PDA

View Full Version : Damnit...

TheDutchTexan
07-28-2011, 02:40 AM
You think you are cured after having your daughter. You think you stay away from DeLorean related websites. You think you'll buy a classic musclecar someday.
Then you watch "Take Me Home Tonight" and get back in the 80's vibe. And there she is, in one scene. One of those damn DeLoreans... WHY! WHY!

Now I am obsessed with wanting to own one again. My wife will never let me, I have no place to park it. And I wouldn't be able to use it for family outings as it only has 2 seats.

Still... I am blasting 80's music from my 05 mustang's speakers when I drive to and from work again. Just imagining how cool it would be to do the very same thing... in a DeLorean...
Perhaps one day... Expect me to fall off the face of the earth again when this phase is over. Although... can I really call it a phase anymore if I keep coming back? :hmm:

Yes, this is the very same Justice from the old .com board. It's nice to be back... You can call me... wannahave extraordinaire...

Notifier
07-28-2011, 04:49 AM
"My wife will never let me" - can't help you with this one!

"I have no place to park it" - correction, you have no place to park you other car!

"And I wouldn't be able to use it for family outings as it only has 2 seats" - that's why there are babysitters, or even good excuse for some father-daughter time!

See also this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?754-You-might-be-obsessed-with-DeLoreans-if...

sean
07-28-2011, 05:19 PM
You can call me... wannahave extraordinaire...

I'll call ya a DeLorean Sucker in the nicest possible way.

TheDutchTexan
07-29-2011, 01:48 AM
Notifier: She never lets me have anything... nah... that is untrue. She just does not share the same passion for cars I do. And if you are financially intertwined I have some serious begging ahead of me once that meter in my sig hits 100...

+1 On father daughter time. Also, I've always wondered why the D was never configured as a 2+2, there is clearly room. I wasn't surprised to see a thread about it here, just no specifics on how it was done. 2+2 DeLorean mod FTW!

And yes, my stang would sleep outside for sure...

Sean: Not sure how to take that one...

sean
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM

Sean: Not sure how to take that one...

The best possible way of course :smile:. Besides, we are in the same boat, at least I am anyway.

TheDutchTexan
07-29-2011, 04:35 PM
I guess that is true for everyone on the forum. The main difference between you and me is you can actually walk into your garage and admire your DeLorean...

I've been watching way too many DeLorean photos, listings and performance options lately. I am surprised why no one ever tried to mount a M45/M62/M90 supercharger on the PRV...

I've seen the 3 rotor, northstar, twin turbo, single turbo, vq35 and the odd 351 ford swap come by on my searches, but no one has dared to put a roots style blower on one. Guess it is not as straightforward as one might expect. Besides, I doubt it would fit underneath the mesh grille due to the higher profile. A M90 stays under hood for my mustang GT however, it practically rests in between the valley of the V.

Yes... I am obsessing...

Just ~21k left... hahaha... That'll only take me a few years... :banghead:

jmrydholm
08-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Mom- "Johnny, please move the DeLorean."
Me- "I'm getting married ma, it's only temporarily killing the grass! Hey, she runs for once..." :D I love my mom.

DMC5180
08-02-2011, 09:06 PM
I guess that is true for everyone on the forum. The main difference between you and me is you can actually walk into your garage and admire your DeLorean...

I've been watching way too many DeLorean photos, listings and performance options lately. I am surprised why no one ever tried to mount a M45/M62/M90 supercharger on the PRV...

I've seen the 3 rotor, northstar, twin turbo, single turbo, vq35 and the odd 351 ford swap come by on my searches, but no one has dared to put a roots style blower on one. Guess it is not as straightforward as one might expect. Besides, I doubt it would fit underneath the mesh grille due to the higher profile. A M90 stays under hood for my mustang GT however, it practically rests in between the valley of the V.

Yes... I am obsessing...

Just ~21k left... hahaha... That'll only take me a few years... :banghead:

DMCH has tried 3 different Blower options for the Stage III engine package. Durability of the lower end is the issue. (OEM Piston failures) The 1st was a centrifugal style. 2nd was valley mounted screw type. the 3rd is screw type mounted above RH rocker cover.

TheDutchTexan
08-02-2011, 10:19 PM
If you want to make serious power on boost you need to forge everything. I wonder what they where trying to achieve to break OEM pistons. Stock engines should be able to handle low boost. I know that is not the moneymaker in power, but it should translate in about 170-200 horse without to much trouble. It won't make the DeLorean scream, but you at least won't be beat by a corolla at the light. The DMC Stage II is supposed to give you around that power too I believe, but it costs an arm and a leg. When the prices where still up it was 8k I believe.

But since no one has any kits available, and you'd have to custom craft your DeLorean supercharger manifold, I doubt it is a viable option for bolt on gurus.

Too bad actually... because a twin screw sounds awesome!

DMC5180
08-06-2011, 10:35 PM
8K included a NOS crate engine built to STAGE II SPEC. (includes Exhaust system).
The Stage III Option was intended to be a BOLT-ON upgrade of Stage II. But I've also heard it works better with the stock cams vs. the high-lift Stage II cams. The goal was to Get about 240-250 HP out of a III setup. But it may not happen without forged pistons. They have been trying hard not to end up doing that for Cost reasons.

TheDutchTexan
08-07-2011, 12:44 PM
It's too much. The stock block is 130. Rule of thumb is that you can go 50% over without much issue. Venture beyond that and it's rolling the dice. The stage II is bolt ons if I understand correctly (all of them pretty much). It is still a motor built for that initial power of 130hp.

130 x 1.5 = 195hp. They are shooting for almost a 85-92% increase with 240-250hp. You can't do that without getting forged. Start with the original block, forge it, and slap the supercharger on. N/A tuning and F/I tuning are two different ballparks. You can't stack horsepower...

They could go at it different ways. The N/A option for people that want the OEM look, but just a bit extra punch. And the F/I option. For a stock block on low boost you'd get the same ammount (or slightly less hp as the N/A Stage II).

Something like this:

N/A Stage I ~140
N/A Stage II ~200

F/I Stage I ~190 (stock block)
F/I Stage II ~250 (forged motor)

Now there is nothing stopping people from swapping pullies. But that could result (in case of stage I F/I especially) in catastrophic engine failure. Especially since DeLorean already has proven the stock block will not handle 240-250. I would assume DeLorean owners learn from each other.

The M62 seems the choice for the PRV, as it is designed for engine sizes up to 4.0. The M45 only goes to 3.0, and since the displacement of the PRV is already close to that it would get to the limit fairly quickly. Besides, the M45 was on a mini cooper s for crying out loud. That is 1.6 liters!

You could also go with a centrifugal system, even though they sound cool, they just can't beat a roots style blower when it comes to sound. And the VOD needs to be filled up with something cool!

Too many ideas, but I wonder if it will ever come to fruition. But I believe it is as simple as forging one PRV, re-do the supercharger setup they had, as they ran it, and see how long it lasts. I think it will be a very good setup, and with a forged motor, 240-250 even seems conservative.

But another question would be... The limit of the transmission and diff... Torques break trannys and diffs. And, I've tried to find out, but does a DeLorean have a LSD? 250 horse without LSD is like trying to kill yourself...