PDA

View Full Version : Coolant and Intake Temp Sensor Values

Josh
04-23-2014, 06:06 PM
So the time is coming to start the engine for the very first time... Just calibrating sensors right now. I am using the eagle 3.0 Intake and Coolant sensors but as far as I know their temp/resistance values are not known.

does anyone have the values for these sensors? If not how can I find them myself? Im assuming boiling water, room temp, and a freezer all confirmed with a temp gun and ohm meter. But hopefully someone has these values already obtained.

Thanks!

Bitsyncmaster
04-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Boiling water is a good ref. 212 deg F at sea level
You would want to use ice water to get 32 degrees. Your freezer and ice can be much colder.

Dangermouse
04-23-2014, 10:09 PM
You have to watch trying to calibrate anything with a heat gun (IR thermometer) as the reading will vary depending on the material being measured. Just follow Dave's suggestion above and you should be good.

opethmike
04-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Any reason you can't drill/tap to install General Motors sensors? MS natively supports those.

Josh
04-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Any reason you can't drill/tap to install General Motors sensors? MS natively supports those.

I bought new sensors a while ago and don't want to buy new ones. haha. ill just do the boiling and ice water technique as described by dave.

However i just filled my coolant and taking the sensor out of the thermostat housing will result in coolant everywhere. Yay!

Josh
07-02-2014, 05:54 PM
So i found out the hard way just use gm sensors. They are already programed in the software so its all plug and play. For the thermostat housing I used a coolant temp sensor from a Saturn SL-1. It has 1/8NPT threads. i threaded it into a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT reducer and it screwed right into the thermostat housing. Used the same sensor in the intake for my IAT.

opethmike
07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
So i found out the hard way just use gm sensors. They are already programed in the software so its all plug and play. For the thermostat housing I used a coolant temp sensor from a Saturn SL-1. It has 1/8NPT threads. i threaded it into a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT reducer and it screwed right into the thermostat housing. Used the same sensor in the intake for my IAT.

Curious about the 'hard way'?