PDA

View Full Version : New 1981 owner. Trying for "$2000, non-destructive" Time Machine mod. Wish me luck!

bcarreras
05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Hi!

My name is Brett.

I am the owner of a 1981 Automatic which I finally got running a week ago (curse you, "live" fuel pump!).

In addition, I operate the VA Comicon in Richmond. It has always been my dream to own a Time Machine.

I am trying for a low-budget "non-destructive" Time machine conversion, cutting some corners to achieve an overall look.

I wish I had a ton of $$ to do it movie authentic, but I am still paying off the car itself. Hah!

So, here is what I have, and my thoughts so far:

Diamond Select Flux Capacitor ($350)
1st Gen Ipad for Time Circuits ($100)
Hi Res teardrop window Decals of components ($50)
Schumacher 12v portable power ($100)
Sound Activated LED battery powered visual Equalizer ($10)
Custom cut Grille material in 4' sections ($100)
Piping for exterior grille pieces ($100)
Laser Cut aluminum sheet using BTTFparts CAD design for rear exhaust / back section ($600)
Dodge Polaris Hubcap, Circular stove chimney piece, and PVC section for fusion reactor ($60)
Blue LED volt meters for vehicle dash hardwired for glovebox piece ($50)
Old Android phone with free GPS speedometer placed inside of custom built box from lowes ($20)
4 8port ethernet switches and 16 multi-colored 20' cables for flux box and cables ($120)
40 2.5" suction cup dent pullers to attach pieces to exterior without damage ($100)
60 ft BLUE 12v LED hi yield waterproof ropelight ($60)
12v switch activated remote control power box ($15)

Yup...that's my budget. My hope is to have the entire mod be removable without leaving a scratch using suction cups. Sounds crazy, I know.

My goal is to have the entire mod done by November so I can bring it to the VA Comicon that I Run at the Raceway to try to raise some $$ for charity with it.

If there are any other Delorean owners who would like to have their car on display at the show, PLEASE contact me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Wish me Luck!

Dangermouse
05-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Have you tried a suction cup on the stainless? I was never able to get one to stick as the surface isn't smooth.:(

bcarreras
05-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi...we messed with "dent pullers". It does ONLY work on the flattest of surfaces, with a slight moisture bond. the 4 1/2 inch one held on for quite some time. My new plans calls for smaller ones.

My backup plan is use the existing bolts in the back above the rear window. Not ideal though.

Best,

Brett

Mark D
05-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Glad to hear you're doing this with a charity organization in mind. :thumbup:

I'm not sure what you're plans are exactly with suction cups but keep in mind that they do not work (for very long) on a brushed stainless steel surface. The most common way for people to find this out is by mounting a go-pro camera to the exterior of their car only to have it fall off a short while later. The straight line grains of the brushed surface do not allow for a suction cup to remain attached as it would on a smooth surface.

If you're planning on driving this car at all at any speed with the time machine props attached be 100% certain that parts aren't going to come flying off into traffic.

Dangermouse
05-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Problem solved !!

http://www.uline.com/images/product/Large/S_18763_L.jpg

Hope we don't come across as too negative. Wish you luck in the endevour

Flicky
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Don't know if you already got the flux capacitor. If you are crafty, and have time, you might look into making your own. Have a look here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Flux-Capacitor/

MML
05-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Have you tried a suction cup on the stainless? I was never able to get one to stick as the surface isn't smooth.:(

I wonder if you could attach rare-earth magnets to the inside of the body panels and also on the props, e.g. the flux bands etc.
Invisible to the eye but very strong.

jackb
05-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Where do you plan on getting decals for the rear windows? I saw a picture of decals like that on a car before, and messaged the owner for details, but never heard back.

bcarreras
05-13-2014, 01:12 AM
Hi...I was able to get them printed up onto window decals. I then used a razor blade to trace the outlines. Pretty easy. Here's a pic:

Kenny_Z
05-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Those command adhesive strips work well and don't leave any residue on the stainless or fascias. I decorate Red every year for the local Chistmas parade and I use that to hold the garland on.

jwrayth
05-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Hi...I was able to get them printed up onto window decals. I then used a razor blade to trace the outlines. Pretty easy. Here's a pic:

That looks pretty sweet :D Any chance you'd be willing to share the decal source images?

mluder
05-13-2014, 03:11 PM

OK... That's not bad looking for what your goal is. :thumbup2:

Cheers
Steven

bcarreras
05-13-2014, 06:41 PM
That looks pretty sweet :D Any chance you'd be willing to share the decal source images?

I did a search for hi-res images on the internet, and found some great ones of the screen used car. I just had it printed where it was big enough to be the right size onto clear vinyl sticker material.

The photo of the other side (with the green canisters) didn't turn out as well (too dark to be effective), so I am hunting for some that may be rendered, etc.

My first round of prints were too narrow by an inch (I didn't account for curve), so I am going to clean them up.

If anyone has a high-res pic of the Right side, PLEASE consider forwarding it my way. Thanks.

Once I stuck them on, I used a razor-blade to cut the outline of the part, which added a degree of depth.

I will humbly say the right side (not pictured) turned out looking pretty horrible, other than the silver boxes, which have a cool 3-D effect.

Car is at my buddies' shop getting all of the electronics looked over, so I can't send pics at the moment of the right side.

I will keep you posted. Here's a recent pic of my other buddy and my neighbors getting a kick out of the car:

bcarreras
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Oh...I picked THESE up today, which were in 4' sections, 6" wide. I am supposed to be picked up the laser-cut aluminum for the rear portion tomorrow.

I am going off of the flat cad diagram for that portion, so I think I will be spending MOST of my time figuring out the arrangement of how the pieces go together before trying to find someone to weld them. Neat!

Nicholas R
05-13-2014, 08:21 PM

Holy crap those look awesome! Any chance you want to make another set and sell them?

DeLorean03
05-13-2014, 09:31 PM

Wow, holy crap those look really good!

jackb
05-13-2014, 11:08 PM

That's almost exactly like the set I had seen before, and exactly what I would like to do to mine. If you get the other side down, please offer us your sources, as obviously I'm not the only one here interested in doing that.

Mark D
05-14-2014, 11:14 AM
I have this Universal Studios ref photo of the passenger side of the car in high res. PM me with your email address if you want the full version.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27179&d=1400080424

bcarreras
05-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Wow, holy crap those look really good!

Sure...I would consider selling them to make life easier for people.

I wonder what the interest is. They aren't 100% the right size yet, but when I do the next round, I will get a few extra printed up, and offer them up on the forum.

Take care! - Brett

bcarreras
05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
I have this Universal Studios ref photo of the passenger side of the car in high res. PM me with your email address if you want the full version.

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27179&d=1400080424

Hi, Mark!

I would very much like to see the picture. I sent you a PM. If you have the left side as well, it would be grand. I guess I could always do it better, and may as well use the Ref photo. Cool!

Brett

Timebender
05-14-2014, 01:30 PM

I wonder what the interest is. They aren't 100% the right size yet, but when I do the next round, I will get a few extra printed up, and offer them up on the forum.

Take care! - Brett

I'd take a set! Those look pretty nice for just being a decal.

mluder
05-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Take care! - Brett

I might be up as well... Did you say what it cost to print them? Also, are they printed on vinyl so they can be re-used or are they destroyed when they're removed? If they could be done on vinyl like a window cling you could put them on and take them off at will.

Cheers
Steven

Timebender
05-14-2014, 02:22 PM
PJ Grady had been working on a non-destructive BTTF kit that was using hooks or something that went under the body panels and attached to existing hardware so the was no need for drilling. Supposedly you could convert/unconvert in less than an hour IIRC.

Mark D
05-14-2014, 02:31 PM
Hi, Mark!

I would very much like to see the picture. I sent you a PM. If you have the left side as well, it would be grand. I guess I could always do it better, and may as well use the Ref photo. Cool!

Brett

Hey Brett, I responded back to your PM, I'll send out the full res version of that right hand side photo this afternoon. I've got a high res photo of the left side of the car but I think it's the same photo you're already using:
http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27180&d=1400092249

Starglider
05-14-2014, 02:48 PM
PJ Grady had been working on a non-destructive BTTF kit that was using hooks or something that went under the body panels and attached to existing hardware so the was no need for drilling. Supposedly you could convert/unconvert in less than an hour IIRC.

This kit has been researched and is ready to go as soon as Chris N gets a free block of time to produce it (he thinks August at the moment). However it is just the exterior props (at present) and will cost considerably more than this version.

bcarreras
05-14-2014, 04:00 PM
This kit has been researched and is ready to go as soon as Chris N gets a free block of time to produce it (he thinks August at the moment). However it is just the exterior props (at present) and will cost considerably more than this version.

I am definitely going for a feeling rather than movie authentic. For example, check out this $6 (+$2 s/h) "Wormhole Emitter" I found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O25Q1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_asp_6cwQH.0R0TSH6

Thanks for all of the hi-res photos, guys!

Best,

Brett

SIMid
05-14-2014, 07:50 PM
If they could be done on vinyl like a window cling you could put them on and take them off at will.

Cheers
Steven

+1

mr2nut123
05-15-2014, 06:56 AM
I'm loving the work here man! Always good to see new ways to do this especially on a budget. As a proud (ex) owner of a 'destructive' one the only thing I will say is that any externally mounted parts like the flux bands get me extremely nervous. Mine were bolted in tight, and you could still see them flexing a little when hitting high speeds on the roads. For the sake of a few holes on, let's face it, a car you're not going to turn back into a stock Delorean anyway, I'm just not sure... If they come off at high speed you're in for a big repair bill to cars around you and possibly worse.

Mark D
05-15-2014, 11:26 AM
You may want to research 3M VHB adhesive tape. It's designed for structural applications and I've read about it being used to secure aluminum panels on skyscrapers. It can work better than mechanical fasteners for some applications because it allows for expansion and contraction between different materials.

Not sure if that exactly fits the category of 'non destructive' though since it's designed to be a permanent bond. If you ever wanted to remove parts you've adhered in place you'd have to get creative with how to do it without damaging the stainless.

bcarreras
05-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi...I too am concerned about high speeds. In an ideal world, everything will be easily unclipped and stashed in the trunk. Here is a photo of the top of the fusion chamber. The yellow cap is dead wrong, so we have to change it for one with a handle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bcarreras
05-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Just picked up the laser-cut aluminum parts based on Mr. Weaver's CAD designs. Can't wait to fiddle with them over the weekend to figure out how they all fit together. Wish me luck! -Brett27207

ALEXAKOS
05-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Interesting thread.

As I too am making a non destructable BTTF replica and stock hybrid and I create all of the props by my self, I realized that a less than 8000 USD (material cost strictly) of making all that is close to impossible.

I have epoxy glued iron bars behind the stainless panels to allow magnets topped with antisrcatch textile o have the exterior stuff mount. Plus used an aluminum bar in a black plastic tube ton bend that thing wire look into shape. That also keeps things in place.

I will be intrigued by your project...
GOOD LUCK! :)

Deloreanyorkshire
05-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Excellent thread, your window decals are amazing :) I am in the middle of a "no holes" conversion and have just about finished the interior. I will be very interested in how you get on with this project as the exterior may be next goal :)

bcarreras
05-18-2014, 05:53 PM
Interesting thread.

As I too am making a non destructable BTTF replica and stock hybrid and I create all of the props by my self, I realized that a less than 8000 USD (material cost strictly) of making all that is close to impossible.

I have epoxy glued iron bars behind the stainless panels to allow magnets topped with antisrcatch textile o have the exterior stuff mount. Plus used an aluminum bar in a black plastic tube ton bend that thing wire look into shape. That also keeps things in place.

I will be intrigued by your project...
GOOD LUCK! :)

Very cool idea of using added metal to make the car magnetic.

Brett

howlingwind13
06-28-2014, 06:42 PM
That is very Clever!
Pretty cool idea

mike

jamesvnz
07-30-2014, 06:33 AM
That is very Clever!
Pretty cool idea

mike

if any one can please send me a couple of hi res piks to make a decal for the rear right and left window of my delorean that would be great love this thread

regards

james

Timebender
09-08-2015, 04:11 PM
I am definitely going for a feeling rather than movie authentic. For example, check out this $6 (+$2 s/h) "Wormhole Emitter" I found on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O25Q1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_asp_6cwQH.0R0TSH6

Thanks for all of the hi-res photos, guys!

Best,

Brett

Did you ever finalize the size and such for the window decals? I'd really be in for a set as I would guess some other guys here would be as well.

aotmfilms
09-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Yes. I am interested in those decals as well.

cpistocco
09-16-2015, 12:47 AM
if any one can please send me a couple of hi res piks to make a decal for the rear right and left window of my delorean that would be great love this thread

regards

james

There is a gent who lives in Mass. with a dead on conversion...perhaps he could help...

zer0v3locity
09-30-2015, 12:44 AM
How is this lowbudget project coming along???

bcarreras
10-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Hi, All!

Last year everyone asked me how I got my window decals printed. I got them printed on clear vinyl, and then used a razorblade to trim out the elements.

I think it was about a $40 print job for the two windows. This can be done by any local sign printer if you want, hopefully before Oct 21:

Left rear window:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36Bg1rum9UJV2VxemhZT21zTms/view?usp=sharing

Right rear window:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B36Bg1rum9UJLVJMUmdFMldpS1U/view?usp=sharing

Thank goodness Google Drive had a backup of my files from when my Hard Drive went bad a while back. Sorry for the 1 year delay on this, everyone!

Best,

Brett
Promoter of the VA Comicon

Timebender
10-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Awesome! Thanks Brett.

artisticent
05-03-2017, 03:25 AM
I dont want to distract from the main topic so is there any way you could direct me to the fix for the fuel pump issue please. My car is stored in my garage waiting on an interior job but I start it once every couple weeks and run it for 15 minutes. I tried recently and it just cranks without actually turning over. From past experience of regular cars it feels like a fuel pump thing.. any help

Best
Nathan

EngineerGuY
05-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I dont want to distract from the main topic so is there any way you could direct me to the fix for the fuel pump issue please. My car is stored in my garage waiting on an interior job but I start it once every couple weeks and run it for 15 minutes. I tried recently and it just cranks without actually turning over. From past experience of regular cars it feels like a fuel pump thing.. any help

Best
Nathan

you might want to try this question in another area, this is the back to the future section. You might have better luck

cpistocco
05-07-2017, 01:19 AM
Just picked up the laser-cut aluminum parts based on Mr. Weaver's CAD designs. Can't wait to fiddle with them over the weekend to figure out how they all fit together. Wish me luck! -Brett27207

Was it difficult to assemble the vents? Did you weld them?

cpistocco
05-25-2017, 06:11 PM
you might want to try this question in another area, this is the back to the future section. You might have better luck

Can you hear fuel pump turn on when you turn the key?