PDA

View Full Version : How To: Set The Center Console Clock

vps3922
04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
I was looking for a post that would explain how to set the center console clock or a '81 manual. The only one I found was a '82 manual, which does not have anything about the center console clock (because DMC removed it due to the new radio having a clock build in).

My clock is kind of working: it lights up and shows the time. Not my local time though. I would like to set it. I attempted it once but nothing happened when I pushed the little set-up buttons.

Anybody out there who can point me into the correct direction?

Thanks so much!

DavidProehl
04-09-2014, 06:18 PM
If your buttons are working, you just hold down the hour button for 2-3 seconds and then it will start cycling through each hour. Same for the minute button.

I know for some their buttons don't work and the only way to set the time is to wait until noon or midnight to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

vps3922
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
If your buttons are working, you just hold down the hour button for 2-3 seconds and then it will start cycling through each hour. Same for the minute button.

I know for some their buttons don't work and the only way to set the time is to wait until noon or midnight to disconnect and reconnect the battery.

Thank you! I will try it tonight.

NightFlyer
04-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Or you can just pull and re-seat fuse 17 at noon or midnight.

mluder
04-09-2014, 06:57 PM
The time adjust buttons are a two piece affair. Part one that you see on the face of the clock is a plastic cylinder that moves inside a hole in the plastic cover. Part two is the button itself which is on the clock's circuit board. Sometimes part one can get slightly off track so that when you push it from the outside it doesn't engage the button inside. If you're daring enough, you can take apart the top of the center console to access the clock and get everything lined up again.

A word of caution - be careful as the clock is old and consists of a gas filled glass bubble for lack of a better description. If this breaks or gets cracked the clock is done and OEM ones are hard to come by.

Cheers
Steven

Bitsyncmaster
04-09-2014, 07:07 PM
One of the buttons may need to held for up to 60 seconds for it to start incrementing.

wrkey
04-10-2014, 12:11 AM
My original clock still works and keeps great time. However, the left button (hours) is a bit finicky. I have to push in just the right way and wiggle and hold... wiggle and hold.. until the hours start changing.. then just hold it till the hour I want comes up. The minutes button works easy.

I suspect your button is dirty, worn or mis-aligned like mine is. Trial and error. Or.. I have a battery disconnect on my car so I can flip the whole car off at 12 noon or midnight.

Good luck with it! Having a working original clock is cool!

NightFlyer
04-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Having a working original clock is cool!

It is cool :thumbup:

vps3922
04-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Thank you for these great tips! I wasn't able to test it last night. Had to get some work in the house done to "recharge" my Delorean time account with the misses. :wink:

Will try it soon, though.