PDA

View Full Version : Electrical blinker switch insides. How it works

Some guy
06-13-2014, 06:44 PM
Hi, so i have been have some blinker problems. Then i got the bright idea to open the switch and clean the contacts. That is where i am a little confused. How dose it work? there is 3 contacts and a ball bearing that slides over them.

I put it back together and only the right blinker works.

So my question is; Is it just a ball bearing that connects the leads? If so to fix my left blinker, Should i put a little solder on the contact area to increase the size of it? I am assuming this since i saw one part that looked a little flat.

Ron
06-13-2014, 06:54 PM
There is no left or right to the flasher unit -- That is handled by the turn signal switch (basically, it connects the Green-Red wire, for left, or, Green-White wire, for right, to the flasher).

Some guy
06-13-2014, 07:10 PM
That is what i am trying to find out. What happens inside the switch. a new switch is $130, but i have to pull my steering wheel. (Something i have not had luck with)

So i am trying to use what is all ready there. I can take the switch apart(it is very tight) Once you get inside there is a a wheel with 2 holes for these little bearings. One bearing on top, and one bearing on the bottom. the one on top connects to the leads. (the green..wires)

If it is just the bearing making contact with these leads then i have to make the leads bigger so the ball can touch them. I am wondering if maybe i am missing a part inside like plate of metal to connect something.

Some guy
06-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Ok, so after a weekend of trying, i figured out what is up with my switch. The brass leads inside were a little worn, but that was one issue, the other was after time they got pushed out. I had to break the putty away from the back of the switch and push the contacts back in. Then glue them back in.

I am going to buy a new switch soon, but this will be my temporary fix for now.