PDA

View Full Version : DeLorean and my future? *Not a pun*

Roman Legion
07-30-2011, 01:59 PM
I was thinking of selling my Mustang when I get back from deployment, despite the fact I will have enough money for a D without selling the 'stang, I really want a D, but do not need two cars or the cost associated with having two. What do you guys think (Advice, options, et cetera..).

louielouie2000
07-30-2011, 02:22 PM
For what it's worth, when I graduated from college in '04 I had both a Mustang GT and a DeLorean. Interestingly enough, whenever I got into the Mustang for a drive, it felt noisy & crude. So I rarely drove it. My DeLorean was my daily car for probably about 3 years, and it was mostly reliable. The only thing I warn against if you do that is burnout. I was in my early 20s at the time, and I just got so sick of every last dollar I made and every extra minute of my time going towards keeping the DeLorean satisfied. :tongue: That's why I needed a DeLorean break and sold the car. You can absolutely have a DeLorean as your only car, but just beware of unforeseen consquences like I encountered.

TheDutchTexan
07-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I say keep the mustang, and don't buy the DeLorean. Why? I posted in another thread where you have issues with buying a single tire, and now you have enough money to buy a DeLorean without selling your mustang?

It does not compute. It does not make any sense. Make damn sure your financial household is in order before you commit to anything that grand! Or did something change in the last week?

sean
07-30-2011, 03:29 PM
IMO, buy a practical and efficient beater car, say a late 90's early 00's Honda. This will make for a cheap daily in the event the D goes down for a bit. Maintenance/tax/insurance would be cheap on that car.

Kenny_Z
07-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Keep in mind that the Delorean as a daily driver can easily cost as much as two cars plus you can't just go down to the local autoparts store and pick up a repair kit.

I have 4 driving cars and the costs associated with having that many really isn't that bad. Two have liability insurance and the other two have full coverage (if i could get insurance back on the D that is). There's no rush to repair one when it goes down. I can take my time and save up the cash if I need some parts while I drive the others.

What year is the Mustang and is it paid off? If so there really isn't any cost above insurance and fuel. Depending on the year I bet it gets better mileage than the D would.

sdg3205
07-30-2011, 07:55 PM
why not get collectors plates for the D and save a bundle of money? Then you can keep the mustang and easily afford the D.

DeLorean03
07-30-2011, 10:12 PM
I would keep that Mustang. I have two vehicles, and when one goes down, the luxury of getting in the other one while you fix the broken one is a feeling that can't be replaced.

Roman Legion
08-01-2011, 08:44 AM
and now you have enough money to buy a DeLorean without selling your mustang?

It does not compute. It does not make any sense. Make damn sure your financial household is in order before you commit to anything that grand! Or did something change in the last week?

No, hence the title "future" and my first post stating "when I get back from deployment" and "will have" not have. I am trying to keep my mind busy and off current reality. I do not have any money, still have the same tire, no gas, same shoes riddled with holes and an expired inspection sticker. As odd as it may seem to most people, Apathy has been the only thing keeping me going.

I would keep that Mustang. I have two vehicles, and when one goes down, the luxury of getting in the other one while you fix the broken one is a feeling that can't be replaced.

Your post reminded me of this song.. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFaqWSd9sjE

TheDutchTexan
08-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Ah, I got were you are coming from now. Looking in your money filled future I would still keep the mustang, just in case the DeLorean spits out something that is rather hard to fix on short notice. You don't want to be stuck at home. Your other car needs to be the workhorse.

Funny... cause it is a Mustang...:rofl:

Besides, your stang is eons faster than the DeLorean, so it'll help you when you feel the need to hoon. DeLoreans are not meant for hooning, especially in stock trim...