PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Transporter

Delorean02378
07-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I've always been able to have a vehicle transported with no problems but for some reason it's taking forever to have a Delorean moved from Douglas GA, to Nashville TN.

Does anyone have connections in this industry? I placed my order over a week ago and still nothing has been scheduled. Just trying to get 04389 home so I can start working on it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

nullset
07-28-2011, 10:53 AM
I've always been able to have a vehicle transported with no problems but for some reason it's taking forever to have a Delorean moved from Douglas GA, to Nashville TN.

Does anyone have connections in this industry? I placed my order over a week ago and still nothing has been scheduled. Just trying to get 04389 home so I can start working on it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

The shipping industry is strange. Basically, the more you pay, the more quickly the car will get picked up.

Try getting a few different quotes.

Is the car drivable? Rollable? Pushable?

--buddy

DMCMW Dave
07-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Did you try www.passporttransport.com? We've found them very reliable and pretty quick. Not the cheapest in town but they won't screw up your car either.

You can get a quote and book it online.

Delorean02378
07-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Did you try www.passporttransport.com? We've found them very reliable and pretty quick. Not the cheapest in town but they won't screw up your car either.

You can get a quote and book it online.

Description Charges
Carhaul $525.00
Fuel Surcharge $84.00
Origination Charge $100.00
Loading and Unloading $100.00
Winch $200.00
Upcharge for Dest State $50.00
Online Tracking $7.95
Total: $1,066.95

Yikes! You weren't kidding Dave, they are definitely not the cheapest. Most of the quotes I've been getting are around $500 - $600.

I've gotten all kinds of quotes and companies calling but nothing confirmed. Thanks for the information.

Kirk

jmettee
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM
I first tried "Dependable Auto Shippers" & after a 3 week wait, I was still being told it was "not on the dispatch list yet", meaning it was still not picked up from the seller. I cancelled the order & went to FedEx Auto Transport. (http://fedex.com/us/customersupport/shipping/critical/ship.html). A bit more expensive than DAS, but the car was in a covered transporter & was picked up within 2 days of order placement & on its way.

Car arrived in perfect condition & I highly recommend them. I had also looked on the new about vehicle transport reviews & DAS had a significant number of damage reports at the time, which was another reason I cancelled with them.

Stainless
07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
I had a nightmare of a time trying to get my car shipped a few months back too. I went tried five different companies and waited over a month with no luck of anyone picking it up. DAS simply failed to call me back on two different occasions, so the weren't used for their complete lack of customer care.

Luckily mine was in driving condition, so I was able to end up driving the car the distance instead of having it shipped. Since it sounds like shipping is your only option, you may have to pay the extra coin to go with a reliable company, such as Passport. That's probably not the answer you want to hear, but money talks, especially in the auto transport industry. Good luck with getting it moved. It can be super frustrating.

sean
07-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Total: $1,066.95

Yikes is right. For hat price you might as well rent a truck and a U-haul dolly or car trailer.

DMCMW Dave
07-28-2011, 05:32 PM
IFedEx Auto Transport. (http://fedex.com/us/customersupport/shipping/critical/ship.html). A bit more expensive than DAS, but the car was in a covered transporter & was picked up within 2 days of order placement & on its way.

Fedex = Passport. Passport was the original company, Fedex bought them, and recently spun them back out. Stilll the same people. The thing I like was that they have drip guards between the layers of cars, and they plan the routing so that the car is never parked in a lot halfway through the trip, in fact they claim that the car never goes off the trailer from pickup to delivery. That must make for some interesting route planning.

DMCMW Dave
07-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Yikes is right. For hat price you might as well rent a truck and a U-haul dolly or car trailer.

Depends on what your personal time is worth.

And after seeing the huge dent/tear in our closed trailer after Mike's last trip I'm not sure I like open transport either. The front of the trailer looks like an ax murderer hit it, and there is a hole through the aluminum diamond-plate. It would have taken out a fascia or radiator. Just from something kicked up from the road by the tow vehicle.

Passport's quotes are interesting - if both ends of the trip are in a fairly populated area some of the surcharges go away, and the non-running-car charge is steep. I understand why, if the driver has to winch the car on and off the hauler it adds a lot of time to the trip and often means it's the last car on the truck/first car off.

Most of the "haulers" are just a guy in a room with a computer and a phone, and the drivers are subcontract owner-operators. The quality of the trucks and drivers is all over the place. Passport owns their own trucks and the drivers are employees, at least that's what I've been told.

Worst case is getting hauled across the country, parked under a car with leaky brakes.

Delorean02378
07-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I believe I've found someone who knows what the hell they're doing and will transport it for a decent price. $600

I'll be sure to post the transportation company, contact name and a review once it arrives. Pictures included.

Kirk

sdg3205
07-28-2011, 08:26 PM
I believe I've found someone who knows what the hell they're doing and will transport it for a decent price. $600

I'll be sure to post the transportation company, contact name and a review once it arrives. Pictures included.

Kirk

Just make sure they DONT tow it backwards.

Renee_1632
07-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I used fourcornerstransport.com both times I shipped the DeLorean (From NJ to GA, then GA to CA). The lady who runs it (Ellen) absolutely loves DeLoreans. The first ship, I ordered an open transport and it was upgraded to closed for free. The second time I ordered closed. It was approx 1200 from GA to CA.