PDA

View Full Version : Tail of the Dragon road on way home from DCS?

Lenny
06-02-2014, 09:12 AM
I was looking at the map and on the way home and about 1 hour south of Knoxville is the "Tail of the Dragon" road, 318 curves in 11 miles. Then we do the road, turn around do it back and then 1 hour back to the interstate.

If you haven't heard of the Tail of the Dragon road here's a couple of links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deals_Gap,_North_Carolina
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/can-you-brave-the-dragon-tail

What do you think? Anyone Interested?

27780 27781 27782 27783

Mark D
06-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I've never driven it myself but I've heard a few stories from a co-worker of mine that it's a really fun drive. If I ever make it down to that part of the country I'd be up for it. I'm gonna miss DCS this year though.

Freaky Beetle
06-02-2014, 09:48 AM
The Dragon is a great stretch of road. I have never taken my DeLorean through it, but my New Beetle group has a yearly rally there. A lot of DMC owners took advantage of the road at DCS 2004. Of course the road took advantage of at least one DMC owner as well...

Michael
06-02-2014, 10:06 AM
I have been on the dragon a few times from my sport bike days. If you can show restraint, it's a fun albeit intense drive. If you go above your limit it will eat your ass. There is no runoff, you make a mistake you can count on a 50-150 foot drop for you and your Delorean. Now couple that with the tons of inexperienced sport bike riders riding over their heads who commonly cross the center line and/or low side.

Don't get me wrong, it's fun, but there is an inherent risk....and you certainly don't want to be the first stainless panel on the Tree of shame.

Bikercmbc
06-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I live 20 min from the Dragon and regularly take my car up there. Michael is right in his write up. if you go in the summer and on the weekend you are not going to fully be able to enjoy the road. there are motorcycles everywhere, you will get stuck behind slow going mini vans, taking blind corners and there will be sports bikes in your lane, etc etc etc.... the best time to go is in the fall during the week days, you can car really enjoy the road for what people drive hours to come see. It is worth it if you have the time and want to drive the road back home, but just get ready. FYI don't speed near the lake before the dragon, and DON'T have any tires cross the yellow lines, cops are over the place up there in the summer and will pull you over real quick if you cross the lines.