PDA

View Full Version : Wanted Buying a Delorean

drdelorean
05-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone!

This is officially my first post here! So excuse all my future noob questions, faults and remarks, I'm by no means a Delorean expert.
I've been a lurker here for a while, but figured it's time to present myself;)

So I'm buying my first Delorean, a little scary, but mostly exciting.
I have a few criteria which are: Grey interior, manual, as stock AS possible(inc. radio, later 81' hood style, miles preferably under 35k same with the price below 30k.

I've seen a lot of people getting a lot of help here and this is why I love using this forum.

So I've been watching this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335182185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think? It fits most of my criteria, although I have never heard of any 100 Deloreans being built in Ohio, can someone enlighten me?
Also what would be a fair price?

Sorry for all the questions, or even if I posted in the wrong section, but I'am buying a Delorean and I know this is the place to get the best help and tips!

Cheers!

acaciolo
05-10-2014, 07:08 PM
I was in the same position as you a few weeks ago, and because of some extremely helpful people on this forum, I now am the proud owner of a delorean.

One popped up on ebay that the forum already had inspected when the church auctioned it off. It was in similar condition to the one you are looking at. I wouldn't get too hung up on the model year. Some of the 1983's (as you read) were assembled in ohio after Consolidated purchased up the bankrupt delorean assets.

If you get one close to original like that, plan on spending a few bucks on tires, fuel pump (probably), overflow tank, etc. (those are just the obvious ones.) I am having some work done on mine now to make it a little more of a daily driver. (new tires, brake pads, hoses replaced, etc.)

The forum will be your greatest asset in buying a delorean and you will get help as to what you should update on the car. I even had a number of forum members offer to inspect cars for me.

Make sure you check craigslist, autotrader, etc also.

tony c

acaciolo
05-10-2014, 07:19 PM
no pictures of the undercarriage (which is what I learned is one of the most important things to see....rust can be a deal killer)

but this one could be decent. the experts can now chime in:

http://www.mclarendowntownchicago.com/vehicles/details.php?id=13661814

http://north-shore-autosport.ebizautos.com/detail-1981-delorean-dmc~12-coupe-used-12065746.html

the dealer(s) must be related, because this looks like the same car.

where are you located?

also, there are 3 different hood styles:

gas flap (the hood has a small gas flap by the windshield)
flat (with a delorean emblem on the front above the headlight)
grooved (my personal favorite...maybe because I have this.)

tony

Michael
05-10-2014, 07:23 PM
First welcome!
As far as the car, looks nice but not enough frame pics. Based on the pics they did show it looks very nice.

I was not aware of the last cars being built in Ohio. It seems I have heard that story before but maybe it has been debunked. The manufacture date is Aug of 82...The factory was still open then wasn't it? I believe the factory shut it's doors in late November....so that car should have been built in Dunmurry.

drdelorean
05-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Exactly!

acaciolo: I was actually refering to you in my post and what an inspiring thread that was:D

Yeah model year ain't all that important to me, either of the two later hood styles are fine with me, just not a big fan of the gas flap..

Im currently stationed out of Norway, but I will have the car either shipped to LA ( as it is my second home ) or picked up by myself at the location this summer when I come back over the pond!
I will have DMC california look over the car and make any improvements the car might need, thats why I want to spend under 30k on a car in good condition and invest some money on improvements needed by DMC experts.

Both cars you sent me the link to are just in my ball park, thanks a lot!
Im constantly on craigslist, auto trader, classicars, ebay etc..

But keep 'em coming, I appreciate all the help I can get :D

drdelorean
05-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Michael: Yeah I was thinking that myself I have sent the seller a message for more pics. And weather the car was built in Ireland or the US does not really matter to me as long as all the information on the car is in sync and correct, but you are right I guess if the car was built in Ohio in 83 how can it then be a Aug 82... hmm

acaciolo
05-10-2014, 07:40 PM
glad to help. It is my turn to give back after everyone was so helpful to me.

also, there are 3 extremely helpful business owners on this forum. Rob Grady from PJ Grady's, Josh B from Delorean Performance, and Dave from Delorean midwest.

I met both josh and rob. they have amazing shops and really know their stuff. they were super helpful to me.

tony c

Michael
05-10-2014, 07:54 PM
Michael: Yeah I was thinking that myself I have sent the sellercs a message for more pics. And weather the car was built in Ireland or the US does not really matter to me as long as all the information on the car is in sync and correct, but you are right I guess if the car was built in Ohio in 83 how can it then be a Aug 82... hmm

I think he was just confused. The parts inventory was shipped to Ohio after the factory closed in late November or December (can't remember). Maybe since CI oversaw the last cars built he just assumed the assembly took place in Ohio. I think all the cars were (originally) built in the Dunmurry plant.

Dangermouse
05-10-2014, 08:09 PM
I recall a similar discussion last year which ended in James E confirming that no cars were built in Ohio.

The last few dozen were certainly shipped across and no doubt had some QAC style fettling done but that's about it.

acaciolo
05-10-2014, 08:27 PM
thanks makes a lot more sense about the "ohio built cars." amazing how much misinformation there is on the web!

Jonathan
05-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Welcome!

The car does look nice. As others said, some more frame photos would be beneficial. If the balance of the car including the frame looks as good as what is shown, you've at least found one that was well stored/maintained.

I know you mentioned being overseas, so this could prove difficult, but I would always advise seeing the car in person yourself before buying it. If that can't be done for whatever reason, find someone to look at it for you. This person needs to have two qualifications: you trust him or her completely with knowing how YOU make decisions, and the person needs to be DeLorean knowledgable and not just generic car knowledgable.

A couple comments on this one:

- Headliner looks a bit odd in colour, too light or almost tan in some ways. Most noticeable on the driver's side. Get more photos or ask what the story is.
- Find out if the safety recalls were done on this car, specifically the throttle deice recall and the front end recall.
- As the ad mentioned, expect to buy new rubber for the wheels and not to use 33 year old NCTs.
- The car has the original plastic coolant reservoir and you may elect to replace it as others often do (with a metal one).
- Wouldn't hurt to get some photos of the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat and perhaps the battery compartment as well. Throw in other areas like the inside of the glovebox, cubby hole, under the trunk carpet including the spare tire area and under it showing the fuel tank as well as the brake reservoir (these photos might be more important for you if you don't see it in person in advance).

I get somewhat cautious of ads using the word perfect or others similar to it and this one used a few of them. Not saying it isn't a great car, but very few things in my estimation are ever justifiably referred to as perfect on a DeLorean. Just double check the aspects of the car mentioned as being flawless or perfect or completely functional as designed. Your man on the ground can do this in person by testing all of these perfectly running features when he goes to see it.

NightFlyer
05-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Velkommen to the forum!

If it's what you want, I'd have no personal reservations about bidding on that car, as the condition/functionality must match the assertions made in the listing upon delivery, otherwise there's no legally binding contract. And the only reservations that I'd have about it would be concerning functionality, as everything else about the car looks good to me.

However, as you're buying blind and will not personally be there to accept delivery, you definitely need/want someone who knows what they're looking at to fully inspect/check out the car for you prior to the transfer of funds beyond a deposit.

As others have already said, all cars were assembled in Dunmurry. I believe that the actual story is that the parts inventory had already been shipped prior to the completion of some of the final cars, and thus they needed/required a few parts to be installed once they too were relocated to Ohio, however a vast majority of the assembly, >80%, took place at the Dunmurry factory.

Best of luck :thumbup:

Flicky
05-10-2014, 11:09 PM
The 20XXX cars are a bit special. 104 of them were put out. These were the cars that were on the line when they were taken over. Later rebuilt by DMC people that came back in. You can see on the bare door (headliner area) photo that the date (in European style) of 25-3-82. When Consolidated reapplied for the VIN numbers I think they all got the Aug 82 build date (for the "83" models). I think I have seen a Sept 82 out there too.

Back to the car...I would NEVER bid on any car off ebay without having a person see the car first and check out the owner. Spend $120 to hire a PI and run a back ground check on him so you know he isn't going to skip on you. The guy that wrote this is acting like a knowledgeable person when it is readily apparent they are not a car person. The thing what makes me the most worried is this line, "i have only driven it a couple of miles as i didn't want to put miles on this very low mileage car"... I hate crap like that because now you have to figure out the real reason he is not driving it. I guarantee it is because it overheated or didn't start last time he drove it. If him and the car checks out I'd say it is a good buy around 25K. Well...with only a day left on the auction things might be tight for you to get it all checked out. I can tell you that there are some great cars that match up with what you want for 25K, so don't get carried away or think that this is the only one you will ever find.

What is up with the exhaust tips...that is the early style isn't it? Does the fascia paint look dark to you guys?

drdelorean
05-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Welcome!

The car does look nice. As others said, some more frame photos would be beneficial. If the balance of the car including the frame looks as good as what is shown, you've at least found one that was well stored/maintained.

I know you mentioned being overseas, so this could prove difficult, but I would always advise seeing the car in person yourself before buying it. If that can't be done for whatever reason, find someone to look at it for you. This person needs to have two qualifications: you trust him or her completely with knowing how YOU make decisions, and the person needs to be DeLorean knowledgable and not just generic car knowledgable.

A couple comments on this one:

- Headliner looks a bit odd in colour, too light or almost tan in some ways. Most noticeable on the driver's side. Get more photos or ask what the story is.
- Find out if the safety recalls were done on this car, specifically the throttle deice recall and the front end recall.
- As the ad mentioned, expect to buy new rubber for the wheels and not to use 33 year old NCTs.
- The car has the original plastic coolant reservoir and you may elect to replace it as others often do (with a metal one).
- Wouldn't hurt to get some photos of the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat and perhaps the battery compartment as well. Throw in other areas like the inside of the glovebox, cubby hole, under the trunk carpet including the spare tire area and under it showing the fuel tank as well as the brake reservoir (these photos might be more important for you if you don't see it in person in advance).

I get somewhat cautious of ads using the word perfect or others similar to it and this one used a few of them. Not saying it isn't a great car, but very few things in my estimation are ever justifiably referred to as perfect on a DeLorean. Just double check the aspects of the car mentioned as being flawless or perfect or completely functional as designed. Your man on the ground can do this in person by testing all of these perfectly running features when he goes to see it.

Thank you for the in-depth reply, extremely helpful!

Like you say I do agree with having someone check it out for me, seeing as the auction is ending in a day I'll most likely end up not bidding on it. But there are other good Deloreans for sale, and Im in no hurry, I just need to have the car by this summer.

drdelorean
05-11-2014, 06:25 AM
Velkommen to the forum!

If it's what you want, I'd have no personal reservations about bidding on that car, as the condition/functionality must match the assertions made in the listing upon delivery, otherwise there's no legally binding contract. And the only reservations that I'd have about it would be concerning functionality, as everything else about the car looks good to me.

However, as you're buying blind and will not personally be there to accept delivery, you definitely need/want someone who knows what they're looking at to fully inspect/check out the car for you prior to the transfer of funds beyond a deposit.

As others have already said, all cars were assembled in Dunmurry. I believe that the actual story is that the parts inventory had already been shipped prior to the completion of some of the final cars, and thus they needed/required a few parts to be installed once they too were relocated to Ohio, however a vast majority of the assembly, >80%, took place at the Dunmurry factory.

Best of luck :thumbup:

Thank you!

Interesting facts, this is why I love this forum, all the knowledge!
I'll be "using" you guys frequently until I find the car that I want, thanks in advance:D

drdelorean
05-11-2014, 06:27 AM
The 20XXX cars are a bit special. 104 of them were put out. These were the cars that were on the line when they were taken over. Later rebuilt by DMC people that came back in. You can see on the bare door (headliner area) photo that the date (in European style) of 25-3-82. When Consolidated reapplied for the VIN numbers I think they all got the Aug 82 build date (for the "83" models). I think I have seen a Sept 82 out there too.

Back to the car...I would NEVER bid on any car off ebay without having a person see the car first and check out the owner. Spend $120 to hire a PI and run a back ground check on him so you know he isn't going to skip on you. The guy that wrote this is acting like a knowledgeable person when it is readily apparent they are not a car person. The thing what makes me the most worried is this line, "i have only driven it a couple of miles as i didn't want to put miles on this very low mileage car"... I hate crap like that because now you have to figure out the real reason he is not driving it. I guarantee it is because it overheated or didn't start last time he drove it. If him and the car checks out I'd say it is a good buy around 25K. Well...with only a day left on the auction things might be tight for you to get it all checked out. I can tell you that there are some great cars that match up with what you want for 25K, so don't get carried away or think that this is the only one you will ever find.

What is up with the exhaust tips...that is the early style isn't it? Does the fascia paint look dark to you guys?

Interesting facts, I have learned a lot only in the few hours of this thread!

And like I said I agree with you guys, I will not buy this car "blind" with so little time left to have the car or seller checked out. Theres more Deloreans for sale so my search continues, but I appreciate all the help and input from you guys!

Jonathan
05-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Interesting facts, I have learned a lot only in the few hours of this thread!

And like I said I agree with you guys, I will not buy this car "blind" with so little time left to have the car or seller checked out. Theres more Deloreans for sale so my search continues, but I appreciate all the help and input from you guys!

Flicky makes a great point about being patient. There will be other cars just as good or better so don't panic about not having enough time to act on this one.

Luckily the DeLorean buying experience isn't like one of these real estate markets where they insist you see the place, make your mind up, and put an offer on it with no conditions before leaving after seeing it for the first time. Good learning experience either way for you (or others).

drdelorean
05-14-2014, 04:18 AM
So true! Like I said I'm not pressed on time, just want to have it by summertime, so I'll keep searching! So I appreciate all the help you guys are giving me here:thumbup:

Viper Guy
05-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Hello everyone!

This is officially my first post here! So excuse all my future noob questions, faults and remarks, I'm by no means a Delorean expert.
I've been a lurker here for a while, but figured it's time to present myself;)

So I'm buying my first Delorean, a little scary, but mostly exciting.
I have a few criteria which are: Grey interior, manual, as stock AS possible(inc. radio, later 81' hood style, miles preferably under 35k same with the price below 30k.

I've seen a lot of people getting a lot of help here and this is why I love using this forum.

So I've been watching this listing on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121335182185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

What do you guys think? It fits most of my criteria, although I have never heard of any 100 Deloreans being built in Ohio, can someone enlighten me?
Also what would be a fair price?

Sorry for all the questions, or even if I posted in the wrong section, but I'am buying a Delorean and I know this is the place to get the best help and tips!

Cheers!

I think I will sell mine and you can buy it for $30K. But two things need to be done: 1. The new factory windshield needs to be installed which will be done Tuesday the 20th by a professional glass installation shop. 2. I must get the A/C working properly as I just installed a new factory compressor and am having noise issues - blows cold and has no leaks - but is noisy and might just be the belt per DMC in Texas. I'll know Tuesday as well regarding that as I am out of town till then for our son's wedding.

All else is super fine and I have all the history records, bills of sale, complete library of 6 DMC service binders, service records - you name it and I have it - and it is ALL STOCK factory original (radio too and it works as does the power antenna when the radio is turned on and off).

The car has 34,500 miles, is in near mint condition inside and out, upside and down, no fluid leaks, all interior and exterior lights work, all gages work, horn works, key buzzer works, power windows and mirrors work, nothing missing - has all the accessories like the spare and jack assembly, fitted car cover, alarm system. It is a manual 5-speed (newer clutch) and gray interior. I am in the Kansas City area and the car has always been serviced by the factory trained technician (Eudell's in Merriam, KS) and I have ALL the service records. Please send me your e-mail address and I will send pictures of anything you want to see. My e-mail is [email protected]. My phone is 816-590-3685.

Best regards,

Fred

Viper Guy
05-14-2014, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Viper Guy;143147]I think I will sell mine and you can buy it for $30K. But two things need to be done: 1. The new factory windshield needs to be installed which will be done Tuesday the 20th by a professional glass installation shop. 2. I must get the A/C working properly as I just installed a new factory compressor and am having noise issues - blows cold and has no leaks - but is noisy and might just be the belt per DMC in Texas. I'll know Tuesday as well regarding that as I am out of town till then for our son's wedding.

All else is super fine and I have all the history records, bills of sale, complete library of 6 DMC service binders, service records - you name it and I have it - and it is ALL STOCK factory original (radio too and it works as does the power antenna when the radio is turned on and off).

The car has 34,500 miles, is in near mint condition inside and out, upside and down, no fluid leaks, all interior and exterior lights work, all gages work, horn works, key buzzer works, power windows and mirrors work, nothing missing - has all the accessories like the spare and jack assembly, fitted car cover, alarm system. It is a manual 5-speed (newer clutch) and gray interior. I am in the Kansas City area and the car has always been serviced by the factory trained technician (Eudell's in Merriam, KS) and I have ALL the service records. Please send me your e-mail address and I will send pictures of anything you want to see. My e-mail is [email protected]. My phone is 816-590-3685.

Best regards,

Fred[/QUOTE

P.S. The car has the late hood without the gas flap.

drdelorean
05-20-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the response!

I will definitely shoot you an email!
I'm looking at a couple of cars atm. but it is hard seeing as I'm overseas until mid july. I will keep my eyes and ears open until mid summer and hopefully by then I will have found the perfect car for me :D

Cheers!

Viper Guy
05-20-2014, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the response!

I will definitely shoot you an email!
I'm looking at a couple of cars atm. but it is hard seeing as I'm overseas until mid july. I will keep my eyes and ears open until mid summer and hopefully by then I will have found the perfect car for me :D

Cheers!

Just wondering if you are in the military? Our oldest son is in Sarajevo in the Missouri National Guard on a peace keeping mission and is scheduled to be back in October or November.

BTW - Got the A/C done (new compressor and belt) and the new windshield will be in tomorrow (was supposed to have been today but got postponed). Everything else is the way it's supposed to be and everything works! Send me an e-mail and I can send pics.

Fred

drdelorean
05-25-2014, 02:12 PM
Thank you ViperGuy fro sending me pictures of your Delorean, it looks very nice!

It's definitely one of my top pics at the moment. Where are you located? Like other people have said, I will definitely have to have someone look at the car for me or go do it myself, so I hope your in no rush to sell??

drdelorean
06-08-2014, 07:18 PM
So the search is going good, I found this Delorean on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221455068633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I like the way it looks and whats written about it, it also gives you a link to view more photos, some good pics from underneath the car as well.
The good thing it is a california delorean which means it won't be far for me to travel and it is not to far from DMC california.
It says it the ad the the car has had a battery drainage problem since it was new? anyone else had this problem?

Again, thanks for all the help here!

Bitsyncmaster
06-08-2014, 07:44 PM
All stock DeLoreans will drain a fully charged battery in two or three months not being run. Problem shows up sooner if owner just runs it for a quick warmup and expects that to charge the battery.

drdelorean
06-09-2014, 06:16 AM
Makes sense! I was just hoping it wouldn't be a more serious issue ;)

Jonathan
06-09-2014, 09:24 AM
So the search is going good, I found this Delorean on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221455068633?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I like the way it looks and whats written about it, it also gives you a link to view more photos, some good pics from underneath the car as well.
The good thing it is a california delorean which means it won't be far for me to travel and it is not to far from DMC california.
It says it the ad the the car has had a battery drainage problem since it was new? anyone else had this problem?

Again, thanks for all the help here!

This car does look nice. Kudos to whoever the photographer was as they got some great angles of the car inside and out to show you various things.

A couple thoughts:

- We know the tachometer kind of goes wherever it pleases when you shut off the car, but I have never seen one peg out on the high side as this one does. It's over past the redline numbers for some reason. Seeing what the needle does when the car is running should tell you more about it.

- The ad says approximately 2,800 miles yet the odometer says 2,6xx something. Two things here potentially. The car is getting driven while it is for sale and after the photos were taken (which is a good thing in terms of getting it some exercise). Or, there are some angle drive problems. If you go see the car and it still shows 2,600 and something, it says to me the speedo isn't working. Mostly because you don't overestimate your miles in an ad like this, not when you would have written "approximately 2,700" or even "approximately 2,600 miles." Driving it will show you whether the speedo works of course.

- The frame has one of the black coating materials on it, which is fine. It looks though like there is a lot of road grime for a car that has only ever seen 2,800 miles and been stored most of it's life. When you see it and ask more questions, I'll bet you learn quickly whether the mileage is close to that or another number entirely. Focus on the condition more anyway and not the number, just keep it in mind in terms of gauging what the seller is all about.

drdelorean
06-09-2014, 05:37 PM
That is true Jonathan. Hopefully I can get a friend of mine to go check the car out before the auction ends.
This Delorean might need some work to get in the order I want it to be, but if I'm able to get it at a good price, I can spend the rest of my money of getting it where it needs to be.

So the dent it has in the hood, even though it's small, are we talking big bucks to fix this? Anyone have any experience with that?

Dangermouse
06-10-2014, 12:47 PM
fwiw, the dent is in the LF fender, not the hood, so it should be easy to take off and repair. Guessing $200-400 with the right guy.

Have you seen these pictures here:

https://plus.google.com/+ClayRaedeker/posts

IMO, it looks like a car that was bought, driven for a while in 1983/4 and then stored. The seller has recently revived/restored it, and I suspect it hasn't driven many miles recently. Brand new tires, fuel system, brake system and headliner would confirm that. The classic requirements of a revival. The lack of an autocheck report on an 83 car and the MAR tax sticker would also imply that it has only entered the DMV computers this year.

Doesn't make it a bad car, or course, everything certainly looks straight. But you should expect to start working your way through all the rubber components as the car gets more exercise.

drdelorean
06-10-2014, 04:37 PM
My bad *left fender of course! I just though it was the hood, because either that or the front fender looks a bit off when you look at the "straight ahead" photo.

Thanks for your input, helps me!

I know this car might need some work, but if I can get it for a good price I'd be happy to invest a few bucks to get the car in the condition I want it to be;)

Max Power
06-18-2014, 04:53 PM
Did you bid on this in the end,I had my eye on it. A lot of cars seem to be auto,manuals seem more scarce.
Ps first post Hi to you guys,I'm in the UK and would love to bring a US Delorean back home!

drdelorean
06-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Welcome :D

I did not have anyone to look at the car for me, so I ended up not joining in on the last battle to win the auction.

However, I put together a list of things that I am looking for in a Delorean and what I will have done to it.

What I want:
-Late 81-82
-Grey interior
-Manual transmission
-As stock as possible including original radio
-Integrated pull straps on door
-Bolsters permanently attached
-Polished silver look rims, not the painted grey
-Automatic radio antenna installed under the grills behind the rear driver’s-side window

Things that I will have done:
-Replace speedometer 140 mph
-Lowered suspensions to european specs
-Upgrade engine, exhaust, stage 2?? (Id like to hear everyones opinion on stage 2, is it worth it?)

July is coming fast, and I realise I can't rush this process, but I would love to have found a car by july, and have the fine people at DMC california do their magic on whatever is needed.
I keep browsing ebay, craigslist, auto trader, auto trader classics everyday, but If someone stubble over the kind of car I'm looking for please don't hesitate to let me know. All help is greatly appreciated

Cheers!

drdelorean
07-08-2014, 06:57 PM
Alright guys, it looks like a got a Delorean (finally) I don't wanna jinx anything, so I will throw up some pictures and keep you posted as soon as I get everything taken care of:D

Thanks again for all the help here, could not have done it without you!

Cheers!