it looks goofy after the first try.

It works OK like that.

Thanks Rich,

It sounds like they aren't all the same. I don't know for sure if mine is OE, but it was pretty rough & 30 year old-looking before I replaced the bungee, so I think it could be.

I'll get it lined up to where I think it looks best.....

Rich_NYS
04-20-2014, 12:00 PM

It works OK like that.

Thanks Rich,

It sounds like they aren't all the same. I don't know for sure if mine is OE, but it was pretty rough & 30 year old-looking before I replaced the bungee, so I think it could be.

I'll get it lined up to where I think it looks best.....

I found a pic from when I first test drove the car, it's poor-quality but you can see just below the corner where the net is attached to the bungee cord. It looked to me to be original factory work, and I had to cut it free to replace the bungee cord. I'm going to try & forego re-connecting the net to the bungee....just wanted to share the pic.