PDA

View Full Version : A nifty EFI solution

Timebender
03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
If you want something that's LIKE a carb setup, but WANT EFI, check this out.

http://www.msdignition.com/products/atomic/

A co-worker came by and showed this to me. Pretty slick. The system learns how you drive and does the setup on it's own (similar to Nest), which I'm guessing you can modify afterwards.

Flicky
03-27-2014, 11:17 PM
I was just thinking that the other day when I was reading the k-jet-ectomy article. I was thinking about using Holley projection system. This throttle body is cool looking, sorta like a dominator.

I think it would be bad ass to put dual Predator carbs on a high rise with like 8 inch velocity stacks, all gold plated of coarse.

Where do you actually source the manifold? I see reference to "European maker", but no idea where you get them. Is there also a plate adapter made in the US?

zimvsdib
11-15-2014, 03:04 PM
any new updates with this?

Has anyone tried this out yet?

Nicholas R
11-15-2014, 04:22 PM
There is a Car Fix episode where they installed one of these on a car. Took maybe a couple of hours and was done. Looks really neat.

Farrar
11-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't a 4-barrel carburetor dump too much fuel into a PRV? Most carb conversions that I have seen involve a 2-barrel carburetor of some kind.

Andrew
11-16-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm running a Peugeot 604 manifold and carb system on 5052. The Peugeot system uses a 3 bbl setup. The single is the primary carb with a vacuum 2 bbl secondary setup. The system delivers nice performance on an otherwise stock PRV.

Carbed Peugeot 604's are pretty rare in the US. They didn't import that many to start with and most of those are long gone.

I'm certainly no expert in carbs, but from my basic knowledge, I can say that it comes down to CFM capacity. Too many cfms from either a 4 bbl or a 2 bbl will cause issues.

Also some of the Renault Alpines used either a triple 2 bbl or a dual 3 bbl setup on a PRV.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Farrar
11-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Fascinating. Thanks for that, Andrew. I didn't think 4-barrel carbs got small enough to use on our little engines. :)

DMCMW Dave
11-16-2014, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't a 4-barrel carburetor dump too much fuel into a PRV? Most carb conversions that I have seen involve a 2-barrel carburetor of some kind.

That isn't a carb, it's a throttle body fuel injector.

Farrar
11-16-2014, 10:19 AM
That isn't a carb, it's a throttle body fuel injector.

This is true, but the website says that their TBI system is designed to replace 4-barrel carb setups.

DMCMW Dave
11-16-2014, 10:25 AM
This is true, but the website says that their TBI system is designed to replace 4-barrel carb setups.

EFI is much more adjustable than a carb setup. Yes, it's probably too big but it won't flood an engine on full throttle like a 4 barrel carb would. It will probably open up so far that vacuum goes too low, but that a designer could likely accommodate that with adjustments or even a restrictor of some sort.

Farrar
11-16-2014, 10:05 PM
a restrictor of some sort.

Ah, like NASCAR! :driving1:

Josh
11-16-2014, 11:58 PM
I dont think plunking one of these on a prv would give you the end result you are looking for. There would be some modifying needed to make it work with our engines which takes away from the ease of install.

and for the price of the kit you could install a megasquirt setup 2 times over and pay someone to tune it for you.

Timebender
01-18-2015, 06:20 PM
So, the DeLorean I'm getting this week happens to have C350 engine with a 4 barrel carb... I think I'm going to give this company a call and see if they'd be interested in a conversion.

Josh
01-18-2015, 09:06 PM
So, the DeLorean I'm getting this week happens to have C350 engine with a 4 barrel carb... I think I'm going to give this company a call and see if they'd be interested in a conversion.

Please post pics?

Timebender
01-18-2015, 09:57 PM
This is it right now at the current owners house.

Josh
01-19-2015, 02:16 AM
interesting swap... Looks like a 351 cleveland

AugustneverEnds
01-19-2015, 02:30 AM
What kind of lowering set-up is this car running? Seems very low. I speak from experience that while it looks cool that way, it can be a major hassle and occasionally a hazard when driving (at least on POS condition roads)

SS Spoiler
01-19-2015, 08:11 AM
Motor mounts look scary

BABIS
01-19-2015, 08:34 AM
Motor mounts look scary

my same thought! and the lower part of the engine frame looks deformed but I don't know if it's just the pic..

Bitsyncmaster
01-19-2015, 08:36 AM
Motor mounts look scary

That's a typical type of motor mound used on aircraft engines.

Josh
01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
What kind of lowering set-up is this car running? Seems very low. I speak from experience that while it looks cool that way, it can be a major hassle and occasionally a hazard when driving (at least on POS condition roads)

It could very well be stock springs. That big iron block is adding around 200lbs more than stock behind the rear wheels.

Timebender
01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
The front has been lowered but the back is like that because of the engine. It drives and rides pretty nice, even on some roads we went on that were not the best.
As far as the engine, it's a Chevy block - looks like the 350 in my son's 70 Camaro. The mounts may look scary but they're extremely solid. Not much information on the guy who was the PO and did the swap, but supposedly he did a lot of car shows with it - both doors have the "Designed by Lotus" badges right above the handles - kinda sucky being there and I'd rather have one mounted more discreetly. Also if you notice the PO put little metal squares glued onto the rear facia where each square is to make it more shiny or something. Getting it for a pretty decent price so not too concerned with little things that need to be done.

Timebender
01-19-2015, 01:15 PM
Some shots of the interior as well as the huge radiator that was put in. I plan on making a fiberglass cover for that that matches the inside of the trunk area.

Timeless
12-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Anyone attempt this or another brand system?