PDA

View Full Version : DPI updated core policy

Delorean Industries
05-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Trying to get as much exposure on this as possible so that owners are not blindsided by the changes.

DPI Updated Core Policy:

Unfortunately a few owners have ruined it for everyone. Up until now core charges were not paid up front but billed after a short period from purchase. The system worked great with no issues for years. Recently when multiple owners decided to try to take advantage of this policy changes had to be made. In one case a length of time passed with no communication despite multiple attempts resulting in the payment information on file being charged and declined due to a cancelled card. The other being a warm up reg returned with the part number intentionally ground off trying to pass off as a 066 unit. I am not going to single out anyone publicly as this does nothing to help the situation. Instead here is the updated policy for all core related items. If you purchase a fuel distributor, warm reg,calipers,axle shafts etc through our site an additional core charge payment is required. Prior to shipping you will receive a paypal invoice for the core charges associated with the invoice. This charge will be held for 30 days with a 100% refund. After this point no refund will be given. The charge will be steep on fuel distributors as replacements are costly. This is a rebuild exchange program just as other vendors offer. Not the outright purchase of the component which is available per request when required. But as we advertise we take our rebuilds to the next level replacing components others reuse. This isn't possible without the proper cores returned. Cores are to be returned per the purchase agreement emailed upon purchase. Not outright selling to other vendors for an amount exceeding the core charge.

djdogbone
05-15-2014, 11:18 PM
We appreciate what you do for the DMC community. It's a real bummer. This change does not reflect negatively in any way in my eyes. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Rad Dad
05-16-2014, 09:10 AM
You the man! Do what you gotta do!http://dmctalk.org/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

OverlandMan
05-16-2014, 09:43 AM
It's always a few who ruin it for the whole class.

As a fellow business owner, I completely understand Josh.

bdmiko
05-16-2014, 12:04 PM
It is unfortunate that people take advantage of someone for being helpful but it does happen all the time. Your new policy is still more than fair.

eagle-co94
05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
So do you buy cores also? I have a number of parts that could help out with core supply.

acaciolo
05-16-2014, 03:45 PM
I can't think of any type of business that essentially gives you a product for free and hopes you send it back. It is perfectly acceptable and normal to charge for the new part in full, and if the person decides to send back the core, they get a refund. very simple and fair.

tony c

Kane
05-20-2014, 01:48 PM
Cores are to be returned per the purchase agreement emailed upon purchase. Not outright selling to other vendors for an amount exceeding the core charge.

There's you opening yourself up to being taken advantage of again.

I am not a car guy, but it seems to me that the whole core thing is strange. This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one.

But I agree with a previous poster. Charge the "New" price to buy the part, then issue a refund if they return the core (without requiring it). Then they have the option to get some money back or not to bother with it.

30 day deposits and all this just seems strange to me. Then again, the auto service industry does a lot of things that wouldn't fly in other businesses.

DeLorean03
05-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Seeing as how I did not see this until today, this is a prominent business decision that needs to be recognized. Therefore, I am going to sticky this thread until further notice.

DMCMW Dave
05-20-2014, 03:24 PM
This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one. .

How may other industries rebuild the old parts? It's very common in industrial machinery and airplanes.

Not so much in home hardware. I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.

Jonathan
05-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Not so much in home hardware. I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.

Yea, they always come back in such crappy condition. :)

eagle-co94
05-20-2014, 04:26 PM
...I am not a car guy, but it seems to me that the whole core thing is strange. This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one...

I'm guessing that's because most other industries sell their products as consumable/perishable and are continuously redesign products so that the older ones are obsolete and have virtually no shelf life.

Wasn't the DeLorean itself advertised as a car that should last 25 years or more?

dn010
05-20-2014, 04:30 PM
There's you opening yourself up to being taken advantage of again.

I am not a car guy, but it seems to me that the whole core thing is strange. This is the only industry that I know of where you have to turn in your old part when buying another one.

But I agree with a previous poster. Charge the "New" price to buy the part, then issue a refund if they return the core (without requiring it). Then they have the option to get some money back or not to bother with it.

30 day deposits and all this just seems strange to me. Then again, the auto service industry does a lot of things that wouldn't fly in other businesses.

Core charge is nothing new, it is a normal and usual thing when it comes to car parts for new and old vehicles. When you go buy an alternator, certain rotors/drums, starters, even batteries and numerious other parts, the'll charge you then and there a "core charge" and then it gets refunded once you return you old, rebuildable core. The only way around it is if you have your battery, starter, or etc. that you're replacing with you and turn it in right then. If I was in the parts selling situation, I'd do like the parts house and charge the core charge right then and there, and refund once you have the rebuildable core in hand. It's probably a lot of work doing it that way and it pisses some honest buyers off, but it keeps you from being burned in the end. Even stuff on Ebay has core charges they charge right away.

In a similar instance - its just like my parents who run a printing business. They constantly have someone agree to a price, pay when you pick up your job. They do all the work, job is ready and never hear from people again. If they charge it right then and there to begin with they'd never lose out on the money that way - but they don't want to scare people off by making them pay first.

NightFlyer
05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.

Actually, you might be surprised. Vintage refurbished toilets are currently considered in high fashion...

https://deabath.com/Original/Or_Toilets/or_toilets.html

Tillsy
05-20-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't see anyone selling refurbished toilets for example.

What about Gonzo's executive line of used toilets ;)

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=27360

Dangermouse
05-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Gonzo's Game of Thrones?

DeloreanJoshQ
06-22-2014, 09:18 PM
With all due respect, does this post really (still) need to be stickied here instead of in the vendor section?

Delorean Industries
06-22-2014, 09:55 PM
Just PM whomever is a moderator this week. :)