PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Charger & Instrument cluster issues

Coulombe
06-05-2014, 07:22 PM
I'm having a problem with a Delorean alternator not charging the battery. If I start the car and then remove the positive cable from the battery, the engine dies. Its not the alternator, it is working fine. All fuses are good. What else could be out to cause this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, the cluster is not fully working. The only items that work on the cluster are the brake light and RPM.

The directional R/L lamps on the inst. cluster are good but won't come on when engaged for signal or hazards. All the R/L tail lights will flash however.
The LAMBDA, OIL, Battery, High Beam lights do not glow when key is in the on position but all lamps are good. The two cable harness that seat into the back of the instrument cluster are seated fine.

All fuses are good. Any Ideas?

Bitsyncmaster
06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
You should not disconnect the battery with the engine running. You could damage many things.

What is the voltage you get when the car is running?

DMCMW Dave
06-05-2014, 09:38 PM
If the battery light does not come on with key on/engine off in run position, the alternator will not charge. Means either a bad alternator or a bad bulb or bulb circuit.

Disconnect the brown/yellow wire from the alternator and ground the wire to the block, repeat the above test. If the bulb does not come on, fix that first.

With so much out in the instrument cluster, I'd start there.

PS another quick test - get a light bulb and connect one end of it to the battery (the starter terminal is handy). Connect the other one to the small (again, brown/yellow) on the alternator. If the light goes on, start the car and see if the battery will charge now. If so you know the alternator is good.

Coulombe
06-06-2014, 03:16 AM
You should not disconnect the battery with the engine running. You could damage many things.

What is the voltage you get when the car is running?

Alternator is new and puts out 14.2 VDC when running

Coulombe
06-06-2014, 03:33 AM
If the battery light does not come on with key on/engine off in run position, the alternator will not charge. Means either a bad alternator or a bad bulb or bulb circuit.

Disconnect the brown/yellow wire from the alternator and ground the wire to the block, repeat the above test. If the bulb does not come on, fix that first.

With so much out in the instrument cluster, I'd start there.

PS another quick test - get a light bulb and connect one end of it to the battery (the starter terminal is handy). Connect the other one to the small (again, brown/yellow) on the alternator. If the light goes on, start the car and see if the battery will charge now. If so you know the alternator is good.

Alternator is new. I have place my new alternator in another Delorean I have in my shop and it operates fine.
The bulbs inside the instrument cluster are all good.

I will test (ground) the Brown/Yellow wire this morning in my shop and let you know what comes of it.

Question; Are you telling me that a blown indicator lamp will stop the battery from being charged in Deloreans?

Coulombe
06-06-2014, 04:37 AM
Alternator is new. I have place my new alternator in another Delorean I have in my shop and it operates fine.
The bulbs inside the instrument cluster are all good.

I will test (ground) the Brown/Yellow wire this morning in my shop and let you know what comes of it.

Question; Are you telling me that a blown indicator lamp will stop the battery from being charged in Deloreans?

OK, I couldn't get back to sleep so I went in to my shop at 4am and worked on the car. Here's what I found......

1- Brown/Yellow wire to alternator was broken inside harness. I fixed wire and this is now the status.

2- With key "ON" but engine "Not On" Oil - battery - Door (cause door is open) all light up/on

3- L/R directional lamps do not light when switch is engaged.

Engine running this is my status:
A- Battery light stays on
B- Alternator not charging battery
C- L/R directional lights do not come on when switch is engaged. (L/R lamps are good)

Any ideas on where to go for the alternator not charging the battery? Remember the alternator is new and has tested good. I even went as far to place it in another Delorean and it charges just fine.

Now with that much off my mind, maybe I can go home and get a few hours sleep!

Coulombe
06-06-2014, 06:03 AM
OK, DMCTALK members. It is now 5:40am, I could not go home and get some extra sleep. My mind wouldn't allow it so.......

Back at the shop, I investigated a little harder and found the problem with my alternator and now she is charging up a storm.

Someone installed a plug set onto the main brown alternator wires about 18 inches back into the taped-up harness. That plug set had a very bad amorism connections that several had come loose. I removed said plug set, soldered and shrink tubed new brown wires and that solved my charging issue.

Thank you DMCMW Dave, for the tip on the brown/yellow wire. Because of that broken wire I decide to check further into the harness.

Now moving onto my other issue with my Directional lights.......

L/R directional lights do not come on when switch is engaged. L/R lamps are good, Flasher relay is flashing, front and rear tail lights are flashing when switch is engaged. When Hazard switch is engaged, L/R lights instrument cluster do not come on/light but all for tail lights will flash.

I'm thinking broken ground tracer in the flexible circuit board. Any other suggestions before I take apart/remove the binnacle loaded down with bolted on and lots of wires connecting to the three props for the Time Machine look?

Bitsyncmaster
06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
You probably have some "mashed up" connection issues with binnacle connectors. The flex traces lift off and the connectors mash them together.

Coulombe
06-06-2014, 07:35 AM
You probably have some "mashed up" connection issues with binnacle connectors. The flex traces lift off and the connectors mash them together.

Yeah, I didn't really want to hear that. (LOL) That means I have to remove the binnacle completely to take a look. Not looking forward it doing that but...... I'll probably attack that binnacle this afternoon. Thank you Bitsyncmaster!