PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Fluid - types and amounts?

nullset
07-27-2011, 10:03 PM
What kind of fluid should I put in my automatic transmission, and how much? The pan has been dropped and the torque converter drained.

I also drained the final drive oil. What should I use there? How much?

Thanks,

--buddy

Chris 16409
07-27-2011, 10:24 PM
The automatic transmission uses Dextron (Dexron) II type fluid. I believe if the bottle says Dextron III it should be fine, it's just a newer specification. Not sure on the volume of Automatic tranny fluid (4 quarts maybe?).

Now, the final drive uses the same kind of gear oil as the manual transmission. Get an 80 weight gear oil with the API GL5 specification. The manual says the final drive takes 1.5L of oil.

sean
07-27-2011, 11:01 PM
DexIII for the auto box will do ya.

nullset
07-28-2011, 12:27 AM
The automatic transmission uses Dextron (Dexron) II type fluid. I believe if the bottle says Dextron III it should be fine, it's just a newer specification. Not sure on the volume of Automatic tranny fluid (4 quarts maybe?).

Now, the final drive uses the same kind of gear oil as the manual transmission. Get an 80 weight gear oil with the API GL5 specification. The manual says the final drive takes 1.5L of oil.

All I could find was 80W-90. Is this the same thing? Or should I go to a store with a better selection?

--buddy

TTait
07-28-2011, 01:28 AM
A note to those who read this thread in the future - BEFORE you drain the oil from your final drive - remove the fill plug first. If you can't get the fill plug open, you don't want to drain you fluid until you address that problem first.

DMCMW Dave
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
The automatic part (dipstick) takes Dexron III ATF. About 4 quarts for a drain and fill but if you dumped the converter it will be a couple more quarts. It's pretty twitchy about levels, generally we put in 3 and start checking it as it warms up. If its a quart low it will shift strange or even slip. If it is too full it will leak. More than usual.

The differential part takes 80W90 or so common gear oil (about 2 quarts).