PDA

View Full Version : DCS 2014 Travel/Caravan

davidrucker11387
04-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Hello, I plan to have 6410 running and drivable by show time and also plan on driving it to the show! I have 3 in my party 2 will be in the D and the 3rd will be driving a Kia Soul that I plan on stocking with what I can in the way of tools, equipment, and any extra parts I may have. I also have AAA which might come in handy. I Live in Chattanooga, TN and will be taking I-75 pretty much straight to Dayton. Is there anyone in the Florida, Georgia, Alabama and East Tennessee areas that would be interested in caravanning? Would love to get a group of Ds together to make the journey and also if any of us have the misfortune of automotive troubles we will be together to help get everyone to the show safely and successfully! I work at a mall just off of I-75 that would be a good meeting spot for anyone near or south of Chattanooga, TN. My contact info is below, best method would be a text message or email on here.

David R. Rucker
VIN: 6410
email: [email protected]
phone: (423) 290-6372

davidrucker11387
04-24-2014, 10:22 AM
Ok this is what I have together so far. Based on feed back from people I feel the best arrival time would be to arrive in Dayton on Thursday around 5pm. This will be early enough for those that have Thursday events scheduled that they will be able to register and be ready for the start of activities at 6:30. (based on times from DCS website) and Knoxville seems to be the location that the most people are referring to.

This would give us a Knoxville departure time between noon and 1230. Travel times between major cities are listed below.

People that have expressed interest are
Dermot
Bikercmbc
dvfr750f
Dick Ryan - (The Rad Dad on DMC Talk)
davidrucker11387 (myself)

Its still fairly early and everyone I am sure is still making travel arrangements and plans. This is all still just a work in progress. I am also planning on attending the SEDOC Tech/Social May 31st I will also speak with people there and see who might be interested as well.

2 hours Lexington to Dayton
3 hours Knoxville to Lexington
5 hours Knoxville to Dayton
2 hours Chattanooga to Knoxville
6 hours Chattanooga to Dayton
2 hours Atlanta to Chattanooga
8 hours Atlanta to Dayton

Times are approximate and gotten off of Google Maps.

DeLoDave, 6410
David R.

Rich W
04-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi David,

You may want to make sure to have a Plan B, depending upon weather and construction zones (both can be bad and add a few hours).

I recall planning to arrive at DCS 2002 at 5pm on Thursday. Our caravan had DeLoreans driving and 3 transport vehicles with trailers.

Heavy rain and construction traffic on I-55 had us arriving in Memphis closer to 8pm. Side Note: Ken K. did refund our dinner costs.

Since then, I have planned my arrival to DCS earlier for each following event (now Wednesday arrivals for DCS 2012 and DCS 2014).

See you all at DCS in Dayton, in about 7 weeks.

Later,
Rich W.

Rich W
05-05-2014, 05:36 PM
You may want to make sure to have a Plan B, depending upon weather and construction zones (both can be bad and add a few hours).

Any news on Interstate construction in or around the Dayton area? As of March, I-75 had significant construction (and delays).

Jeremy Popp
05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Any news on Interstate construction in or around the Dayton area? As of March, I-75 had significant construction (and delays).

I live in the area, and I can actually see I-75 construction outside my office window right now. Construction will finish in 2017, so it's fair to say it will be active mid-June. As far as I know, there are no new lane or exit closures around the Dayton area coming up. If coming from the south, you'll exit right before hitting construction, but coming from the north, I'd expect some slow down, especially during rush hour times.

DeLorean03
05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
I live in the area, and I can actually see I-75 construction outside my office window right now. Construction will finish in 2017, so it's fair to say it will be active mid-June. As far as I know, there are no new lane or exit closures around the Dayton area coming up. If coming from the south, you'll exit right before hitting construction, but coming from the north, I'd expect some slow down, especially during rush hour times.

If you drive through downtown Dayton's portion of the interstate, I feel VERY sorry for you.

Personally, I would find an alternate way before getting too close to downtown Dayton.

davidrucker11387
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM
I'll try to look up a construction schedule and locations next weekend I'm moving this weekend and trying to get the D ready for the move has been hectic.

SS Spoiler
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Towing 2691 via twin cities, Minn. from Montana. Like to caravan with anyone going to DCS.

Paul Cerny #2691
Kalispell, MT

DMCMW Dave
05-08-2014, 12:02 AM
We'll likely be kicking off from DMC Midwest at 9:00AM or so on Thursday morning. Nothing really organized yet, but we'd be glad to travel in a pack. We'll probably be driving the DeLorean with the sliding side doors (AKA Odyssey).

dmc6960
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Hmm, it seems everybody is planning on arrival on Thursday afternoon, just like previous DCSs. I had booked for a Wednesday night arrival this time after the it was mentioned about doing the Air Force museum tour during the day on Thursday. If nobody else is planning to arrive on Wednesday, I may as well adjust my plans as well. Driving to DCS in Florida was boring without any other Ds like every other DCS I've gone to.

Rich W
05-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Hmm, it seems everybody is planning on arrival on Thursday afternoon, just like previous DCSs. I had booked for a Wednesday night arrival this time after the it was mentioned about doing the Air Force museum tour during the day on Thursday. If nobody else is planning to arrive on Wednesday, I may as well adjust my plans as well. Driving to DCS in Florida was boring without any other Ds like every other DCS I've gone to.

Hi Jim,

I will be headed out on Wednesday, transporting the D Rex and a few other DeLoreans. We will be headed out from Central IL rather early
on Wednesday, with an ETA in the Dayton area sometime early afternoon (before rush hour in I-75 construction zone) and before check-in.

Ed R. from the DeLorean Midwest Connection club is also organizing a few caravans from the Chicagoland area and he will coordinate at least
one of them to meet up with Dave Swingle's group on Thursday. Ed R. is coordinating via the DMC Club Twitter account and via his email.

Later,
Rich W.

Josh
05-08-2014, 12:40 PM
We'll likely be kicking off from DMC Midwest at 9:00AM or so on Thursday morning. Nothing really organized yet, but we'd be glad to travel in a pack. We'll probably be driving the DeLorean with the sliding side doors (AKA Odyssey).

Ill be meeting up with you guys! Planning to be in Crystal Lake Wednesday night.

Rich W
05-08-2014, 01:40 PM

Any news on whether or not I-75 South, Exit 52 B will be open next month? My preferred route would be I-75 South, Exit 52 B, to Stewart.
Then take Stewart East to S. Patterson Blvd, then take S. Patterson to River Park Drive, then River Park Drive to second parking lot entrance.

Although the route sounds simple enough, it can get more complicated, really fast, with a big diesel RV and a big, long trailer in tow.

Jeremy Popp
05-08-2014, 02:31 PM
Any news on whether or not I-75 South, Exit 52 B will be open next month? My preferred route would be I-75 South, Exit 52 B, to Stewart.
Then take Stewart East to S. Patterson Blvd, then take S. Patterson to River Park Drive, then River Park Drive to second parking lot entrance.

Although the route sounds simple enough, it can get more complicated, really fast, with a big diesel RV and a big, long trailer in tow.

Stewart Street and Edwin C Moses Blvd Exit will almost certainly be open throughout the project (exits 52B and 51). They closed all the exits into downtown Dayton, so these act as the main exits south of town. If I had to pick one, I'd say exit 51 Edwin C will be open without a doubt since it has on and off ramps both directions. As DCS gets closer, I can always give an update since it's on my way home.

Lenny
05-31-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm leaving Florida Thursday morning will spend the night on the road somewhere and get there Friday. I'm headed back early Sunday morning 5:00 or so.

Jeremy Popp
06-03-2014, 08:41 PM

Dayton Construction UPDATE: Exit 52B (Stewart St) is not available traveling southbound on I-75. The only access is Edwin C Moses, which is Exit 51. There is no stop light at exit 51 when coming southbound, so if you have a trailer, I would recommend making a right turn off the exit, then another right onto Cincinnati , then right onto Stewart. Otherwise you will have to turn left yielding to oncoming traffic, which would prove challenging with a trailer.

Exit 52B (Stewart st) is open however if you are coming from the east or west from St Rt 35.

Northbound I75 should exit at 51 Edwin C Moses, it's an easy right turn at a light.

D Knight
06-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Anyone traveling thurs night through Cleveland that want to caravan?

-D Knight-

D Knight
06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
No one?

-D Knight-