PDA

View Full Version : SpecialTAuto/Gullwing Design AT Govenor

ydjk58
07-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone have this unit? Any pros other than the install process? Any cons? My new AT governor crapped out already, and it did it while I was pulling into traffic, so I may get this one, to replace it, or to just have as a back up

dhaney
07-27-2011, 09:56 PM
Anyone have this unit? Any pros other than the install process? Any cons? My new AT governor crapped out already, and it did it while I was pulling into traffic, so I may get this one, to replace it, or to just have as a back up

I don't have one but am using the board from this unit in my car.

In my opinion this is the best option for your problem. It isn't the only option as DMCH has their version as well. But I watched the designer/inventor of this unit install one on a car at DCS West in Vegas. Took them a little over an hour without having to lift the car or remove the old unit.

Dan

sean
07-27-2011, 10:59 PM

Installed two of them to date with the customers being very happy with the results.

Chris 16409
07-28-2011, 12:11 AM
My new AT governor crapped out already, and it did it while I was pulling into traffic, so I may get this one, to replace it, or to just have as a back up

Did you get one of the new digital units from Houston? I would call them to see if it's still under warranty. The new digital ones are supposed to be more reliable. If you just got your old one rebuilt, then I would believe that it could die so easily. One of my buddies in San Diego has the governor that Hervey sells (he doesn't make them). I like this unit because it includes LEDs so you can see what gear you are currently in.

Farrar
07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I have Jeff Angwin's AT computer and really like it. My installation is slightly different in that I mounted the housing in the ECU compartment behind the driver's seat. Also, Jeff was quite helpful when I had a few questions for him via e-mail during the installation. I give it two thumbs up!

Farrar

Iznodmad
07-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I also have the Jeff unit, very pleased. I can also vouch for his customer service. Instructions are great and straightforward. I called him during the installation for one minor question, and left a voicemail. He called me back within 5 mins, and he was out of the country on vacation to answer my question! Buy the unit, you won't regret it.

sean
07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
I have Jeff Angwin's AT computer

isn't that what Hervey is selling?

Farrar
07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
isn't that what Hervey is selling?

Yep, he's the seller I bought it from. It shipped directly from California, though.

FYI, John Hervey seems to be off the radar at the moment.

Farrar

stevedmc
07-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Yep, he's the seller I bought it from. It shipped directly from California, though.

FYI, John Hervey seems to be off the radar at the moment.

Farrar

I love his new products but this is what stinks about doing business with him. Hopefully he is alright. I emailed him a few days ago and still haven't heard back from him.

ydjk58
08-06-2011, 01:09 AM
So my car went back out to DPI, turns out it wasn't the governor, but rather since we installed a NOS transmission, and since it had been sitting around for 30 years, the pump on it wasn't working, and in turn it caused the spline shaft to snap.

Malevy
08-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Pump was not working?? I thought the trans would not run at all with no oil pressure...

DMCH James
09-17-2011, 04:32 PM
I posted this over at DMCHelp.com, but since this is/was a similar thread, I thought it merits posting here, as well.

James

--------------------------------------

This is as good a time as any to talk about a significant difference in the DMCH digital/microprocessor controlled unit and the Jeff Angwin (Gullwing Designs) unit. A client recently sent his computer governor in as a "core" and was surprised when it was deemed unacceptable. It had been modified for use with the Gullwing Designs unit (per the instructions provided with the unit) and for one reason or another was not working properly and the customer decided to use our unit instead.

The Gullwing Design unit, while not requiring removal of the old computer, does involve a fair amount of surgery to the existing governor wiring harness. Bear in mind that cutting up the harness (a no longer available part) like this effectively makes it worthless as a core should you ever decide to go back to the original configuration (or use our digitally controlled unit). I've attached a copy of the instructions - note that this is advertised as a "plug and play" unit. The instructions advise to mount the new controller box "in the engine compartment" but is not weatherproof and the wire exit holes are not watertight.

The DMCH unit DOES require you to remove your old unit and install a new one, which is pretty clearly outlined in the Workshop Manual on pages G:06:03 and G:06:04. It takes about two hours, and no special tools are required.

The DMCH Unit is $295, plus a core charge for your old unit that is refunded upon it's return. The Gullwing Designs unit is about $350.

------------------

axh174
11-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Just found this thread.

James, this brings up a question that I sometimes wonder about. On the DMCH site it says that the core is required when purchasing the upgraded harness/governor unit, but a cut up harness effectively makes the core worthless. So what are the options for owners whose harness has been destroyed because it melted from the heatshield on the cross-over pipe?

Is it possible to buy the harness without a core in that case?

DMCH James
11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
The core program has been around forever in the car repair/parts industry. Basically, when a part is either no longer being made new (or in danger of that event occurring) then the only way to get a serviceable, "like new", part is to rebuild or refurbish a used part. We sell you a new/rebuilt part plus a "core charge" that is refunded to you upon the return of your rebuildable old part.

For most parts, there is a supply of these used parts which are rebuilt/refurbished and kept on the shelf so that when an order comes in, it can be shipped immediately and then the customer can send their old part back in to to be rebuilt/refurbished to later be sold to someone else, and the process repeats like that.

Using the new digital DMC transmission computer as an example, the "rebuilding" process consists of replacing the internal circuit boards with new circuit boards. In this example, an otherwise "good" core doesn't require anything else.

We have good units here on the shelf that have the new boards installed and are ready to be shipped/installed. So, when we get a core back from someone with melted wires, that screws up the system - someone has received a good, unburned/uncut part and sent back something that can't be made to be equal to what they received. It either requires MORE "refurbishment" or in some cases is unusable. That's why at present we would consider a returned "core" with melted/cut wires to be ineligible as a core. Now the system is short a good core to be rebuilt/refurbished for someone else down the line. We keep the core charge in those instances to compensate for the additional expense we will incur in finding a good, rebuildable unit to replace that bad one in the pool of rebuildable parts.

At some point, it may be that we are forced to repair the wiring on units out of necessity. When that time comes, I can foresee where your core will have a diminishing value. For example, if the core value for an otherwise good, rebuildable unit is $200, then one that also requires wire harness repair/replacement might only be worth $100.

Good question! Let me know if any part of my reply is unclear in any way, or if you have suggestions.

James

Delorean Industries
11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
We ran into this problem about a year ago when we purchased a governor. I didn't even bother sending in the modified unit because the harness was mangled and pulled a good core off the shelf here just assuming this was the case.

It was also noted by Swingle when I purchased one a while back that it is best to have the old one back first so you get the same unit back. Some harnesses are in better shape then others and if you want yours back due to the unit being in good physical condition then send yours first.

I think that is how it is still structured but correct me if I"m wrong on being able to have your exact unit returned.

DMCH James
11-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Absolutely. We'll rebuild your unit if you send it in first. This way you avoid the core charge, too. Note that our online store is set to *always" charge the core on applicable parts, so if you wish to send in your part for rebuilding or avoid the core charge, that needs to be done over the phone.

James

SIMid
11-04-2011, 05:42 AM
What about overseas owners? Mine was replaced by Toby many years ago, but has only travelled 2.5Miles, so she should be still mint.

But if something went wrong, can we overseas owners still be able to purchase a whole governer first, change over the rooted one and mail that back as the core? Downtime for us would take forever if we were to take ours off, mail it, them wait for thr new one and then, figure out how to put it back on.

DMCH James
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
What about overseas owners? Mine was replaced by Toby many years ago, but has only travelled 2.5Miles, so she should be still mint.

But if something went wrong, can we overseas owners still be able to purchase a whole governer first, change over the rooted one and mail that back as the core? Downtime for us would take forever if we were to take ours off, mail it, them wait for thr new one and then, figure out how to put it back on.

Sure! But then you're subject to the standard core rules that I mentioned a couple posts earlier in this thread.

James

SIMid
11-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Sure! But then you're subject to the standard core rules that I mentioned a couple posts earlier in this thread.

James

Excellent, good to know! :)

DMCH James
09-14-2013, 10:10 AM

James

Sorry to revive a "thread from the dead", but there has been a change in this policy in the almost two years since this was originally posted. Late last year we felt that we had no choice but to require that purchasers send in their old unit first to be modified with the new digital microprocessor and then returned to the customer. We typically turn these around in one business day.

http://store.delorean.com/p-8909-auto-trans-computer.aspx

The reasoning behind this is that we were receiving too many burned (from cables touching exhaust piping) or modified (Gullwing Design units) cores back from clients who wished to have our new unit. It got to the point where we had very, very few "good" units left to send people. By sending in your unit first, you get your original part back and no one can complain that they received a partial core value (since they didn't pay a core charge) and neither can they complain that they didn't get back as good of a unit as they sent in since they got their original unit back.

DMCMW Julee
09-14-2013, 01:59 PM
In addition - For those who do have damaged/modified units in need of the upgrade, we have been able to repair or reverse some units and return them to their original owners. There is an extra charge for this repair service (based on tech time for individual units) beyond the price of the upgrade to the new governor electronics.