PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP High Amp SPST Relays

Ron
04-08-2014, 06:22 PM
I ran across these looking for an air intake heater relay replacement, $362.99 from a dealer. Basically, it has two 80 Amp SPST relays in it. I found them at Autozone $178.00 ea, but the kind salesman told me they are $80.00 on the net. I found this:

$5.95 (http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/A3M1ASQ12VDC2RRELAYDC12VSPST80AMP.ASPX)

Spittybug
04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Damn you people that don't take the professionals at their word!!!! How dare you show initiative and find better deals yourself! Heretic.

Bitsyncmaster
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM
That relay would also work for our AUX and RUN main relays if you can glue a mounting tab on them.

Dangermouse
04-11-2014, 11:20 AM
I'm a bit slow today Ron. The relay in your link just looks like a standard single coil relay. I don't understand the "two-relays-in-one" comment, nor your price quotes of $362

The DMC one is $18.75, so it's still a good deal

http://store.delorean.com/p-7210-relay-heavy-duty.aspx

Ron
04-11-2014, 06:51 PM
Sorry about the confusion...
It is a standard single coil relay except it will handle A LOT more amperage, 80 Amp@12V.
he DMC one has one more terminal (which passes current when relay is not triggered) and would smoke if you even thought about putting 80 Amps through it ;-)
The air intake heater relay is in an assembly that has twin 80 Amp relays (one ea for air heater, glow plug) and 3 large terminal posts, that's it, $362. WTH! AutoZone will sell you one relay for $178.

I was thinking about several members wanting a way to run amplifiers, different headlight bulbs, fog horns lol, etc...

Bitsyncmaster
04-11-2014, 07:58 PM
Sorry about the confusion...
It is a standard single coil relay except it will handle A LOT more amperage, 80 Amp@12V.
he DMC one has one more terminal (which passes current when relay is not triggered) and would smoke if you even thought about putting 80 Amps through it ;-)
The air intake heater relay is in an assembly that has twin 80 Amp relays (one ea for air heater, glow plug) and 3 large terminal posts, that's it, $362. WTH! AutoZone will sell you one relay for $178.

I was thinking about several members wanting a way to run amplifiers, different headlight bulbs, fog horns lol, etc...

Actually our AUX (the large ones mounted under the plate) are only 4 terminal relays with those extra large terminals for the source and load. I thought they were 70 amp rated.

Not sure of the voltage rating for the contacts since your probably using 120 or 240 volt AC

Ron
04-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Actually our AUX (the large ones mounted under the plate) are only 4 terminal relays with those extra large terminals for the source and load. I thought they were 70 amp rated.

Not sure of the voltage rating for the contacts since your probably using 120 or 240 volt AC
I'm not sure of the The Aux Relay's amp rating, but the terminals are arranged differently anyway (sockets are cheap, but I'd stay stock on that myself).

No, I'm using 12V DC...it's a Chevy Duramax diesel. 80A@120V would run my emergency generator ;-)