PDA

View Full Version : MP3 cassette tape for OEM radio

John U
07-28-2011, 02:45 PM
I just received my new MP3 cassette player from HongKong...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400228093401&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I figured for $13 shipped it was worth a try....well I was right!
It comes with a built in battery, cig outlet charger, and remote control. I put an SD card loaded with old 80s tunes into the MP3 player and stuck it into the old Craig radio.
It really works great. The sound is better than the old cassette adapter I was using in conjuction with my portable MP3. You can also choose from a few different equalizers for better sound.
The remote works great even when the tape is inside the player (which surprised me)
The only drawback is that there is no display of what song is playing. You can however choose songs by number on the remote (if you have memorized which song corresponds to which number in the list :headscratch:)....also, I don't think you can put the songs on random mode.
The cassette can also be used as a stand-alone MP3 player by plugging in your headphones (not included).

Seems like a great product at an amazing price....shipping was extremely quick too....I still can't figure out how products come to Canada from China a week faster than they do from the USA.....

John

dvonk
07-28-2011, 11:16 PM
nice, that is clever. how is the build quality/durability?

John U
07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I can't report on how long it will last since I just got it, but it looks like it is well built and not at all flimsy.

John

Chris 16409
07-30-2011, 02:42 AM
I can't report on how long it will last since I just got it, but it looks like it is well built and not at all flimsy.

John

This listing says that it has a remote included. Does it come with an actual hand held remote, or is it just the play/pause buttons you see on the tape?

Jonathan
07-30-2011, 10:04 AM
That is sweet John. For $13 including shipping I am just about ready to hit buy it now and get my own. I was actually thinking about looking through some old boxes to find the cassette adapter thingy I used to use in the car to play CD's through an old Discman. Is that what you mentioned you used to use? How does it work in the Craig radio? I would just intend on plugging mine in through the tape adapter into my iPhone.

I assume the tape adapter SD card thing you bought can't charge through the USB and cigar lighter WHILE you are using it, right?

I have been considering getting a RetroSound radio the last ~2 years, but I can't seem to get consistent feedback on whether people like them or not. I've heard people say they are cheaply made and break a lot, but wasn't sure if those were just urban legends.

r00b
07-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I have been considering getting a RetroSound radio the last ~2 years, but I can't seem to get consistent feedback on whether people like them or not. I've heard people say they are cheaply made and break a lot, but wasn't sure if those were just urban legends.

I really liked my RetroSound radio, but I went through 3 units and had all the displays fail. I use my car everyday, I believe this radio is for cars that aren't driven everyday. That way when the screen does fail, the unit will no longer be under warranty. The usb function still works in my current unit even though the screen is toast. I can't switch into radio mode, and even if I could it would be difficult to navigate through the stations without a display. The screen failure is disappointing, here is a vid of my first unit before the screen craped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5eHi9danc

John U
07-30-2011, 03:13 PM
This listing says that it has a remote included. Does it come with an actual hand held remote, or is it just the play/pause buttons you see on the tape?

yes there is a small remote which works very well

cassette adapter thingy I used to use in the car to play CD's through an old Discman. Is that what you mentioned you used to use? How does it work in the Craig radio?

That's what I was using before....it worked fine, but the sound quality on the new MP3 cassette is better...it might be because I was using my Blackberry as an MP3 player before.

I assume the tape adapter SD card thing you bought can't charge through the USB and cigar lighter WHILE you are using it, right?

That is something I haven't tried yet....the battery hasn't needed a fresh charge yet after about an hour of use. I will have to investigate that one and get back to you.

John

John U
07-30-2011, 03:18 PM
what model is that retrosound radio? Does it fit in without any modifications or cutting?
Does it just have radio plus an aux input?

thanks
John

jmrydholm
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
That is pretty cool. My Craig died long before I bought the car, so I've been using an older Alpine CD player that's compatible with MP3 CD's. The only downside is this one doesn't have a USB port as it's a cheaper model from 2004. My Sony cassette recorder that I've had since 1995 finally died last week :(

Jonathan
08-09-2011, 09:46 PM
what model is that retrosound radio? Does it fit in without any modifications or cutting?

thanks
John

I think people have been getting the MODEL ONE version. I had a website bookmarked for buying in Canada and I think you end up getting the UNIVERSAL kit. Which basically is just the style of faceplate.

It is the kind of radio that fits in the original non-DIN bracket and the knobs you can adjust to fit up down left and right. I hear people recommend redoing your speaker wiring especially the grounds. Not sure how that relates to the display failing.

Yes, radio, aux in, but also a USB hookup.

DMC02766
08-10-2011, 10:22 AM

thanks
John

The craig faceplate will work with the model 1 / classic sound radio as well. Here are some pics of mine installed.. I have had it for roughly 2 - 3 years (only driving on weekends) and I love it so far. The sound is really good on it although I also replaced my front speakers with Boston Accoustic speakers and ran new ground wires when I put it in.

Jonathan
08-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Hey John, after a couple weeks now, how do you like your tape SD reader gadget? Still recommend it? Did you get a chance to play more with the remote, or the charging cable?

John U
08-14-2011, 09:16 AM
It works so well, i bought another one!
It seems that physically the charger cable won't fit while the tape is playing because of how the tape is sitting in the stereo. The battery seems to last for hours though...haven't drained it yet.

Jonathan
08-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Cool, that's good news. I just made a Craig radio thread asking about features and controls. As I found my old discman adapter and put it in via my iPhone. Seems like not all the speakers play when using the adapter. Did you find this when using your old adpater versus the new SD card playing cassette?

John U
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
I read your other thread and got to thinking....I do recall when using my radio, my left front speaker didn't seem to be working. I just checked it out...the wires are gone from it and they appear to have vanished....add another thing to my list of repairs :frown:

John U
08-16-2011, 08:07 PM
strange happenings with the new gadget....seems that it plays, but as it does the stereo keeps switching sideA/sideB over and over as if it is looking for music (while it is playing music)....hmmmm

Ratrace427
08-31-2011, 11:31 PM
I really liked my RetroSound radio, but I went through 3 units and had all the displays fail. I use my car everyday, I believe this radio is for cars that aren't driven everyday. That way when the screen does fail, the unit will no longer be under warranty. The usb function still works in my current unit even though the screen is toast. I can't switch into radio mode, and even if I could it would be difficult to navigate through the stations without a display. The screen failure is disappointing, here is a vid of my first unit before the screen craped out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK5eHi9danc

Wow! i found this post due to my retrosound going out. I have been through four and i dont care for another. I am looking for other options as of now.

Ratrace427
08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
I have talked to chris over at retrosound many times. This last time he told me that he has no idea why i am having problems and they have a low return rate. Maybe no one complains? Did you contact them with your retrosound problem? I have been with retrosound for many years. I have went through two diff. models and four radios with them all having a life of 6 months. I dont drive my car very much either.

Ratrace427
09-01-2011, 12:05 AM
I did not replace the ground wires for the two fronts so i am sharing grounds still. I really do not think this is a problem so i am selling my model one on ebay now for 220. Maybe one of you guys will want to try it for that price. It is new never opened box. I just got it in the mail today.

BigBenb84
03-03-2012, 06:35 PM
ok, its been several months. How is this cassette mp3 player working?

I just bought an '88 Fiero and it has a tape deck and want to get one. Can't find it on ebay, but found it on Amazon for $17.99+shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/AdapSonic%C2%AE-Car-Cassette-Adapter-Player/dp/B005LDF6ZK

John U
03-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Still working very well

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Mini-Cassette-Type-Tape-MP3-Player-SD-Card-Portable-Automatic-music-USB-/200709638336?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item2ebb3a08c0

go for it!

John

BigBenb84
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Just bought it, we shall see!!

NightFlyer
05-11-2014, 06:32 AM
strange happenings with the new gadget....seems that it plays, but as it does the stereo keeps switching sideA/sideB over and over as if it is looking for music (while it is playing music)....hmmmm

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm looking into getting one of these for the DCS trip and thought I'd ask a few questions.

How are these working for people who bought them?

Was there a problem with this unit constantly triggering the auto reverse?

Thanks guys :smile:

Dangermouse
05-11-2014, 09:48 AM
I use one that I previously used in my DD.

It never triggered the auto reverse in the DD but it does do that occasionally with the craig. Almost always it is right at the start and once it "settles down" it is fine for the rest of the trip.

Ymmv of course as it seems to be a function of the Craig's sensitivity

But for a couple of bucks, it's great :)

NightFlyer
05-11-2014, 05:00 PM
I use one that I previously used in my DD.

It never triggered the auto reverse in the DD but it does do that occasionally with the craig. Almost always it is right at the start and once it "settles down" it is fine for the rest of the trip.

Ymmv of course as it seems to be a function of the Craig's sensitivity

But for a couple of bucks, it's great :)

Thanks for the response Dermot.

Well, I just ordered one like the OP:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191143949592?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Bad enough that it's made in China, I also despise that it comes from China, but to get the exact same thing (made in China) from a US based seller was $39. While I'm all for a healthy profit margin or whatever you can get someone to pay, 305% is too much to earn my business.

Dangermouse
05-11-2014, 06:02 PM
F me, that's fancy!! Remote control!? Pretty colors!?

Walmart have the basic black one for $1.99. Obviously still made in China.

NightFlyer
05-11-2014, 07:09 PM
F me, that's fancy!! Remote control!? Pretty colors!?

Walmart have the basic black one for $1.99. Obviously still made in China.

Well, the OP reported that this type yielded better sound quality for him than the typical el cheapo cabled adapters. And I liked the idea of not having to use an external source to supply the audio and that there's no cord to interfere with anything. The internal gearing can always be modified if I run into auto-reverse problems. A few people (non-D owners) reported that the audio quality wasn't as good as some of the nicer cabled adapters, but I figured that I could swap out the heads if I felt so inclined.

Not that any of my concerns about sound quality are actually justified, as I'm still using all the stock/OEM Craig speakers...

For $12, I figured why not give it a shot.

Dangermouse
05-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Ok, that will teach me not to read the whole thread. :(

The one I have is the cabled one that plugs into you phone, which is the storage medium.

I didn't appreciate that the OP one was different and uses a SD card.

Rich_NYS
06-01-2014, 11:52 PM
What's the latest on this device? Everybody still liking it?

NightFlyer
06-02-2014, 01:54 AM
I haven't tried mine yet, but for $12, it appears to be a pretty decent unit. Will post a follow up once i get it into the car.