PDA

View Full Version : 2930 workday(s) at Freeside, 7/25/2011-8/31/2011

nullset
07-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll be here every night for the next week, and Saturday from 10am onwards. I'll be reinstalling the engine and transmission this weekend, so if anyone would like to help, that'd be a good day to come.

I can use an extra pair of hands and motivation any day. Visitors who help me out will certainly get lunch and/or booze provided.

Sean, I'd like to shoot for a body/frame reunification tech session day one of the next few weekends. Are you free to help facilitate? I'd feel a lot better about it if you were around!

--buddy

sean
07-26-2011, 07:37 AM
The next two weekends are no good for me. Not sure about there after.

sean
07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
So can anyone make a day?

nullset
07-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Things I learned today: Don't try to torque the driver's side hub bolt when the angle drive isn't there….because that's what holds it in on the back side.

Fortunately I didn't break anything…..

Tomorrow the gas tank and radiator go back in, then I'll start running the lines toward the engine bay. If the parts get here, I'll be mating the engine and transmission.

sean
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Things I learned today: Don't try to torque the driver's side hub bolt when the angle drive isn't there….because that's what holds it in on the back side.

Yeah, it works that way. Ya need to post some progress pics.

nullset
08-01-2011, 08:43 PM
The fuel tank, closing plate, radiator, and cooling lines in the front are now back in. Progress!

Reinstalling the closing plate was a pain in the ass. I ended up using a transmission jack to jack the gas tank into position (I couldn't get it in from the top, I don't know if it's possible or not), then using some big wood clamps to raise the closing plate up on all 4 sides and screwed it in.

I'll be here every night this week. If you want to come by, PM me.

sean
08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Did you reuse or replace the tank pads? You are doing a great job got any updated pics?

nullset
08-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I replaced it.

I don't like the replacements though. The adhesive just doesn't want to stick. I did my best to get them in there. I'm pretty sure it's nicely secured. I may be missing a piece of padding or two.

Result: Do not buy DMCH's fuel tank padding kit. The adhesive is crap. If you buy it, I'd plan on using some other glue to hold the padding on.

I did thoroughly clean it before attempting to apply the adhesive.

--buddy

sean
08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
The adhesive is crap. If you buy it, I'd plan on using some other glue to hold the padding on.--buddy

Yeah, I probably would have gone with some 3M contact adhesive.